2005 rumble bee 6.1 hemi swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J310JR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am new to this forum & have been looking around for some answers, I have raced 426 Hemi for 30 years, all of this electronic stuff is new to me
I have a 2005 dodge ram rumble Reg cab 2WD SB with the 5.7 hemi & the killer tick, eating the cam
will a 6.1 hemi go in with out a whole lot of trouble, ??

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ah, internet reading.......the cam lobe wiping you've read about is not for your year or even generation. You're more likely to drop a valve seat and even that isn't likely to happen unless you really overheat it lol.
Will a 6.1 hemi go in, yes. How deep your pockets are and how far you're willing to change things will directly impact how much of the engine you can use.

OP
OP
J310JR

J310JR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's funny you say that, others had said that too, but this trouble has popped up in a few engines I know of that go all the way back to 2004. that engine had l2 lifter roller pins break at about 95000 miles. when we pulled it apart what we found was crazy.
As far as the deep pockets, I have been a drag racer for over 45 years, you speed money of you want to play
THANKS FOR THE INPUT

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, as I said it will bolt in. You'll need to use your oil pan (or a new one, same style). Then you need to decide how willing you are to rearrange your accessory drive pursuant to choice of intake manifold. The intake ports are very different; your stock intake would become the choke point. Exhaust ports are also very different and the stock 6.1 manifolds won't fit a Ram chassis. Luckily with a 2005 you have a well tunable PCM, which you'll need for the extra displacement, cam timing and deleting EGR. Honestly the biggest issue you will have long term is your transmission holding up. RFE's are not happy with serious power increases.

JL3100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hell bent on a 426 as well, but am figuring out I’d rather use that extra money for boost and be fine with a 392 and no headaches