12 inch screen went out, two weeks of ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well two weeks into ownership and the 12 inch screen went out today, uggggg any ideas?

View attachment 133182

View attachment 133183

I kind of had the same thing happen to me on the 2nd day of owning mine as well. Except I was reversing in a parking garage and the image got stuck on that. I couldn’t click on anything else on the screen and when I drove it to the dealership, when they turned the truck on they saw the last image that it froze on which was on reverse inside a parking garage lol. They said that a system reset will fix the isssue which luckily did. Never had my screen freeze again (hoping I don’t jinx myself now).

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Try unhooking your battery for a minute. This works on the 8 inch screens so it might work for the 12 also.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Mine just is a black screen today. It’s weird because the screen works. If I can post a vid I will but if I adjust the Climate controls you can see the side bar on the screen but then it just goes blank. I tried turning off and restarting a couple time and sometimes the screen comes up briefly and just goes away. Sometimes it doesn’t come in at all. I guess I’ll try unhooking the battery but it’s going it’s going to the dealership tomorrow anyway so I guess I’ll just add this to the list. Starting to feel a little frustrated with this new truck.

Couldn’t post a video so screenshot instead.

222f698f95284bab0aa76b306fc12905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Well, that made it worse. It came on for about 2 seconds after I hooked the battery back up and went back out. Don’t even see the climate controls now. Guess we’ll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The screen went out in my 18 RAM. It took the dealer almost a month to get the right radio and swap mine out. He acted surprised that there was a problem with the 19 Ram screens.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have had it fail several transitions, temp to usb media player, bluetooth music to bluetooth phone (different sources) and android auto music to sirrus radio. Luckily key of two or three times with complete electrical shut down fixes it. Sure hope they come out with an upgrade soon. This is really disappointing coming from my 2015 which was flawless and I would brag about.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Went to see a movie with the fam (Jurassic World) and started it up when I got home thinking that the heat here in AZ was having fun with all the electronics. My phone has trouble when I’m outside. Screen came on for about 3 seconds and went black. Damn.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Just got an update from the dealer that their normal tricks didn’t work and the unit isn’t throwing any error codes. They have reached out to Ram evidently to see if there are any additional options and also checking with the parts department to see what the lead time is on a new unit. I am not feeling much confidence that it will be back in working order anytime soon. Meanwhile I am driving around in a bright yellow Challenger and driving it like I stole it.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
So update from the dealer, no update. Says they have been working with Dodge’s tech and they can not figure it out but they have not been given the go ahead to replace it yet. Starting to get frustrated at not being able to drive it. BTW, if anyone is ever in the market for a bright yellow base challenger I wouldn’t buy this one unless you want to dump some money into the drive train.

1272e380b3acce2711bfa44c720c9e71.jpgb5bfb4ba5d53e1eb62a2906a4069bb1d.jpg50a47540927fb5526b718b9886342bdf.jpg

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^^. Out of idle curiosity, what’s wrong with its drivetrain ?

19RamLimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had my 2019 Limited at the dealer a few weeks ago for the same types of issues. (Constantly freezing, screen goes black, screen randomly shuts down and restarts, carplay doesn't work) They didn't offer much help because they didn't really have anything to offer me, BUT they did tell me there is a major software update planned for Q3 for the 12 inch radios.

I was told these radios are now being manufactured by Panasonic, and they do not use the same software as previous UConnect radios. Apparently there have been some dummies at dealerships that have completely bricked 12 inch radios by trying to load the old software onto the new radios when customers have come in to report problems!

Keeping my fingers crossed for a solid update, because this thing is clearly a disaster based on the number of complaints already.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Just spoke to the dealer again. They said they they finally have the go ahead to replace the unit [emoji3]...but they have no availability or ETA for a new unit. [emoji30]

My options are to stay in the rental or pick up my truck and drive it without the screen until a replacement part comes in.

Not really sure how much I should complain here. Was going to call Ram to at least get their perspective. I asked him if it’s possible to swap it out for another vehicle and he said that would be up to Ram. I asked if he’s ever seen it happen and he said yes. So, I guess I’m calling Ram.