2003 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigh3rn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I'm getting an odd problem that I have researched and cannot find anything on it. My 2003 4.7 runs fine at standard operating temperature when I'm on the road. I'll drive 30 minutes out and still good temperature according the gauge, but once I park and turn off the truck for a few minutes, 5 minutes for example, I turn the truck back on and the temperature gauge is 3/4 between half and max temperature. Once I run the truck again the temperature gauge falls back down normal operating temperature. Sometimes it even has a slow start to the engine when the temperature gauge is high. Have any of you had this issue?

My only idea would be to change the temperature sensor.

I took it to the dealership today and unfortunately they couldn't service my truck because it is old.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Think about it....the engine at normal operating temp is being cooled by the movement of coolant through the system with heat transfer in the radiator. Once that heat transfer stops, it has nowhere to go. Once you shut a running engine off it will always get a bit hotter before it cools back down.

OP
OP
B

bigh3rn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
It’s called heat soak and is a normal thing . All engines share this characteristic.
Thank you for your reply. I will keep that in mind. It is just a little odd that when I turn back on again the temperature needle is way over half and at times the truck has like a slow start to it. I have no check engine lights and all components are working properly to my knowledge.

OP
OP
B

bigh3rn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Think about it....the engine at normal operating temp is being cooled by the movement of coolant through the system with heat transfer in the radiator. Once that heat transfer stops, it has nowhere to go. Once you shut a running engine off it will always get a bit hotter before it cools back down.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your reply. Nice truck btw, I love the color.