1st Day Owning 2019 RAM 3500 - CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram3500Owner1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Have 146.5 miles in new truck, CEL came on just before i got to driveway.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2017 threw a few codes when it was new as well.

Go see your dealer and have them scan the code and fix it. Make sure they give you a service report listing the code(s) and the description(s).

OP
OP
Ram3500Owner1971

Ram3500Owner1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
My 2017 threw a few codes when it was new as well.

Go see your dealer and have them scan the code and fix it. Make sure they give you a service report listing the code(s) and the description(s).

I am getting ready to do that now. Was just a real shock to me. I've always bought used, and this is my first new, first RAM, first diesel, I've looked at truck **** for years dreaming for this truck.

The funny thing is I can't recall if I've ever had a check engine light come on in my used vehicles, I guess I've been lucky.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is no fuel cap.

Yeah...some of us diesel owners didn't get a cap. I was OK with it except it makes it too easy for fuel thieves.

So I went to Geno's Garage and got me a cap for the fuel and the DEF tanks.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am getting ready to do that now. Was just a real shock to me. I've always bought used, and this is my first new, first RAM, first diesel, I've looked at truck **** for years dreaming for this truck.

The funny thing is I can't recall if I've ever had a check engine light come on in my used vehicles, I guess I've been lucky.

yeah...I was on my first short road trip to Southern Oregon when mine threw a code. It was a DEF system regen failure, which should not have been happening as I was running at freeway speeds in good weather.

I've had new and used vehicles throw codes and in some cases it was only a momentary glitch. In other cases it meant a brand new engine installation.

Good luck at the dealer and let us know what they find.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah...some of us diesel owners didn't get a cap. I was OK with it except it makes it too easy for fuel thieves.

So I went to Geno's Garage and got me a cap for the fuel and the DEF tanks.

The tank has an anti siphons valve so any would be fuel thief wouldn’t succeed anyway.

The cap is a good idea though, keeps dirt and crap out of the filler tubes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The cap is a good idea though, keeps dirt and crap out of the filler tubes.
A locking cap also keeps any mischievous peoples from adding stuff to the tank that doesn't belong.

OP
OP
Ram3500Owner1971

Ram3500Owner1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Welp... I pulled up to the shop entrance and a gentleman came out to ask me what they could do for me, and I said - "I have this check engine light..... which appears to not be on now. Apparently all I needed to do was threaten my truck with service."

He laughed and said that it could have been a fluke code that was tripped and since I had driven it since last night, you probably made enough stops for it to clear. If the truck has made 3 trips and during those trips, if the code isn't in the computer during that operation, it will clear itself.

So anyways... nothing happened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990