2004 ram 1500 overheating issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgeman90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 that I’ve been having some problems out of since I inherited it at first it ran ok then it started overheating so I replaced the water pump and thermostat thinking that was it but nothing so I went ahead and replaced my radiator but still overheating my fan clutch is still good and it is smoking from the exhaust and it smells like burnt coolant I was thinking maybe cracked head or head gasket but I did a block test on it and there are no gases in the coolant I’m just kind of lost also it has an engine light on for misfires can someone please help me figure this out

Last edited:

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 that I’ve been having some problems out of since I inherited it at first it ran ok then it started overheating so I replaced the water pump and thermostat thinking that was it but nothing so I went ahead and replaced my radiator but still overheating my fan clutch is still good and it is smoking from the exhaust and it smells like burnt coolant I was thinking maybe cracked head or head gasket but I did a block test on it and there are no gases in the coolant I’m just kind of lost also it has an engine light on for misfires can someone please help me figure this out

I think you need to replace the head gasket. Probably the gasket is gone and is burning antifreeze instead of gas that’s why it overheating, smelling coolant and misfiring. Common problem at 4.7

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you need to replace the head gasket. Probably the gasket is gone and is burning antifreeze instead of gas that’s why it overheating, smelling coolant and misfiring. Common problem at 4.7 and if you decide to pull the heads out send them at the machine shop and let them do the pressure these just for be sure that don’t have a crack inside

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Bad head gasket for sure that is the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
If you gonna replace the head gasket have heads looked at also.