1995 Trans Temp Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brewer362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a1995 Ram 3500 with 5.9 Cummins and stock automatic transmission. The transmission pulls great, but if sitting in traffic or driving stop and go or doing alot of backing with a heavy trailer, the transmission temp begans to creep up and up. When it gets to a point the trans begans to slip a little. It drops when I get back on the open road. Anyone have this problem or added a bigger cooler etc. Just got this old truck so not sure how long its been doing it. Any advice appreciated.

bigdodge

Reaction score
There is a check valve in one of the lines going to the front of the truck in my 46re. Prevents the torque converter from draining and it can get clogged with debris. That's one thing that could cause high temps

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I had my 95 2500 diesel I would turn the overdrive off when in those type of situations. Never had any over heating or slipping. Don't know if it helped, but I also had a Mag-Hytec double deep transmission pan on it. If I had to sit in traffic for any amount of time I would put the trans in neutral as well. I still do that with my 1500.