2008 Ram heater fan issues, even more confused after reading on the subject.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Rusty Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, new guy with an old problem. The heater fan was working intermittently on my 2008 Ram. I was letting it go until the sub zero temps moved out. I would have to hit the heater box to get the fan moving again. Today (50 degrees temp fortunately) the fan finally stopped so I removed it and the resistor. I tested the fan and it ran on another 12 volt source. The resistor was corroded, burnt and missing chunks of the ceramic so I replaced it with a new part. I tested the fan and it worked on all speeds so I reinstalled it. I took the truck on a half hour drive to give it a workout. The fan worked fine, I even turned the speed up and down just to test it. But, I turned the fan off and it wouldn't come back on. I read the threads on the ignition switches and pulled my steering column apart. My ignition switch doesn't look like the ones in the YouTube videos and pictures in the repair threads. Its smaller with less wires. When I took it off and unplugged it, the blades aren't burnt and the plug end wasn't melted. I checked the fuses and they are good. I even gave the heater box a slap to see if it would work but still no fan.

Is there a relay or something else I'm missing?

Thanks

OP
OP
T

The Rusty Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I posted this the fan has been working fine on all speeds. I don't know what to say, I keep my electrical test kit in the truck with me just in case.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If it acts up, again, try checking for voltage at that new resistor you installed. Insure it has power.
ALways strt with making sure what you just idd, does not have issues. Loose connection, whatever.

Luck to you.
If you find the problem and teh solution, post it ion this thread, may help another, down the line.

OP
OP
T

The Rusty Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks gofishn, I will post if there's any issues or if it continues to operate just fine. I get frustrated when people post things asking for help and don't post the resolution.