2001 Ram 1500 won't park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuthmak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey all,

My 2001 1500 Sport, 5.2L 6-speed auto won't shift into Park. The indicator says it's in park. The key comes out no problem but the truck is essentially in neutral. I have to use the e-brake to keep it from rolling. Mechanic tried to adjust linkage but no joy.

Thoughts anyone?

Charles

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey all,

My 2001 1500 Sport, 5.2L 6-speed auto won't shift into Park. The indicator says it's in park. The key comes out no problem but the truck is essentially in neutral. I have to use the e-brake to keep it from rolling. Mechanic tried to adjust linkage but no joy.

Thoughts anyone?

Charles
Id the trans will not shift in to park here is what I do...

Jack up the rear wheels and sit the axle on jack stands.

Then, disconnect the shift linkage from the shift lever on the side of the trans.

Next, operate the shift lever by hand and see if you can feel each detent on the valve body. There are six detent spots on the rooster comb.

If you rotate the shift lever to the full counterclockwise position that is 1st gear. Then start clicking one detent at a time in clockwise rotation.

Once you get to the full clockwise position you will be in the park position. Attempt to rotate the driveshaft. If you can still turn the driveshaft you know for a fact that the park pawl on the valve body is not engaging.

Next thing would be to remove the trans pan and inspect the park rod on the valve body. My bet is that the e-clip came loose and the park rod is not moving.

Removing the valve body is simple and there are plenty of videos available about removal and installation. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990