2001 V8 360ci Spitting and Sputtering under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiLLz420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 360ci
Ive been reading several different forums for the last couple days trying to figure this out and although a lot of people have similar issues, my problem is the weirdest thing.

Let me just start from the beginning..

Truck is a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 V8 5.9L 360ci 188K miles

Until recently my truck wasn't my daily driver and it would sit for weeks at a time. Never had a problem starting or running ever except once or twice when it had sat in the rain for maybe 4-5 days or longer and it would start fine but while driving it would spit and sputter for a few minutes until it warmed up and it was fine. Just assumed moisture had built up on something.

For the last few months ive been driving it almost every day. For the last week it has been raining non stop and it sat for MAYBE 3 days and on Monday I got in it to drive to work and it did the same thing as before, started up fine but was spitting and sputtering for maybe the first 10min of my 20min drive to work. So I thought hey.. maybe its time for a tune up. I put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv. Everything was filthy, rusty & corroded. That night on the way home from work the truck ran better than it has ever ran since I bought the truck used @ 130k miles. So the next day it is still raining & as soon as I pull out of the driveway its back spitting and sputtering and it does it the whole way to work. To me it was almost like it was misfiring. The one thing I didn't replace was the ignition coil so I got a new one of those and put it on. Same thing.

Now the truck has set inside our shop for the last 4 days and is completely dry and its still doing the same thing. Starts fine. Idles fine in Park or Neutral but when you put it in drive or reverse it starts to idle funny. the rpms are normal but you can just feel a difference. If you get on the gas peddle it will go but it wants to spit and sputter almost like its going to backfire and has NO power. I read a lot of people say it may be a clogged cat. The truck has had a cat with strait pipes since I bought it. the exhaust was all rusty and busted and needed replace anyway so I cut all the exhaust off and no change. so I busted through the cat with a half inch piece of stainless steel. no change. Except its louder than ever LOL

Im not getting any check engine light or any codes from the autozone computer.

The only time ive ever had a check engine light the whole time ive had the truck was for a medium leak in the evap system. I don't remember the code. I researched that and the top choice was gas cap. I replaced the gas cap and everything has been fine except a few times when I got gas and messed with the gas cap the check engine light would come back on with the same code & id fiddle with the cap and over time the light would go off.

From what ive read on other forums from people with similar issues people have said MAP sensor O2 sensor and a few other sensors but I feel like if im not getting any check engine lights then I doubt its a sensor.

I talked to a few buddys that know a little bit about cars and they have all told me fuel pump/ fuel filter. but of course on this truck the filter and pump is one assembly inside the tank..

my next move is going to be to get a fuel pressure sensor and test and see if im getting good fuel pressure at the motor.

the thing that has me lost is the whole moisture thing from sitting out in the rain that was originally causing the issue and now its been inside for days and my problem is still the same.

I don't have the money to take this thing to a real mechanic but im pretty good at fixing things myself. A little research and some hands on can make a big difference.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind swapping out parts its just a pain in the butt on this thing because every bolt/screw is rusted and everything I touch breaks so I didn't want to be needlessly tearing things apart.

OP
OP
K

KiLLz420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 360ci
update.

fuel pressure 47lbs @ key on, started & under load - no change

upstream o2 & punch out cat - no change

map sensor - no change

crank sensor - no change

took off throttle body & cleaned everything - no change

kenr88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9l V8
I guess an O2 sensor is possible but I haven't seen one cause this sort of trouble without a CEL. Because it runs ok when warm, this sounds more like a vacuum issue than anything else. As the engine warms and metals and rubber-like materials expand, small vacuum leaks seal themselves and the symptoms may go away. That is where I would start. Any seals that have to do with the intake is first. Also cheaper.