2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Driver Tail Light not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bandsr4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7 Hemi.

So, I began having my driver rear Brake light going out. While checking the bulb, it felt loose in the grey three bulb socket, and wiggling it made it work. So, I changed out the grey three bulb socket with a new one from O'Reillys. The three bulbs all fit tight and the brake light now works. However, now the rear driver parking lights do not work. The passenger parking lights do work.

I checked the driver rear five pin socket that plugs into the 3 bulb socket. The pin that supplies the parking light does not have power. I checked the passenger rear five pin socket and the pin on that side has power - obviously which is why the passenger parking lights work.

I checked the fuses, relay 73 (parking lights relay), and examined the wiring going back from the driver socket under the back to the main wiring harness that goes back to the front of the truck. I did not see any wires that were worn or exposed. I did check relay 73 with the lights on and only two of the contacts had power to them. I read somewhere on another post that relay 73 should have power to three of the four contacts for it to work properly and if it did not it was likely a bad fuse box circuit board.

Obviously, the older Dodge Rams have issues with the main power module (fuse box) and the front control module (FCM). I know this is a possibility. But I thought those issues were more likely when the front driver lights were also out along with several other issues. I also thought this would be more likely if both rear parking lights were out. In my case, only the driver rear parking light is out.

I have a four prong trailer plug at the rear and it has power to the parking lights. I am wondering if an easy fix would be to run a jumber wire from the trailer plug wire to the driver rear pin at the socket that powers the parking lights? At this point, the only problem appears to be the rear driver tail lights not working.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've experienced that issue in other older trucks where a floating ground was used......" one ground for everything up front ".
Clean the ground and use dielectric grease in connections.

Problem never resurfaced.

OP
OP
B

bandsr4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for a reply. So, where exactly do I clean the ground? Do you mean clean the ground wire pin inside the wire connector that pushes onto the circuit board inside the taillight? Thanks for a reply.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Your driver's running light was working before the new socket install-did you take an ohm meter and double check the new socket to be sure they're wired the same as the old socket? I've run into that before. I had a headlight housing where the ground and high beam were reversed. You're not expecting a new part to be different and it can really get frustrating. :crazy: