1st time truck buyer; Eyeing the 2019 Limited. Help me understand the options!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
So I've decided a truck may be the right fit for me once the current lease on my Murano is up (Dec) and I've started my research and I think the 2019 Limited is the one for me. This won't be a lease - looking to buy so I'm trying to be damn certain on my choices and given that it's an order & wait ordeal it seems I'm extra sketchy on final decisions...

So 1st things first... What will I use it for? towing of boat/trailer down the road - gotta have a truck before you can buy the other toys or you look like an idiot sitting in your boat... in your driveway... I don't see myself ever off-roading but I do like the capability to do so without a lot of worry if it were necssary... Otherwise this is a daily driver for someone who doesn't have a horribly long commute to/from work but it's city driving for most part.

So far here's the things I do know I want...

2019 4x4 Crew Cab Limited (Blue - not patriot but the other one not on website)

eTorque --- the extra MPG are of most interest initially but the additional benefits also sound worth it; Also considering how desirable this would be for long-term resale value.

Level 1 Equipment - ummm hell yeah; nuf' said...

Advanced Safety - yup; spoiled by the Murano. And good for resale I'd imagine. Already part of the Level 1 group...

RamBox - so it's a delay it sounds; but I like them (I think) and they'll be good for resale (I think/hope)...

I want the Trailer Brake and controls - but I do not want the tow mirrors (which I found seems to have been a bit of a cluster f' lately on the 360 cameras which I absolutely do want the cameras and the power folding). Now if they've since made it where you can both... moot point. I don't want to order the wrong thing given what I've read on this topic...

Sunroof - splurge a little; Murano has the panorama and I like to keep the features I've been used to.

Air Suspension - not sure if this is part of standard package? Do I need to ensure it's on build/order?

Descending Steps - another not sure if this is part of the Level 1 package or specifically must be ordered.

The things I'm not certain about...

Anti-Slip vs eLocker --- Given that I don't foresee off-roading, not sure I need either; Given the long-term use would likely include towing that'd be the next motivator along with resale value being something I do consider.

Gear Ratio - the eLocker deal will force the the ratio more tailored for trailering use I believe (at least on website). Being a daily drive the MPG do matter a good bit to me - but I do want this to be good for trailering long-term. Just how big of a difference in MPG isn't clear to me and is it somewhat offset perhaps by chosing the eTorque package?

Bigger Gas Tank - not a big deal to me; but an option I'm not sure on - inclined to skip it but wondering about long-term resale value and how it would impact MPG as well hauling more fuel = more weight (of course just run 3/4 tank to compensate perhaps).

The Protection Group - now I can see this; It gives me that little extra assurance if I did need to hit any rough terrain I'd have some extra protection where it's most needed. Question is - how much weight/MPG would this cost me? The cost isn't the concern. Also - is there better after-market options I should consider? Any benefit to manufacturer option?

The things I think I'll skip (unless I learn something new)...

The off-road group; Forces a package of options with some I think I would not want. Given I'm coming from a luxury crossover I don't think the HD shocks/etc would imprve the ride - so I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for something I'd likely never benefit from.

Body Color Bumper Group - not really sure wth this is; Online pics don't make it very clear.

So given that - what does the crowd have to say for a noob? This will literally be my first truck - I've driven other peoples trucks a handful of times (parallel parked a boat trailer cuz' owner was too drunk, etc). I'm coming from a Murano Platinum (3rd one actually) and the RAM had the luxuries that neither the Denali or the Titan could match.

Anything you'd forewarn me before I march into that dealership to plunk down my deposit? Anytihng "you gotta get" that I didn't cover? As well if there's a better place to use for research about what is / is not available (i.e. actual parts sites/configurator tool) than the simple website please do let me know.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, it sounds like you have it all figured out. For the things you're debating, I'd go with the larger gas tank and anti-slip (for resale value).

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lighter blue color, "Blue Streak", is not available as an exterior color on the Limited.

https://www.carsdirect.com/2019/ram/1500/colors

Level 1 Equipment includes the advance safety tech, as far as I can tell.

Looks like you cannot separate tow mirrors from the tow package when you want the trailer braking controls.

Air suspension is included as standard equipment on the Limited.

I would suggest you go to ramtrucks.com and use the Build & Price tool there. That will answer a lot of these questions.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^Do a build at the website to find out what you can specify with the Limited. Honestly, if this is a daily driver and you are concerned about mileage, then the 3.21 gears are a good choice along with with the e-torque setup. That said this thing will never be a Prius, although drivers with the V6 Pentastar are getting pretty decent numbers. Don’t know that the Limited is available with the V6. You probably won’t need a locker, but the anti spin option is something I always get.

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
I've spent plenty of time on the build/configure site before signing up here. So I am familiar with what it allows for the most part. ;-)

I'm assuming the website version is dumbed down for consumers and there may (or may not) be variations that only a dealer can see/select in their tool... i.e. when I spoke to the dealer about a Limited they asked which version of the blue so I assumed the website just wasn't allowing it but they could make it happen... etc. Never hurts to ask/check and not just assume the website is the be all/end all of what's possible.

The dealer/sales agent tried calling me on Monday so I'm going to follow-up and try to get a final game plan together given the long wait times. I think I'll stick with the 5.7 and the real question is the eTorque or not. Not sure I like the notion of having to replace battery down the road and it sounds like the battery pack would eat up space behind rear seats... Will check out the physical footprint when I go to dealer next time.

I think I'll definitely go anti-slip unless they can do the eLocker without having to go to the lower gear ratio; The only reason I could see opting for the lower gear is if this was truly a trailer pulling build and used for that more than daily driving. I also think (?) the gears could be changed down the road without it being a monumental/massively expensive task - right?

The trailer brake controls were a separate option so that looks in the clear - you can get it without the full tow package so I'm definitely going to add that.

Ramvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Confirming for you....my 2019 limited has the tow brake package without the tow mirrors.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'll definitely go anti-slip unless they can do the eLocker without having to go to the lower gear ratio; The only reason I could see opting for the lower gear is if this was truly a trailer pulling build and used for that more than daily driving. I also think (?) the gears could be changed down the road without it being a monumental/massively expensive task - right?

Gears changed down the road, 2wd or 4wd? And whats your definition of expensive? I don't tow anything but my preference would be the 3.92's. Having driven 3.21 and 3.92 I just prefer the acceleration off the line, and of course your driving style plays into this. Not sure what the real world mpg difference is between 3.21 vs 3.92, but I'd suspect if you were driving conservatively it wouldn't be a huge difference.

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
Yeah I think I'm finally deciding on the 3.92 for towing and resale value aspects. I read elsewhere they alluded to $1200 per axle down the road vs $95 now... sort of a no-brainer if you think it's an eventuality. I wish the manuf would put these things into real-world numbers; they know and have the data so it's just a matter of putting it out there.

I think I'm also finalizing on the Anti-Slip instead of eLocker - even though I did decide to go 3.92 which makes the eLocker a choice I can include but it sounds like anti-slip would be better for the type of towing i'd be doing (boat, motorcycle, small/medium camper)...

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea for 4WD you want to make sure you get the gears you want now. 2WD will still sting the wallet, but not as much if you decide you want to change them.

Should be fine with just Anti-slip.

I rarely used the locker even when I did some heavy offroading in my old truck. Tires play a big role in grip(duh).

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
Anyone know of any video or images that show the eTorque battery pack and the space behind the rear seats? Would love to see a visual side-by-side of the truck with and without. Being a former "stereo guy" I hate to see that space consumed.... Never know what upgrade might go back there and relive my youth - this time with a far better budget. <grin>

I wish they could have stowed it somewhere external to the cabin; With batteries blowing up in the past, it does bring the thought to mind if it's not inside some type of 'cage' to ensure safety I see it as a potential safety risk to be honest. And of course the whole battery replacement down the road is really giving me pause about the eTorque or not. I think I'm going to ask to test drive again - one with and one without and maybe see if I can take one with eTorque for a couple day loaner before making a final decision. Assuming they even have one with on the lot...

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
Found a couple videos but none as good as seeing with own eyes; They said the battery doesn't intrude on the actual cabin and it is located in what would have formerly been dead space... Hopefully dealer has one on lot I can at least test drive/see for myself.

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming the website version is dumbed down for consumers and there may (or may not) be variations that only a dealer can see/select in their tool... i.e. when I spoke to the dealer about a Limited they asked which version of the blue so I assumed the website just wasn't allowing it but they could make it happen... etc. Never hurts to ask/check and not just assume the website is the be all/end all of what's possible.

This just means they don't know their A from an H in the ground. :)

Nola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered and did not want the tow mirrors but wanted the control like you. It'd $295 for the controller without the mirrors and $400 with.

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered and did not want the tow mirrors but wanted the control like you. It'd $295 for the controller without the mirrors and $400 with.

Was that factory installed, or dealer installed?

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
So trying to finally decide on my build-out & that a truck is the right next ride for me. I test drove two today - 1 with eTorque & 1 without. I can say I didn't like the 'feel' for the most part of eTorque - normal driving conditions of course you can't tell any difference but coming to a stop and feeling it do a little shimmy/shudder every time from the stop/start just didn't gel with what I wanted in a ride.

Given that I just noticed an unrelated clip on some news-feed site where an electric bus had burst into flames & required evacuation -- an electric one... I just cant' help but think about all the laptops, vape pens, cars, etc where the battery back was the culprit. It has honestly crossed my mind "is this a safety risk?". I tried to see where the battery itself was stashed but wasn't really able to locate it (at least it's not where I thought it may go and consume space). They mention it's climate controlled with the cabin - so if there was a fire/vapors of any sort that sounds like it's channeled right there in the cabin space where we sit... So if the kaboom didn't getcha the hazardous fume may finish the job. ;-p

Given that it's a negligible MPG increase, only adds torque in specific cases (i.e. towing which I would benefit from) and adds cost and potential points of failure/wear (i.e. serpentine belt) - it just doesn't seem like a wise choice for most IMO. I asked the salesperson if I walked in the garage and asked the mechanics for a thumbs up or thumbs down they said down...

I think I've also decided against the RamBoxes - surprisingly. Can't use a camper shell (even if willing to lose functionality - would a camper shell still be okay even?) and they're not water tight. If they had been water tight they would've been a no-brainer. Given they are also a delay (salesperson said they just found out today they can place orders with the boxes aagain) and not water-proof/prevent use of a shell - they're a no-go for me I think.

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
Also extremely dumb/frustrating about eTorque....

The option to disable/turn off the eTorque start/stop isn't something you can leave set once and just turn it back on if/when you want it. No, you have to remember to disable it each & every single time you start the vehicle.

Someone should put a foot in an engineers ass - the ability to leave that perma-disabled isn't requiring any technical feats of engineering prowess. Given it's a "e button" that's just signalling the electonics perhaps they could do a software patch and make that available (I work in IT so I'm a little extra critical about these things since I know it's not that much of a stretch!)

Also on the other area of the forum on the engine itself there's a thread on eTorque with a great video; They go into this loooong ass list of 'conditions to be met/conditions that disable' and hell half the time it wouldn't kick on it sounds. It's tied to the interior climate control/conditions for instance - and won't kick in if "acceptable climate control" has been achieved... So the fellas in Texas/Arizon may never see if cool enough to kick in. ;-p

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Salesman told me the battery went behind the rear seat. So if you're worried about problems with batteries catching fire that would be located right behind the car seat for you parents out there. Hopefully I was misinformed as that seems a terrible idea.

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
So after more poking around on the 'net I did see that for other makes/models (incl Jeeps in particular) there are after-market hacks that make the stop/start enablment restore back to prior state. Maybe not out there for '19 RAMs yet - but at least a promising option. It is just a computer signal being sent after all... Another video a guy just plugged his trailer light 'test plug' in - but that's a hack that would possibly have other unintended side effects (i.e. computer thinks its towing and makes decisions based on that - incorrectly).

Also another video explained exactly why a manufacturer will likely never offer a 'permanent disable' feature - the EPA calculation methods. If it cannot be permanently disabled they calculate with it enabled. If it can be permanently disabled they measure with it enabled *and* disabled then average the two... So the manufacturer is basically given a very strong incentive to never offer that capability.

I'm completely indecisive on eTorque now - with the anticipation of an after-market solution to permanently disable it I am still left with the looking/speculative question of what will it mean as for failure points, longevity of the batter/replacement costs and the safety concerns. On the other hand, the benefit to MPG, towing and that it helps 'smooth' the transitions on shifting as well as lets it stay in eco/4cyl mode longer....

Ugh I hate being indecisive but on a major purchase like this I've got to invest the time/research/thought or be kicking myself in the ass later for an uninformed decision...

OP
OP
B

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
BTW- Anyone seen such a thing as a camper shell compatible with ram boxes? I did see such a thing as 'shell lift kits' exist out there (basically just 4 actuators that raise the shell up a certain # of inches).

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I paid attention to the start/stop initially just because it as a first for me. Now after 3400+ miles, I don't even notice it.

Look at the millions of true hybrids on the roads now and there aren't reports of the batteries blowing up.... My E-Go lawn mower has a bigger battery, 56 volt, than the truck.

It was a no brainer decision for me when I ordered because it was cheap. Now I might have passed.