1500-wanna-bee, but have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikolayK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019-wanna-be
Engine
Hemi or Diesel
Forgive me for skipping introduction in new member area (I think this is lame). I just have some thoughts and questions.
Basically I like lifted trucks, have 4Runner (lifted, and will keep it). But I do like the big trucks especially RAM 1500 and will soon trade my old Escape for one.
But which one, is the 60,000 dollar question.
Personally I like the new grill for Laramie Longhorn and also like the package (all but the 11" screen, will go with 8), also hate large rims (want 18" and want a bit oversized tires as well, 34-35" or so, not bigger). The Rebel comes to mind, but forgive me, I do prefer grill of Longhorn.
Here is question - how do I get most of the 4x4 from Rebel, but keep the Longhorn as "base"?
Also - is this air suspension any good or overrated? Is there a alternative from after-market (that does not run $10,000 but offers smooth ride)?
2019 or 2020? Diesel or HEMI?
I know : too many "rookie" questions, but I need to decide, it is $60,000 after all, must spend wise.

Thanks,
NikolayK

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go take a look and test drive a few different models. I ordered a Longhorn and love it, best truck I've owned bar none.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The off road package will get you the same mechanics and lift of a rebel without a rebel bumper or interior. The rebel does come with a 1/2" taller tire than the off road package if I remember correctly?? I have the ORP but changed my wheels and tires quickly so I can't exactly recall.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you have to be in Texas to get the Longhorn. So you'd be getting a Bighorn. That's what I have. I like it. A lot. Hemi for sure - if you're coming from an Escape you certainly don't need a diesel. If you get the North package 4WD, you'll get 18" wheels with more off-road type tires and *maybe* a lift - there's some debate about this. My truck is definitely taller than the other Bighorns (we've compared it side by side on flat ground) and there's supposed to be a 1" lift on the North packages but I don't know if anyone has been able to confirm what exactly this is - taller springs? Just torsioned taller? Spacers? etc.

I have a 4WD Crew Cab North Edition Bighorn Maximum Steel. Here's my rig, before and after truck cap:

full

full

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you have to be in Texas to get the Longhorn. So you'd be getting a Bighorn. That's what I have. I like it. A lot. Hemi for sure - if you're coming from an Escape you certainly don't need a diesel. If you get the North package 4WD, you'll get 18" wheels with more off-road type tires and *maybe* a lift - there's some debate about this. My truck is definitely taller than the other Bighorns (we've compared it side by side on flat ground) and there's supposed to be a 1" lift on the North packages but I don't know if anyone has been able to confirm what exactly this is - taller springs? Just torsioned taller? Spacers? etc.

I have a 4WD Crew Cab North Edition Bighorn Maximum Steel. Here's my rig, before and after truck cap:

Longhorn definitely isn't just a Texas thing, I believe you are confusing this with the lone star which was a Texas only 4th gen (not sure if they've made these in 5th gens?) that was comparable to a big horn. Longhorn is the western style equivalent of the limited, so top of the line luxury wise.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Coming from a 07 2500 Cummins on 37's with 5" lift my 19 Laramie 4x4 rides on a cloud of pillows. If you plan on lifting your truck stay away from the air ride suspension as most lifts (6") won't work with air susp. My 63k sticker I bought for 47k before my trade which was more than fair so unless your pricing a 70k truck it won't be 60k if you shop around. I scoured the SE to find what I wanted at a no bs price and drove 2 hours to Nc for it. The 1500 rides beautifully but don't take my word for it, go drive a couple.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Longhorn definitely isn't just a Texas thing, I believe you are confusing this with the lone star which was a Texas only 4th gen (not sure if they've made these in 5th gens?) that was comparable to a big horn. Longhorn is the western style equivalent of the limited, so top of the line luxury wise.
Doh! Yes, you are right it's Lone Star not Longhorn. :badger_1:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doh! Yes, you are right it's Lone Star not Longhorn. :badger_1:

Haha yeah the names are pretty close and just by the name longhorn it could certainly be a Texas thing, easy mistake when you look at it that way!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgive me for skipping introduction in new member area (I think this is lame). I just have some thoughts and questions.
Basically I like lifted trucks, have 4Runner (lifted, and will keep it). But I do like the big trucks especially RAM 1500 and will soon trade my old Escape for one.
But which one, is the 60,000 dollar question.
Personally I like the new grill for Laramie Longhorn and also like the package (all but the 11" screen, will go with 8), also hate large rims (want 18" and want a bit oversized tires as well, 34-35" or so, not bigger). The Rebel comes to mind, but forgive me, I do prefer grill of Longhorn.
Here is question - how do I get most of the 4x4 from Rebel, but keep the Longhorn as "base"?
Also - is this air suspension any good or overrated? Is there a alternative from after-market (that does not run $10,000 but offers smooth ride)?
2019 or 2020? Diesel or HEMI?
I know : too many "rookie" questions, but I need to decide, it is $60,000 after all, must spend wise.

Thanks,
NikolayK

Like you, I seem to always want portions of different packages, which are often not available separately. So decide what the perfect truck would be for you, then choose the package that has most of that. Also keep in mind, you can add/delete some things after you get the truck... but cost comes into play here.

When I was buying a power wagon, what I wanted was the laramie interior but with a tradesman type exterior. Of course, they dont offer that. So I opted for buying the laramie power wagon, and I can detune the exterior as I see fit.

As far as air suspension goes, I personally think I would stay away from it. From what I have gathered, as far as ride quality goes the coil springs are better (although both are very good).

Thats an issue I have been having with choosing a new 1500. I would really prefer the limited interior/exterior, but I dont want the air suspension that is standard on it ugh.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as air suspension goes, I personally think I would stay away from it. From what I have gathered, as far as ride quality goes the coil springs are better (although both are very good).

Thats an issue I have been having with choosing a new 1500. I would really prefer the limited interior/exterior, but I dont want the air suspension that is standard on it ugh.

Agreed, when I look for my next truck it will likely be a 5th gen and the air suspension on the limited is a deal breaker. I'd have to go with another longhorn, although I think the laramie with sport hood/color matched are the best looking exterior wise.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed, when I look for my next truck it will likely be a 5th gen and the air suspension on the limited is a deal breaker. I'd have to go with another longhorn, although I think the laramie with sport hood/color matched are the best looking exterior wise.

I totally agree lol. As far as exteriors go, I am digging the laramie with color matched sport package. Not that the interior is bad, its just not quite as nice as the limited or longhorn. And I like the exterior of the rebel a lot too, but cant stand the red bits in the interior (alrhough my salesman said that might be an option to opt out of soon).

Is the longhorn available without the air suspension? I will have to look into that package.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I totally agree lol. As far as exteriors go, I am digging the laramie with color matched sport package. Not that the interior is bad, its just not quite as nice as the limited or longhorn. And I like the exterior of the rebel a lot too, but cant stand the red bits in the interior (alrhough my salesman said that might be an option to opt out of soon).

Is the longhorn available without the air suspension? I will have to look into that package.

Yep I completely agree with you across the board. And yes the longhorn is available without it thankfully, I currently have a 17 longhorn and don't care for all of the "western" stuff but I really love the cattle tan and black interior, just something different than black or gray. Looks like on the 5th gen they've changed up the cattle tan and black interior just a bit, but it's still my favorite interior color, especially when it's properly matched to an exterior color (like delmonico red).

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep I completely agree with you across the board. And yes the longhorn is available without it thankfully, I currently have a 17 longhorn and don't care for all of the "western" stuff but I really love the cattle tan and black interior, just something different than black or gray. Looks like on the 5th gen they've changed up the cattle tan and black interior just a bit, but it's still my favorite interior color, especially when it's properly matched to an exterior color (like delmonico red).

Yep, I just checked a bunch out on car gurus. That cattle/black package looks great. Definitely can get it without the air suspension too.. maybe thats the way for me to go. Hmmmmm.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove a Big Horn and Laramie with 18" tires and loved em. The older I get the smaller the tire. It's all about ride and comfort to me now.

19sport.jpg

At first, I didn't like the look of the sport appearance package but I think

now it may be one of the better lookin Big Horns. I got my best quote on this pne in Delmonico with the Level 2 package, dealer has FIVE of em, I'm waiting till next week thinking it may get better come Aug 1. At worse I'm thinkin it'll stay the same. Dealers have too many 19s and classics on their lots.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the longhorn have cooled seats in back? I know the laramie dosnt have the option.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I just checked a bunch out on car gurus. That cattle/black package looks great. Definitely can get it without the air suspension too.. maybe thats the way for me to go. Hmmmmm.

Yeah I think that's where I hope to be looking in 2-3 years once I'm done with my current ram.

Does the longhorn have cooled seats in back? I know the laramie dosnt have the option.

It's optional in the longhorn I believe (same for the limited?), I know I have seen them in some longhorn/limiteds but I've seen some without them as well.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Big horns that are sold in Texas as Lonestar Edition. They have them in Gen 5. It’s just a Bighorn with a different emblem. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NikolayK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019-wanna-be
Engine
Hemi or Diesel
Oh, man. Thanks to everyone so far. I think all my questions are pretty much answered.
I am a bit surprised to have advise to stay away from air, but realistically you right - I should drive all possible options to decide... which is exactly what I do not have time to do :(duh...)
I thought Rebel has more than just standard 4x4 package. Isn't it? But then again, I don't really know if I need any specialty 4x4 thing. Like many, I mostly like the look of the truck plus I do like smooth ride.
Taking it off-road is a rare opportunity for me as I do not currently live (Chicago) where off-roads rule. I do like to occasionally take ride into Colorado in winter, going over passes like Monarch with 1 foot of fresh powder. But that's like once a winter if I am lucky.
So most likely it's going to be Longhorm. Black. With canopy added.
BTW: What are the canopy options? Leer stands, but I saw a Z2 looking very nice too.

NikolayK

Oh, I don't ride Escape, my wife does and we are getting rid of that jerky. My current is 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited - sweet as pure sugar. Wife gets it after I get RAM.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big horns that are sold in Texas as Lonestar Edition. They have them in Gen 5. It’s just a Bighorn with a different emblem. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha that sounds about right.