2004.5 H.O. slow to start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melododge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Ever since we got this truck it has been slow to start most times.
It turns over and over till it finally catches and smoke comes out the exhaust.
Then sometimes it fires up right away.
Anyone else come across this ?

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Does temperature matter? Hard to start when really cold, below freezing, and easy to start in warm weather or a warm engine in cold weather? I was told that with the previously mentioned symptoms that the problem is probably do to needing the fuel injection system changed. This diagnosis has not been confirmed by actually having the fuel injection system replaced. This was a diagnosis done without the vehicle being looked at by the mechanic.

Mike

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like ya need to have the batteries tested.

OP
OP
M

melododge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Does temperature matter? Hard to start when really cold, below freezing, and easy to start in warm weather or a warm engine in cold weather? I was told that with the previously mentioned symptoms that the problem is probably do to needing the fuel injection system changed. This diagnosis has not been confirmed by actually having the fuel injection system replaced. This was a diagnosis done without the vehicle being looked at by the mechanic.

Mike
Temperature does not make any difference.
Almost like something doesn't detect that it's trying to start then suddenly does.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was doing similar things as yours, had dying batteries. Got some Duracell AGM at Sams club wow what a difference.