1996 2500 Low Beams and High Beams both out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LISA MACDONALD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L I6 Cummings Diesel
We have an old 1996 Ram 2500, the low beams haven't worked since we got it. We replaced the interior pull switch hoping that would fix the low beams. It never did, but high beams have worked fine this whole time.

Last night I went to get groceries, and when I came out, the high beams had stopped working also. I had to drive home in the dark with just my ambers.

I spent a long time last night trying to figure out where the fuse is, but never was able to figure it out.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I plan to check all the fuses in the cab and under the hood when it stops storming, but if you all could save me a few hours with some ideas that would be amazing.

Extra note: my grandpa - the only owner - had rewired the power windows to work when the key is not in the ignition.

Kodachrome Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360 V8
I know this is going to be a very odd question, but have you checked the bulbs to verify the have not burned out? I have seen a few cars where both lamps blew at around the same time, and the suspect concern was something more serious while it was just a burned out filament.

Otherwise, I'd start working backwards checking for voltage at the headlight connector, then probably back towards the switch.

OP
OP
LISA MACDONALD

LISA MACDONALD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L I6 Cummings Diesel
I know this is going to be a very odd question, but have you checked the bulbs to verify the have not burned out? I have seen a few cars where both lamps blew at around the same time, and the suspect concern was something more serious while it was just a burned out filament.

Otherwise, I'd start working backwards checking for voltage at the headlight connector, then probably back towards the switch.
Actually, No... I will today though. I didn't suspect them since both went at the same time. I'll check those first, then start poking around.