20-21 Eco Diesel Reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copwad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just seeking some feedback on the Gen 3 Eco reliability so far. Any warranty issues? Problems? Thanks!
I have a 2021 Ecodiesel. Owned it for 5 months with 14,500 miles. Rear axle is leaking at drive shaft. Bring to dealer in the morning. It’s my first issue, but still like it. Luv the 32 mpg

cspencer175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
22k, no issues so far, love it. Only thing I don’t like is the DEF thirst, seems like it goes through that quickly.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
20k miles since February. No engine/drive train issues. Immensely pleased with everything but lack of trailer reverse steering control, but that's not related to the engine.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Overall have heard very few problems with the 3rdGen EcoDiesel motor so far on the forums.

Only thing I don’t like is the DEF thirst, seems like it goes through that quickly.
Are you towing a lot? DEF usage should be on par with fuel economy. Approximate usage rate should be 1 - 2 % of fuel burned.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I wouldn't worry too much about DEF as an expense. I have 20,000 miles on my truck since February. I've added a container of DEF 4 times: at about 5,500 miles, at about 10,000 miles (towing the camper across the country), 5 gallons in September (towing the camper back from Cape Cod), and two days ago. 4 containers in 20,000 miles doesn't seem too much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
4 containers in 20,000 miles doesn't seem too much.
This usage is actually better than the 2ndGen motor. More highway miles seem to help lower DEF usage.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Less than 6 months old.

11K on the clock already and not a mechanical complaint at all!
At 90 to 95 MPH for 3 hours through Nebraska I Average 26 MPG. I couldn't get that in my Ridgeline or Subaru ! !

At 55 MPH with feather-touch foot work I can get 33 to 36 MPG.

I've not driven around town long enough to get a real MPG number, but it's not much better than any gas engine full size pickup I've ever had.

As for DEF fluid; highway driving seems to use significantly less DEF than around town or extended stop-and-go traffic in NYC or Chicagoland.

My only complaint is the Android Auto System ... it's absolutely thee most awful system to link the phone to the truck and vice-versa. I've spent over 28 hours trying to dial it in ... it's pure invasive garbage that no one at the Dealership, Ram Services, Android Auto or Android Websites\Forums can make work correctly and\or merge with consistency.

I keep trying though ... figured out that minimizing the interaction between the two for just two uses works best for me.
(... your phone type and Apps used my bring different results, but I doubt you'll be altogether happy either )

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Less than 6 months old.

At 90 to 95 MPH for 3 hours through Nebraska I Average 26 MPG. I couldn't get that in my Ridgeline or Subaru ! !

I've not driven around town long enough to get a real MPG number, but it's not much better than any gas engine full size pickup I've ever had.

As for DEF fluid; highway driving seems to use significantly less DEF than around town or extended stop-and-go traffic in NYC or Chicagoland.

My only complaint is the Android Auto System ... it's absolutely thee most awful system to link the phone to the truck and vice-versa. I've spent over 28 hours trying to dial it in ... it's pure invasive garbage that no one at the Dealership, Ram Services, Android Auto or Android Websites\Forums can make work correctly and\or merge with consistency.

I keep trying though ... figured out that minimizing the interaction between the two for just two uses works best for me.
(... your phone type and Apps used my bring different results, but I doubt you'll be altogether happy either )
I am getting 25-28 doing errands around town and 33 on the open road and highway. I also have the 3.92 lower ratio gearing for towing.

Yeah, Android Auto sucks. I am not sure its Ram's fault, because everybody I know who uses Android Auto has told me of an WTF moment they've had with it. Its slow to load, awkward to use, and pushy... meaning it forces the radio to load it unless Auto is deactivated on the phone. And even not using Android auto we don't use Google maps for directions in winter since there is no way prevent Google from routing on paved roads not plowed, sanded or salted during the winter. Around here there are plenty of paved steep unplowed roads. Most of them are also used for snowmobiles. I have a Rand McNally RV GPS instead.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I am getting 25-28 doing errands around town and 33 on the open road and highway. I also have the 3.92 lower ratio gearing for towing.

Yeah, Android Auto sucks. I am not sure its Ram's fault, because everybody I know who uses Android Auto has told me of an WTF moment they've had with it. Its slow to load, awkward to use, and pushy... meaning it forces the radio to load it unless Auto is deactivated on the phone. And even not using Android auto we don't use Google maps for directions in winter since there is no way prevent Google from routing on paved roads not plowed, sanded or salted during the winter. Around here there are plenty of paved steep unplowed roads. Most of them are also used for snowmobiles. I have a Rand McNally RV GPS instead.
I agree Doug ... well, for the most part with the only part I'd share is the ability to set specific "unacceptable" road types into Google Maps and/or set "preferred" road types. That said, I'm from the NY/NJ area and know Upstate NY fairly well enough to know there are some "County Roads" that are packed gravel and/or crushed gravel beds that have been packed down enough the road bed is as much dirt as it is gravel stone ... and in that respect, you may have some crossover roads that come up as a route to take.

I prefer WAZE as a route guidance choice as I can set the road types ... all the way from dirt or even toll road preferences. Except in congested cities like NYC, Miami or Chicago as I don't think the algorithms can keep pace with the ever-changing traffic patterns and/or the spontaneous road closings for construction, infrastructure (water or electrical main repairs) or road work - those cities are the only time I go with Google Maps. Your use may yield different results.

But we ALL agree - Android Auto should be renamed Android Awful. :thumbsdown:

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Less than 6 months old.

I think it is the Android system not the truck. I just replaced my 2016 GMC Canyon with a 2021 Ram Warlock. My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Android was/is dodgy at best in all three vehicles. Three brands, same Motorola Android phone, same result - crap. FWIW, the Apple Car Play seems to work a lot better. I'm not giving up my Motorola phone, but I don't expect Android to work in the car. Thinking about it, Android sucked on our previous 2017 Subaru Outback as well. There you go - sign up for Space X for your next trip to space but skip Android.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just seeking some feedback on the Gen 3 Eco reliability so far. Any warranty issues? Problems? Thanks!
I had a 2016 GMC Canyon diesel that was an excellent tow vehicle until 50K miles when the transmission and torque converter went belly up. The GMC Duramax engine was rock solid. The trans, not so much. Does anyone have extensive miles towing with the Gen 3 eco?

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Coincidentally, tonight at dinner there was considerable hate directed at Google maps by my 24 year old computer programmer daughter. I didn't bring this up. She drives a Chevy Cobalt with snow tires. But she is sick of Google and Waze putting her on local roads labeled as "not maintained 12/1 to 4/1". Where we live, "not maintained" and winter dates means snowmobile trail: drifted over, deep and/or hard packed snow, and more likely ice, even in warmer weather. These are "paved" roads (not dirt or gravel). She tells me there is an option for avoiding dirt roads, but not seasonal roads. These are fine roads in the summer and the app puts her on these roads even when she tells it to avoid unpaved roads. ITS STUPID!

About 14,000 of our miles (which now total over 21,000) is towing. It uses more DEF when towing, but since DEF use is proportional to fuel use, that is expected. It doesn't use that much DEF. When we were out west towing our trailer all over the place last spring, we went thru about one tank of DEF for every 5,000 miles. When not towing, DEF consumption is about half that. The only thing we are not happy with is the nonfunctioning optional trailer reverse steering control.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I think it is the Android system not the truck. I just replaced my 2016 GMC Canyon with a 2021 Ram Warlock. My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Android was/is dodgy at best in all three vehicles. Three brands, same Motorola Android phone, same result - crap. FWIW, the Apple Car Play seems to work a lot better. I'm not giving up my Motorola phone, but I don't expect Android to work in the car. Thinking about it, Android sucked on our previous 2017 Subaru Outback as well. There you go - sign up for Space X for your next trip to space but skip Android.
Got a good laugh out of "Sign up for Space X for next trip to space, but skip Android." Sincerely, funny line.

However, my '06 Honda Ridgeline, '19 Merc AMG, Panasonic Car Stereo (era 2015) in my 1975 BMW 2002 tii, 2011 Porsche Turbo S and a 2020 BMW 6 Series all mate with the Android Cell Phones with nary more than an hours work of syncing it with the native systems installed in the car ... although I have to admit, the '20 BMW 6 Series is and I assume always will be a problem no matter Android or Apple ... and is a most complicated system with or without the syncing of any phone unless you're in Europe using a GSM Phone System instead of the Carrier Systems we use in the States.
Android Auto is built by those who don't use Android (see XDA Developers Site for comments from Android Auto employees). Because the programmers primary phone is the Apple system that is (somewhat) dialed in better because they use and discover the problems and faults when driving around and interacting with their vehicles, they've little first hand knowledge of the failures in the Android System side of their product.

All in all ... it's just Android Awful and I don't expect there to be an improvement and the only improvements that will work are the ones "I" incorporate into how I force/reject the way the phone interacts with the native system in the Ram as the native Android Auto system is designed to control Android phones instead of merge/mate with them.

And that's sad to me - as I've an $80K truck designed to transport me in ways equal to or better than all vehicles from the past with the communication systems we use in mass ... and not only doesn't it allow the phone to be the Master of the system, it's invasive and only as good as it's last connection.
I've spent hours on the phone with one of Android Auto's top technicians going through my issues ... after 30 minutes or so, he confessed to now knowing why those (simplistic) problems exist. Sad.

It's not the phones as they sync better to all my Windows based computers and systems than any Apple product.

I don't see it any other way than Android Auto is Awful ... just awful.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Coincidentally, tonight at dinner there was considerable hate directed at Google maps by my 24 year old computer programmer daughter. I didn't bring this up. She drives a Chevy Cobalt with snow tires. But she is sick of Google and Waze putting her on local roads labeled as "not maintained 12/1 to 4/1". Where we live, "not maintained" and winter dates means snowmobile trail: drifted over, deep and/or hard packed snow, and more likely ice, even in warmer weather. These are "paved" roads (not dirt or gravel). She tells me there is an option for avoiding dirt roads, but not seasonal roads. These are fine roads in the summer and the app puts her on these roads even when she tells it to avoid unpaved roads. ITS STUPID!

About 14,000 of our miles (which now total over 21,000) is towing. It uses more DEF when towing, but since DEF use is proportional to fuel use, that is expected. It doesn't use that much DEF. When we were out west towing our trailer all over the place last spring, we went thru about one tank of DEF for every 5,000 miles. When not towing, DEF consumption is about half that. The only thing we are not happy with is the nonfunctioning optional trailer reverse steering control.
As for the first paragraph ... I understand this.
It's design and programming is not done in this country. WAZE is an Israel company, and Google bought WAZE three or four years ago. The people programming these systems only know what/how the roads are marked by previous maps and Gov't based mapping systems ... which use Interstate, State, County, County Road, Rual, Town, Township, and a host of other names ... nothing about Seasonal or Weather changes the label of the road .. hence the problem with how their perceived or presented in Google Maps or WAZE.

Hope that helps.

This will make her stronger and independent of becoming an App Zombie like so many. Good stuff.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
As for the first paragraph ... I understand this.
It's design and programming is not done in this country. WAZE is an Israel company, and Google bought WAZE three or four years ago. The people programming these systems only know what/how the roads are marked by previous maps and Gov't based mapping systems ... which use Interstate, State, County, County Road, Rual, Town, Township, and a host of other names ... nothing about Seasonal or Weather changes the label of the road .. hence the problem with how their perceived or presented in Google Maps or WAZE.

Hope that helps.

This will make her stronger and independent of becoming an App Zombie like so many. Good stuff.
She mentioned that WAZE got bought out by Google, and that Google is trying to incorporate WAZE features into Google.... and failing. We both has a good laugh. Especially after I told her about my fiasco trying to return a rental truck a couple of weeks ago. I was helping a friend who lives in an area I am not familiar with. I drove the rented 30 foot panel truck from Watertown to near Ithaca NY (on mostly bare roads) and had to return it near her home (on snow covered roads). The truck's tires were typical treadwarn rental junk. Google put me on the "fastest" route to the rental return place, 15 miles away. But after about 10 miles down a narrow paved road I found the road blocked by snow. Googlemaps says to keep driving straight, it's just 2 miles to the road the truck rental shop is on, but it's a one way trip into a snow bank in this empty treadwarn truck. I zoomed out on the map and realized I had to backtrack 10 miles around a mountain and drive 30 miles another way. Google keeps telling me to turn around: "Make a U-turn when possible." Grrrrrr.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I never have that problem with the built-in factory nav.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Android Auto System has been problematic for us in two Subarus and one GMC Canyon. IMHO, it's the phone software, not the motor vehicle. I like Google but the Android/car interface is a wicked major loser.

As someone who grew up with simple motor vehicles, I just want the damn thing to start and get me where I am going without drama. The point of trucks is to haul stuff around. If I want entertainment I go outside and watch the weeds in my lawn grow.

There is no way I would spend 28 hours of my precious time on earth f%@#%$ around with a lame interface between phone and truck. But that's me.