2002 Slt 1500 4x4 4.7l rebuilt engine - Check Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have a 2002 ram 1500 Slt 4x4 with a rebuilt 4.7l engine in it. Engine was rebuilt at 77k after a coolant hose blown and previous owner drove continued to drive it until internal damaged caused a stop, no block damage but inside components were ruined. I haven't had any problems except 3 odd occurrences when I would be coming off the highway and come to a stop at a light and my check gauge will ping and my oil pressure gauge drops down all the way. The RPMS stay perfect at 600 and the truck makes no odd sounds or shakes etc. When I then accelerate the gauge goes right back to normal level and everything is fine.
I haven't had a problem besides this.
The oil was changed at 78k and I'm now at 81k but the entire engine was machined and serviced by professional.
My questions is, should I be concerned this is an early warning sign for a failing fuel pump.
What should be a check list of things to do before purchasing and installing a new oil pump (The oil pump was replaced with the rebuild)
Thanks for any tips and much appreciated.

Mods - Superchip F5, Airram intake scoop, airram power wire, GC TCM '02

This occurred before any mods and also after the mods.

Last edited:

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The cheapest place to start I think would be the oil pressure sensors they are less than $20.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Amen I would too.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I usually am pretty busy and my truck sits in a parking lot at an apartment so I didn't get out to it yet was planning to if weather cooperates.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
nextIMGbig.png
RA-OPS1050__ra_p.jpg

Ramco Automotive Oil pressure Sensors are engineered for precision under peak performance, durability and a long service life. Manufactured using a high temperature polymide diaphragms guaranteeing extended resistance to oil leakages and unrivalled cycle durability. 100% tested to meet or exceed OE specifications.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 5003675AA, 56031005, 56031005AB, 88924467, PS358

RAMCO Warranty Information:
12 month/12,000 mile

Is this the piece I need to have it replaced. I saw somewhere about a oil pressure switch. I wasn't sure wanted to be sure before ordering it
Thanks

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
just look up the sensor for your exact truck at the local auto parts, then check and compare it to the old one and stick the sucker in, the sensor is a common problem on these trucks for some reason

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
My 99 did it every 3k miles after an oil change, like it knew when it was time for an oil change. And checking the stick, sure enough 1qt. low. If I couldn't do it that month, I would add a quart, and no more check gauges. I never did find oil on spark plugs, no burning black smoke from exhaust. But I knew it did have a leak, could never pinpoint where it was leaking. And this is not an uncommon problem for any Chrysler V8 product.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
My 99 did it every 3k miles after an oil change, like it knew when it was time for an oil change. And checking the stick, sure enough 1qt. low. If I couldn't do it that month, I would add a quart, and no more check gauges. I never did find oil on spark plugs, no burning black smoke from exhaust. But I knew it did have a leak, could never pinpoint where it was leaking. And this is not an uncommon problem for any Chrysler V8 product.

Checked oil and the levels were okay.
Performed oil change at 4k miles and since then has only come on once in past 2k miles driven. most of the similar to what caused it before (driving highway then red light on hill)
Thinking maybe since it was first oil change from the original break in 500miles that maybe it just needed another change. Use Royal Purple oil and Oil Filter Synthetic. So see how it acts towards 4k miles again and may change once occurs. Will check oil levels periodically as well

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Checked oil and the levels were okay.
Performed oil change at 4k miles and since then has only come on once in past 2k miles driven. most of the similar to what caused it before (driving highway then red light on hill)
Thinking maybe since it was first oil change from the original break in 500miles that maybe it just needed another change. Use Royal Purple oil and Oil Filter Synthetic. So see how it acts towards 4k miles again and may change once occurs. Will check oil levels periodically as well

Coming close to 4k miles again on oil and have had more occurrences of oil pressure gauge dropping.
Could this be from oil somehow? It stopped happening completely after oil change and just after 3k miles it started acting up.
Could oil quality be causing it to read incorrectly. Still no engine changes (Rpms sit perfectly at 600 even after about 30 seconds of it showing no oil pressure.

soonerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Are you putting 6 quarts of oil back in when you change it?