"Vehicle Not In Park" message, won't shut off for minutes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnsml66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Hi all, new here but not new to my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.... I get this message in my evic after I have parked (yes vehicle in Park according to the selector and the P R N D indicator on the EVIC), this message pops up on evic and the truck won't shut off for minutes. Eventually it does. Thank goodness for that! But it can take anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes to shut off... the ram dealer had no clue! They told me "we don't know but we think it a replacement of the shift mechanism MIGHT fix it for $1,200". Not wiling to spend that on a guess!! Any help??? Tx!!!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new here but not new to my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.... I get this message in my evic after I have parked (yes vehicle in Park according to the selector and the P R N D indicator on the EVIC), this message pops up on evic and the truck won't shut off for minutes. Eventually it does. Thank goodness for that! But it can take anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes to shut off... the ram dealer had no clue! They told me "we don't know but we think it a replacement of the shift mechanism MIGHT fix it for $1,200". Not wiling to spend that on a guess!! Any help??? Tx!!!

welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

I know there are multiple different types of sensors used on different transmissions & trucks but, if the EVIC indicates the transmission is set to Park yet also displays the 'Not in Park' warning, that's kind of contradictory information.

What is the age and last time you tested the condition of your starting battery?

As a temporary solution, have you tried a shutdown after switching to Neutral when it fails to shut off in Park?

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be a lazy solenoid in the transmission, or a solenoid (or end switch) not getting a good voltage or good "I'm in Park now" signal back to the computer.

A lazy solenoid could be caused by lousy wiring. There should be a large multi-pin connector on the rear of the transmission on the passenger's side. At the very least you might want to remove and inspect the pins (and the tranny side) for corrosion. Esp being in WI. Corrosion could cause a solenoid to receive reduced voltage and not work as well. Or the end-switch that tells the computer it's achieved park might not be getting a good signal. It's an easy thing to inspect and the fact is, a lot of issues are caused by poor wiring and weak grounds. It may not be the problem, but it's a 10 or 12 minute thing to look at to rule out a simple cause. Inspect the wires that go to that trans connector too.

The next thing I would do is make sure the battery is good (have a parts store do a LOAD TEST on it), the +/- connections are good, and all grounds are good. Esp any grounds which go to the transmission. Are they rusted or corroded? There are some hidden major grounds on my truck by the gas tank filler which I have seen become pretty rusty on trucks. Grounds above the driver's front tire (behind plastic door) which become pretty rusty. Body grounds..check them. They should be clean. These trucks are known to get 'funny' when poor electrical signals happen. And wiggle some fuses at the fuse box too.

It might be the actual solenoid or switch inside the transmission. If you were to get AlphaOBD you ought to be able to actuate it or even see the signal that's coming from the transmission. Maybe that's what the dealer did. But again, if the wiring to the transmission or anywhere along the battery->TIPM->Transmission-> & grounds were poor it *could* cause a solenoid to appear weak. Even if it weren't. So try to rule out the simple things first. And it doesn't cost anything to do those items. Never know, might fix it. :waytogo:

Good luck!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also,

This is grabbing for straws, but ..you could try the video below (if yours has the lever), just to make sure the switch connections are good. And wiggle the wiring in the back of that area ...again, it's a 5 min thing ...just to rule out the simple things. Because quite often problems are due to simple things. Be sure to 'block' your wheels so the vehicle doesn't roll on you.

And also, if it were my vehicle, I would wiggle the main connectors under the computer. Just grab those bundle of wires and slightly wiggle them. Not aggressively. It takes some digging to actually remove them. It's worth noting some ram owners have reported significant corrosion on those connectors which connect to the main computer (under the fusebox). That doesn't mean yours are. But it can't be ruled out.

If the dealership was able to verify the voltage to the transmission Park pins, then it probably is inside the transmission. Did they say anything about that? $1,200 seems pretty rich for that job.

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’d bet it is the transmission shift mechanism, which has a sensor that reports the mechanism is in “park” to the computer when the lever shifted to the park position.

If the sensor and/or mechanism is damaged or worn, it will not report the correct transmission gear position to the computer - thus the warning and issues.

This issue is a somewhat common problem on the 2015 - 2017 Ford Expedition models, of which I own a 2015. The solution is to replace the shift mechanism.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
How old is your current battery ?

How many Miles are displayed on the Instrument cluster ?

Do you tow anything that weighs much ?
How often ?

OP
OP
J

johnsml66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Also,

This is grabbing for straws, but ..you could try the video below (if yours has the lever), just to make sure the switch connections are good. And wiggle the wiring in the back of that area ...again, it's a 5 min thing ...just to rule out the simple things. Because quite often problems are due to simple things. Be sure to 'block' your wheels so the vehicle doesn't roll on you.

And also, if it were my vehicle, I would wiggle the main connectors under the computer. Just grab those bundle of wires and slightly wiggle them. Not aggressively. It takes some digging to actually remove them. It's worth noting some ram owners have reported significant corrosion on those connectors which connect to the main computer (under the fusebox). That doesn't mean yours are. But it can't be ruled out.

If the dealership was able to verify the voltage to the transmission Park pins, then it probably is inside the transmission. Did they say anything about that? $1,200 seems pretty rich for that job.

Thanks all you given me some homework! Appreciate the input from all!

OP
OP
J

johnsml66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
View attachment 519761 to Ram Forum. :cool:

I know there are multiple different types of sensors used on different transmissions & trucks but, if the EVIC indicates the transmission is set to Park yet also displays the 'Not in Park' warning, that's kind of contradictory information.

What is the age and last time you tested the condition of your starting battery?

As a temporary solution, have you tried a shutdown after switching to Neutral when it fails to shut off in Park?

Hi J, I have tried to shut off in neutral but get that same message. If there is some other way to shut it off short of disconnecting the battery I'd love to know... :) Battery is recently replaced, but I will check that as well. Gonna try all these suggestions!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi J, I have tried to shut off in neutral but get that same message. If there is some other way to shut it off short of disconnecting the battery I'd love to know... :) Battery is recently replaced, but I will check that as well. Gonna try all these suggestions!

Hi johnsml66,

Have you explored the ideas presented by Jeepwalker in posts #4 & 5?

The transmission mechanical override as presented in the video from post #5 is a slight bit tedious for every shutdown but it's a great idea as an interim measure until you get this fault repaired.

This is my preferred video for the use of the transmission override switch.

Are you experiencing any other electrical anomalies of any sort? If not, your battery is most likely OK.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What did you determine or resolve?

OP
OP
J

johnsml66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Hello all! I am back to report I have fixed the problem! After trying many of the suggestions you all offered, I resorted to buying a new shifter mechanism from a scrap yard to replace it for a fraction of what the dealer quoted! There must have been a bad sensor in this unit! If this happens to anyone else, I suggest this repair! A few screws, 3 bolts, a quick cable disconnect and reconnect (to the transmission cable), it was done. It was easy enough!

Thanks again everyone!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230524_185726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230524_185726_Chrome.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2