1997 5.9 L Truck just died on freeway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Hey there fellow Gen 2ers. I was happily driving on the freeway Sunday and all of a sudden, smooth as could be, truck died. I was able to coast smoothly to the shoulder. It was so smooth- surprised me that it would be so smooth and I reiterate that here in case it’s a clue for someone.
Truck is a 1997 5.9L gas engine. 323k miles. Was running like a top when this happened.

I had my mechanic friend look at it and he said I have no spark. I think he checked at the coil connection. Been reading in the service manual and holy cow! Lots of possibilities!

I’m not opposed to towing it to a shop but I’d like to know what’s wrong before I do that. Or some idea of what is wrong.

Any thoughts? I’ve read that camshaft position senor ( or was that crankshaft?) fail can shut down the engine.

This weekend I was going to try to look into the distributor. But it was so sudden and smooth...

I don’t hear fuel pump going on when I turn the key on. Not sure if that is meaningful or not. Haven’t confirmed but just can’t hear it. Also the fuel pump was replaced about one year ago.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
It could be a number of things. If it has no spark I would start with a new distributor cap rotary button then listen to hear fuel pump. I would also check your ground the other day at work a coworker's jeep just died as he pulled into the parking lot ran fine until then. It turned out to be the ground from the firewall to the motor. Just something to check. I hope you get it fixed let us know what it is when you find out.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disconnect the battery, then reconnect it and crank it - see if it sets any codes.

Cam (part in the distributor ) or crank sensor can cause what happened.
No fuel could too.
Bad wire could too.
Bad coil could, but usually sputters a bit more.
Quite a few possibilities.

Checking for codes is a good place to start and some codes will not show up until after a battery disconnect and retry of starting - at least on most of the older Mopar lines. I dealt mainly with cars but mopar is pretty good about keeping the computer stuff pretty standard.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
If the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor is bad I'm not 100% positive but I think it will cause the engine computer to turn off automatic shutdown (ASD)relay. This maybe why you don't have spark

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Disconnected the battery. Reconnected.
Turned key to start.
No codes!
Did not start.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cranked? Did it actually run????

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Cranked? Did it actually run????

Oh no no no... I misused the term. I tried to start but it did not.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it crank over at least?

If you cleared the computer correctly and cranked it over and not any codes, usually that will set the cam or crank code.

Do you have a scanner that can see sensors?

Do you hear the fuel pump for like 5 seconds when you first turn the key to the "run" position?
You may need 2 people - one to turn the key, one under the truck to hear the pump.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Lady, you have to have fuel delivery to have a spark, Possible fuel pump relay or fuel pressure regulator, and that new pump could possibly be bad, you said when you cycle the key you don't hear it cycle. hope this helps!!!

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Hi Lady, you have to have fuel delivery to have a spark, Possible fuel pump relay or fuel pressure regulator, and that new pump could possibly be bad, you said when you cycle the key you don't hear it cycle. hope this helps!!!

Thanks for this info. I was not aware of this detail. I thought it was the other way around... that I needed spark to get fuel.
My understanding now is that when the key turns on the fuel pump starts and there should be a momentary electrical pulse on the fuel injectors? Then... if turn on is not completed the auto shut off relay cuts everything off.
I’m reading the service manual and also got a short troubleshoot sequence from online that will check to see if the PCM is active or dead.
They seem to be saying that if the PCM is working I’ll get that momentary activity when the key goes on...
I’m flying blind here!

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Does it crank over at least?

If you cleared the computer correctly and cranked it over and not any codes, usually that will set the cam or crank code.

Do you have a scanner that can see sensors?

Do you hear the fuel pump for like 5 seconds when you first turn the key to the "run" position?
You may need 2 people - one to turn the key, one under the truck to hear the pump.

Not sure what “crank over “ means I guess. When I turn the key to start it tries to start , no dead battery, but won’t start.
I don’t have a scanner.
I’ll try listening for the pump under the truck. But I don’t think it’s there.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fuel pump is in the gas tank, another thing how old is the fuel filter?, and crank over means the engine turning over and tries to start thats a good sigh take the air cleaner off and pour a little gas down the throttle body if it starts its starving for fuel so its fuel related.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you turn the key from "off" to "run" (not start), the fuel pump should run for about 5 seconds.

It may not be easy to hear, which is why I suggested 2 people.

If you don't hear it, another option would be to get a rubber hammer or something and smack the bottom of the fuel tank right under where the fuel pump sits - I have gotten a fuel pump to start running doing this trick dozens of times - usually only a short term fix.
Smack the tank when someone else turns the key from off to run.

You really need a decent scanner and voltmeter most likely if you want to trouble shoot vs. flying blind or parts hanging.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
When you turn the key from "off" to "run" (not start), the fuel pump should run for about 5 seconds.

It may not be easy to hear, which is why I suggested 2 people.

If you don't hear it, another option would be to get a rubber hammer or something and smack the bottom of the fuel tank right under where the fuel pump sits - I have gotten a fuel pump to start running doing this trick dozens of times - usually only a short term fix.
Smack the tank when someone else turns the key from off to run.

You really need a decent scanner and voltmeter most likely if you want to trouble shoot vs. flying blind or parts hanging.

Fuel pump is running for short few seconds when key is turned to run. I did not know I had to listen the first few seconds or I was missing it.

This is good. I’m narrowing things down.

I do have a voltmeter.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
There is a ground located behind the a/c clutch . It is designated as a critical ground in the service manual. Engine will not run without it. It appears to be two wires.
When I try to read continuity to battery negative it is very hard to get continuity at the wire attach point. I can read it on the surrounding metal but not consistently at the wire. Something fishy there.
It looks like these wires at soldered directly to the clutch wheel ( I know I’m calling it the wrong thing... sorry)
In the service manual it looks bolted on like a normal ground.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is usually a pretty big cable going from the battery to that area, is that the cable you are referring to?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you did the battery disconnect, how did you do it?

You need to disconnect the negative battery cable, let it sit with the cable off for at least 20 minutes.
I also like to hold the key in the start position for 10 seconds with the negative cable off.
Then reconnect the negative cable and try to start. Then check for codes.

If you didn't wait long enough or drain the electrical load, you may not have done a true reset.

OP
OP
DodgeLady

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
When you did the battery disconnect, how did you do it?

You need to disconnect the negative battery cable, let it sit with the cable off for at least 20 minutes.
I also like to hold the key in the start position for 10 seconds with the negative cable off.
Then reconnect the negative cable and try to start. Then check for codes.

If you didn't wait long enough or drain the electrical load, you may not have done a true reset.

I did not have the negative cable off 20 minutes. Only disconnected and then reconnected. I did not turn the key on at all while the battery was disconnected. I did have codes in there that were gone after the disconnect. Those codes were cylinder 2,3 misfire and multiple cylinder misfire. Po302, 303 I think.

With negative cable OFF turn key to start for 10 seconds?

Then put cable on and try to start for how long?

Thanks. I would love to get a code!!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You only need to crank it for about 10 secs or so.

Usually if it is a cam or crank sensor it will throw a code after a battery clear and if it doesn't see any signal.