1999 wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I’ve got an odd thing going on. My 1999 has been sitting for about a month, tried to move it today and the ignition just clicks. Put a charger on it all day and battery tests fine. When I turn the ignition I get a click and then nothing, even the dome light goes out. If I pull a battery lead off and back on I get power again but as soon as I turn the key it happens again, click and the dead, no power. The other odd thing is a couple times I hear this click click click noise from the rear seat door panel area - no idea what that could be!!

All ideas welcome,
Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Exactly what I did this evening. Battery load tested fine. Terminals cleaned an tightened. Same result. I think tomorrow I’ll pick up a new set of terminals and replace them just to make sure.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a voltage drop test, from positive terminal to positive connection on starter. May read 12, but when a helper turns the key see if it drops out. Could be a bad area in the positive wire going down there. If it was the solenoid i wouldn't think the lights would dim or go out. This is a sign your losing power to all other systems in the truck, narrowing your search.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
After sitting for a month, there is also a chance the starter motor is froze up and when you try to start it, it loads down the entire power system and (among other things) messes up the ECU. When you pull the battery post and put it back on, the ECU resets and is fine. Until you do it again. Not sure about the clicking behind the seat. My 2000's anti-lock brake pump would make a couple funny noises when I turned the key. Good luck and please pass what you find. I'm curious.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After sitting for a month, there is also a chance the starter motor is froze up and when you try to start it, it loads down the entire power system and (among other things) messes up the ECU. When you pull the battery post and put it back on, the ECU resets and is fine. Until you do it again. Not sure about the clicking behind the seat. My 2000's anti-lock brake pump would make a couple funny noises when I turned the key. Good luck and please pass what you find. I'm curious.

This is great advise. Also curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
you can always try to jump the starter relay. If the starter wont turn when you jump it then it could have a dead spot. If it does turn, then it could be your cables.

OP
OP
B

blinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Finally had time t9 get to an auto parts shop today. Cut both ground and positive battery clamps off. Stripped the wires to get good copper and clapped on new terminals. Started on the second crank [emoji16]
Thanks everyone