1996 Dodge 1500 - Looking for MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Problem is my pockets aren't deep at all. So I need to economize a bit so I can get all the part to repair the truck...

don't plan on mod'ing a bunch I plan on getting the highest MPG's possible from this truck. This is the only other stand-in truck I've got just in case the 02 Cummins should happen to fail or breakdown. I don't live in the city everything is over 3 hour (180 miles 1 way) drive too.

So getting a running total on RockAuto.Com for...
  • Valve Cover Gaskets - $22
  • Intake Gasket Set (as seen in the other post) $30
  • MAP Sensor $52
Comes to a total of $104 bucks... Not done yet.
  • 2 Gallons of coolant - $13 bucks a gallon
  • 2 Gallons of Engine Oil - $11 bucks a gallon
  • Oil Filter - $8
So now I'm at $160 bucks for all that stuff...

Just for the plenum from Hughes is $120 Bucks... So for everything else I would be then up to $250 bucks... Just can't do it... I guess next time when my pocket are deep and I'm rolling in the cash I'll put the mod to it but right now I need the truck reliable and running!

The Hughes Kit comes with all the gaskets & bolts, (EXCEPT MANIFOLD BOLTS) as I read their page. The only thing you don't get is the bypass hose which is a must from everything I read. Another Dodge Truck forum I belong to has discussed this topic in great length including a lot of mods you can do to the manifold like shorting the runners & porting & polishing. Also TB mods of polishing. I have read a ton on this subject. The reason why is I have to do this to my Jeep. My choice is to have a shop that does work for me when I don't want to fool with something do the job for me.

Mopar, I know where New Meadows is. I also live about two hours from a city of any size. PM me if you want to read a bunch more on this subject & I'll give you the sites.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would pay the extra 110 for the long term reliability. Just makes sense imo

ncdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's up guys! Been lurking for sometime now and since there's no forum for the Dakota trucks I decided to sign up and get in on some of these great conversations. Even though I don't own a Ram, I've owned a '01 Dakota RT for 11 years now and have become very familiar with the 5.9 engines. Performance and mpg has always been my objective with my truck and maybe I'll be able to pass along a few tricks I've learned over the years.

I've been reading this thread and see a lot of you are wanting to replace the steel belly pan with the Hughes aluminum setup but their crazy high prices are holding you back. Here's a link to the exact same type aluminum belly pan repair kit for a fraction of the costs. DODGE JEEP ALUMINUM PLENUM BELLY PAN 318 360 5.2 5.9 | eBay

This seller also has a setup for you guys who have or are thinking about a modified 'kegger' intake. DODGE JEEP ALUMINUM V-RAM PLENUM BELLY PAN 318 360 5.2 5.9 FOR MODDED KEGGERS | eBay

If you're looking for a modified TB, he also has those in the 50mm, 52mm for the 5.9's and even has them for the 4.7's.

I done all the above mods plus a 180* stat, 1.7 HS RR's, true 2.5" w/Flowmaster 40's duals, open element air breather, Ford 4 hole injectors and a few more to my 5.9 and getting 16-16.5 mpg city/18.5-19 mpg hwy. Plenty of power plus real decent mpg is a win win for me.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
It was confirmed by a friend that works for a Dodge Dealer as a mechanic.

not trying to be a ******* here, but i have seen way to many dealership mechanics that donnt know there ass from a hole in the ground.

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
ncdak... Thanks for the links and tidbit of info...

If all the plenum is a alminum cover I got a guy down the road from that can sell me the alminum for cheap and then I got a buddy just south of me with a machine shop I'm sure I can still build the cover for much less. (He owes me a few favors).

Mopar1973Man said:
This is the only other stand-in truck I've got just in case the 02 Cummins should happen to fail or breakdown.

As for the truck it gets driven now only 4-5K a YEAR! This is NOT a daily driver and rarely goes long haul. I'm pretty sure a gasket will last at least 20-30K miles hmmm... 20K / 4K = about 5 years... Give you an idea the last time the truck got fuel was back at the end of July 2011... Not like the truck gets driven much and I really can't see dumping hundred dollar on a piece of alminum...

This why I'm not worried about using a stock gasket kit...

Last edited:

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
good thread i'm trying to figure out how to get better mpgs with my 5.9 i drive a lot so this will help.

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
good thread i'm trying to figure out how to get better mpgs with my 5.9 i drive a lot so this will help.

Hang around... I'm going to get busy with the truck in the following weeks using the knowledge from my 02 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins Diesel) towards the 96 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9L magnum) I should be capable of getting above 10-11 MPG as it stands now. I'll do a run with the truck this week before starting repairs and show you what my ScanGauge II reports.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
not trying to be a ******* here, but i have seen way to many dealership mechanics that donnt know there ass from a hole in the ground.

I agree a lot of those guys are dummies. But the guy I know is not one of them. He has so much side work going on that he is planning on opening his own shop In Reno NV soon. I know him pretty well, he is the boyfriend to my wife's cousin. He has 20+ years experience.

Mopar-- Yea go talk to the machine shop & see what they tell you. I doubt unless you are good friends with them you will be able to save much remember the plate is between $60-$70 then the gaskets are the difference.
But heck if your machine shop can build them cheaper lets us know I'm sure they can sell a bunch. There are only two suppliers of these plates that I know of. A machine shop in Saratoga, California & Hughes Engines. The shop in California is higher than Hughes.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
ncdak... Thanks for the links and tidbit of info...

If all the plenum is a alminum cover I got a guy down the road from that can sell me the alminum for cheap and then I got a buddy just south of me with a machine shop I'm sure I can still build the cover for much less. (He owes me a few favors).

Do that, saves you a bunch of money, and would get done while its out. There are people who have done this cause that's all it is, straight alluminum.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
I agree a lot of those guys are dummies. But the guy I know is not one of them. He has so much side work going on that he is planning on opening his own shop In Reno NV soon. I know him pretty well, he is the boyfriend to my wife's cousin. He has 20+ years experience

glad you know a good one. they are few and far between. the last one i tried to talk to didnt even know what fuel synch was or how to set it.

ncdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be out of line and if so, I apologize in advance, but why would anybody want to pay $145 including shipping cost for the Hughes plate kit when you can get the plate & bolts off ebay for $67 shipped and a Felpro gasket set form O'Reilly's for $25 (total $92). Looks like a win-win to me.

Even if you do know somebody that can make one unless they owe you some kind of big favor, I don't believe you can get it for less the $67 and then you'll still need to source the new bolts.

Don't know about you guys but I'm all about saving a dollar anytime I can.

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I may be out of line and if so, I apologize in advance, but why would anybody want to pay $145 including shipping cost for the Hughes plate kit when you can get the plate & bolts off ebay for $67 shipped and a Felpro gasket set form O'Reilly's for $25 (total $92). Looks like a win-win to me.

Even if you do know somebody that can make one unless they owe you some kind of big favor, I don't believe you can get it for less the $67 and then you'll still need to source the new bolts.

Don't know about you guys but I'm all about saving a dollar anytime I can.

Where's the "Thank you" button when you need it...

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
the one posted that is on ebay, is made by the a recent RF member (same username).

I talked to him about it a few weeks ago. he seems very knowledgeable. the price isnt bad compared to Hughes. the plate only sells at Hughes for $93

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I had to run up to New Meadows, ID so I pick up some fresh fuel (Super Unleaded) and hit the hardware store for a few tidbits for a generator project.

But here ya go...
[yt]8I7JOW3tFUo[/yt]

Parts should be here by tomorrow...

Last edited:

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i cannt see anything.........

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What was the temptress on the radio talking about ?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
there is nothing but a big box up there. got the youtube link though.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wish I was getting 13+mpg in mine lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk