2004 Cummins Ram Noise - Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've heard this noise a few times before (video linked at the end), the truck made it for a few seconds and it went away. Last night it started, got worse, louder, and did not go away. It seems to be coming from the middle of the dash/floor/firewall and is speed dependent (not rpm). When starting from a stop it doesn't become really noticeable until about 15mph, but then it keeps making it until you come to a stop.

Any thoughts on what it is? How to figure it out? If it's the transfer case like I suspect is it something I can split the case and fix/replace or am I looking for a replacement?

https://youtube.com/shorts/wd5KRfEUV1Q

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The first thing I would advise you check would be the front drive shaft u-joints and the CV joint. If it is something loose in the front shaft you will want to get it fixed because it can take out a lot of stuff, some of it expensive, if it comes apart. BTW, the front drive shaft turns even when in 2wd.

usmilret

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your transfer "chain" inside the transfer is loose. I wouldn't be driving that truck any longer until you drop the transfer and split the case open to inspect it.