1st oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanAmMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting ready to change the oil in my 5.7 hemi '19 Rebel.
Got my filter - Wix 57060
Now just wondering about oil.
Salesman said that is has the synthetic blend from factory?
Is this correct?
Just looked in the owners manual and all I could find is 5W-20 but no mention of synthetic or synthetic blend.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Doesnt really matter what the factory fill was, run your oil of choice. I prefer a good synthetic myself. Also the wix 57899 fits and is larger thus more filter area.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree with above post, put the oil in you want. I run synthetic but if you want a blend that will work also.

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just an fyi. This is from the manual

Synthetic Engine Oils You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed. Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---I always let the dealer do the first oil change on any new Ram I buy. The reason being, I believe that the factory employs an 800 lb. giant that installs the oil filter and he torques it at about 1000.(really it's a robot). That may be a little exaggerated but the damn thing is tight and I mean really tight from the factory. I figure let them deal with trying to get it off the first time, then I can do the oil changes myself from then on. Just my experiences--yours might be different.
Jay

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I was prepared for applying some serious torque to remove my oil filter for the first change but I could remove my filter with my hand. Maybe I was just lucky.

I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 (with a Mobil 1 filter) and have been happy with it. My truck seems to like it too.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO---I always let the dealer do the first oil change in any new Ram I buy. The reason being, I believe that the factory employs an 800 lb. giant that installs the oil filter and he torques it at about 1000.(really it's a robot). That may be a little exaggerated but the damn thing is tight and I mean really tight from the factory. I figure let them deal with trying to get it off the first time, then I can do the oil changes myself from then on. Just my experiences--your might be different.
Jay
I

Wonder if that is the test mopar used to verify their oil filters meet the spec.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The filter on mine was very tight. Full synthetic for me. I put a K&N filter on 1" nut end for easy removal. Also used a 1 gallon zip lock bag around the filter to catch a lot of the oil during removal and it worked well, my thanks to whoever posted that as a solution to getting oil all over the place.

HockeyPops

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO---I always let the dealer do the first oil change in any new Ram I buy. The reason being, I believe that the factory employs an 800 lb. giant that installs the oil filter and he torques it at about 1000.(really it's a robot). That may be a little exaggerated but the damn thing is tight and I mean really tight from the factory. I figure let them deal with trying to get it off the first time, then I can do the oil changes myself from then on. Just my experiences--your might be different.
Jay

I took the filter off, nearly broke a knuckle using the vise wrench. Had to turn it half an inch at a time then reset. Want to find the genius who put the filter in that location and have him or her do 500 oil changes on the new Ram:

Don DePontee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a new Ram 1500 Limited with the 5.7 HEMI, my question is at what mileage did you do your first oil change and how many break in miles should one have before changing over to a full synthetic oil as the factory only uses conventional oil to allow the engine to break in?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new Ram 1500 Limited with the 5.7 HEMI, my question is at what mileage did you do your first oil change and how many break in miles should one have before changing over to a full synthetic oil as the factory only uses conventional oil to allow the engine to break in?
I did the first oil change at 3K, 2nd at 6K and third at 10K. For the first two oil changes I used Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional oil which is what the factory uses. Personally I never make the switch to synthetic until 10K miles but that's just my personal preference. I would use 5W30 and forget about 5W20 completely if I were you right from the start. I switched to Redline 5W30 just past 10K miles, approaching 28K now with no issues.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I would use 5W30 and forget about 5W20 completely if I were you right from the start.
Why ditch the factory recommended weight? A quick Goolge of "5W20 or 5W30" makes my head spin.

Not trying to stir the pot as I'm new to the HEMI so don't have the years of operation and research that others have. I've spent the last 11 years in the diesel world with 15W40 and 15 quart oil changes.

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also used a 1 gallon zip lock bag around the filter to catch a lot of the oil during removal and it worked well, my thanks to whoever posted that as a solution to getting oil all over the place.

So silly how those simple solutions to issues I have had forever! Great tip! :cheers:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why ditch the factory recommended weight? A quick Goolge of "5W20 or 5W30" makes my head spin.

Not trying to stir the pot as I'm new to the HEMI so don't have the years of operation and research that others have. I've spent the last 11 years in the diesel world with 15W40 and 15 quart oil changes.
It's pretty much been established on here by a wide range of well respected members(I highly recommend reading the "Synthetic oil" thread)that 5W20 is much too thin for the 5.7 HEMI and is strictly used to squeeze out an extra 1/10th of 1 MPG and switching to a high Molybdenum 5W30(such as Redline 5W30)could have a huge impact on the life of your engine later on esp. at 100K miles and later. I would research HEMI tick while you're at it as they go hand in hand.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's pretty much been established on here by a wide range of well respected members(I highly recommend reading the "Synthetic oil" thread)that 5W20 is much too thin for the 5.7 HEMI and is strictly used to squeeze out an extra 1/10th of 1 MPG and switching to a high Molybdenum 5W30(such as Redline 5W30)could have a huge impact on the life of your engine later on esp. at 100K miles and later. I would research HEMI tick while you're at it as they go hand in hand.

I've been using 5w-30 regular old yellow bottle pennsoil for my last 3 rams (11,13,17 hemi's). Admittedly I do not keep my rams all that long, but I haven't noticed any issue running the 5w-30.

Last edited:

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the first oil change at 3K, 2nd at 6K and third at 10K. For the first two oil changes I used Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional oil which is what the factory uses. Personally I never make the switch to synthetic until 10K miles but that's just my personal preference. I would use 5W30 and forget about 5W20 completely if I were you right from the start. I switched to Redline 5W30 just past 10K miles, approaching 28K now with no issues.
What's the risk of going to Synthetic at 1k miles?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I guess since I'm old school I like to give a motor a little time to wear in before making the switch. There's probably no harm in it, that's just what I've always done.
I hear you. I remember the days of don't wax the vehicle for 6 months while the paint cures, engine break-in procedures, and other idiosyncrasies that gearheads followed for the best possible car/truck if you bought it brand new. Many things have become abbreviated or disappeared as technology advances. Obviously there things you can do above and beyond the owner's manual (even if it is just for peace of mind), but nothing is required.