17’ Ram 5.7 Fuel Pump HP Limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is it the container that holds the stock fuel pump the hang up I take it? I should have paid more attention when I dropped the tank to fix my fuel level sender. Just realized the replacement lasted longer than the original.

So the plastic holding the stock pump needs to be modified to hold the aftermarket pump? Check. I should order a stock replacement pump setup and an aftermarket pump. See what I can come up with. I wish I had more need around fuel system.
Yes, most of the aftermarket fuel pumps are too small in diameter for the stock housing. There is quite a large difference between the plastic hole in the housing and the new pumps.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I sent this post to a buddy with a printer,he's in Texas,but i'm not sure how close you and him would be. He makes more stuff for the cars then trucks,but i'm sure he'd make stuff for the trucks to.
I'm in Waxahachie,TX about 30 mike's south of Downtown Dallas. Send me a PM and I'll pass along my email and contact info.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think he's still a member on here,and i told him about this thread Fast,so hopefully he checks it out soon.
He's Icarbon and his name is Chad Hayden,you can also find him on this page Fast.

(1) Challenger 1320 Scat Pack Performance Mods and Drag Racing information | Groups | Facebook
Cool man. I'll look him up. I'd love to see if we could 3D print a part that would make the Walbro and DW400 fuel pumps fit the 4th Gen housing. That would be great if we could come up with something.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cool man. I'll look him up. I'd love to see if we could 3D print a part that would make the Walbro and DW400 fuel pumps fit the 4th Gen housing. That would be great if we could come up with something.

I was just talking to him,he should pop in fairly soon Fast.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

That's awesome!

Have you bypassed the internal pressure regulator? It looks to me like the lines just need to be reroute from pump to top hat.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's awesome!

Have you bypassed the internal pressure regulator? It looks to me like the lines just need to be reroute from pump to top hat.
Yes, I bypass the regulator in the factory housing and use an external regulator with a return instead of a dead-head system.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Yes, I bypass the regulator in the factory housing and use an external regulator with a return instead of a dead-head system.

On EFI systems and the fact we don't run carbs are return line even necessary?

I mean I get the whole fuel cooling thing but other than that?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On EFI systems and the fact we don't run carbs are return line even necessary?

I mean I get the whole fuel cooling thing but other than that?

Less pressure drop with a moving column of fuel then a stopped /dead head column of fuel when the regulator opens.When the regulator opens on a stopped column of fuel,the initial pressure drop is enough to cause a lean situation.It's easier to accelerate a moving mass then it is a stopped mass

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Less pressure drop with a moving column of fuel then a stopped /dead head column of fuel when the regulator opens.When the regulator opens on a stopped column of fuel,the initial pressure drop is enough to cause a lean situation.It's easier to accelerate a moving mass then it is a stopped mass
Yup, totally agree. I much rather have a return style system over a dead-head system due to tht pressure/volume loss which can create an engine damaging lean condition. On the deadhead systems when that lean condition is created the fuel pump has to work extra hard to compensate for the pressure drop. If the pump is lacking in any way it will not be able to compensate until the demand is lowered.

A return style system is so easy to install and it can be done relatively cheap.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I don't think a lot of guys know you can setup your own system for much less than the kits being offered. Some of the kits are $1000-2000.

I wasn't going to do boost but after that damn TRX released I can't sit on the porch. :D
So my need for more fuel system will be coming shortly. Thanks for the heads up.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't think a lot of guys know you can setup your own system for much less than the kits being offered. Some of the kits are $1000-2000.

I wasn't going to do boost but after that damn TRX released I can't sit on the porch. :D
So my need for more fuel system will be coming shortly. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah the return style systems can get pricey real quick. I have $237 in my return system.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the link! It even gives dimensions which is a huge help.
Yes. For sure. I've got some other brands of pumps on the way so I can put together a list of what fits. I had some decent luck today with a GM pump for a 2016 Corvette Z06. The fuel pump fit the 4th gen housing with little issue and the pump is for the 650hp supercharged 6.2 LT4

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow this is great news. I’m running a kenne Bell BAP on my 17’ Whipple Ram. At 11psi on E60 my Demon injectors are tapped. My ID1050X’s will be here Thursday. I’m trying to find a upgraded pump for the factory housing. I read this post and just so happen to have a C7 ZR1/19+ ZO6 fuel tank sending unit I never ended up putting in my ZO6. Would it be worth it just taking that pump out of that sending unit and using it my Ram?

At 21V the fuel pump is keeping up just fine. I think 17.5V would get the job done but I need to get the injectors from going static before I can play with anything else.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Great post and information! Wish this had been around when I was modifying my fuel system!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow this is great news. I’m running a kenne Bell BAP on my 17’ Whipple Ram. At 11psi on E60 my Demon injectors are tapped. My ID1050X’s will be here Thursday. I’m trying to find a upgraded pump for the factory housing. I read this post and just so happen to have a C7 ZR1/19+ ZO6 fuel tank sending unit I never ended up putting in my ZO6. Would it be worth it just taking that pump out of that sending unit and using it my Ram?

At 21V the fuel pump is keeping up just fine. I think 17.5V would get the job done but I need to get the injectors from going static before I can play with anything else.
I have had good results with the C7 Corvette Z06 pumps. The last Z06 I tuned still had the stock GM low pressure pump in the tank and it was able to support 710hp to the wheels without having the injector duty cycle go through the roof.

I installedd a C7 Z06 pump in a 2009 RAM fuel pump module two days ago without issue. It fit quite well.

OP
OP
MurderHemi

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had good results with the C7 Corvette Z06 pumps. The last Z06 I tuned still had the stock GM low pressure pump in the tank and it was able to support 710hp to the wheels without having the injector duty cycle go through the roof.

I installedd a C7 Z06 pump in a 2009 RAM fuel pump module two days ago without issue. It fit quite well.

Great info and thank you. I will take my 19+ C7Z/ZR1 pump that’s actually supposed to flow even more and put it in my Ram then. Did you connect the check valve and lines like factory? I have a BAP on my C7Z and also a auxiliary fuel system. On 19psi and E60 the low side doesn’t budge. This is a 2650 blower heads cam high compression setup that is somewhere around 950-1000whp.