2009 to 2004 Hemi Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
SO I recently came into a 2004 1500 4x2 with a blown hemi. The guy i bought it from had purchased a 2009 hemi from a 300 with mds and vvt. anyone attempted this? what do i need to make this truck run again? would i be better off selling the engine and getting one for the right model? id like to get the extra hp from the new engine but dont wanna spend a bunch doing it. the previous owner butchered the truck original harness. i have the engine harness, pcm and pretty much everything from the 300. keep in mind i paid $750 for the truck and engine.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you’re doing it to save money then you’ll want to sell the engine. The 2009 cars use a different reluctor wheel tooth count iirc. For the VVT you can just put a comp cams phase locker and it’ll be fine. There may be other complications depending on which PCM you have, early ‘04s have the same pcm architecture as the ‘03 and make it almost impossible to tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well my issue is finding an engine in my area for 03-08 hemi. Cheapest I’ve found so far is $2200 and it’s got 171k on it. Where would I get said cam phaser?

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The VVT is simple to get around if you lock it, the MDS is just a simple swap of NON MDS lifters .... the tone wheel is not, you have to change it to a 32 tooth wheel, to do that you have to pull the crank out. soooooooooo that brings up an interesting dilemma, while the crank is out you might as well freshen up the short block.

Your best bet if you want that 09 and up power, is pull the heads and intake of the 09 motor, sell the short block and find an 03-08 5.7 to put the heads and intake on, get a 6.1 cam and put that in the 04 ram,
down the road change the PCM over to the 05 and you'll open up a new world of tuning options.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
When you say a blown Hemi, what’s wrong? Something simple like needing a cylinder sleeve? Or a hole in the block? Depending on the damage just refreshen the old block and put some quality parts in

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
The VVT is simple to get around if you lock it, the MDS is just a simple swap of NON MDS lifters .... the tone wheel is not, you have to change it to a 32 tooth wheel, to do that you have to pull the crank out. soooooooooo that brings up an interesting dilemma, while the crank is out you might as well freshen up the short block.

Your best bet if you want that 09 and up power, is pull the heads and intake of the 09 motor, sell the short block and find an 03-08 5.7 to put the heads and intake on, get a 6.1 cam and put that in the 04 ram,
down the road change the PCM over to the 05 and you'll open up a new world of tuning options.

that toner wheel was my nightmare on my 03, put in a motor from an 04 and i had one pissed off computer, sucks they changed that crap between 03 and 04, I wound up just getting another motor...

OP look online and see if you can find a long block somewhere, or maybe see if one of these places that have a motor will trade you a hemi for your year for the one out of the 300, they would get more money for the 300 hemi instead of an 04

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The original truck engine dropped the end of the plug, beat the head, piston and block on one of the cylinders.

So I actually have access to a block, from an 06 out of a truck. It needs rebuilt. You’re saying the heads off of my 09+ engine will bolt right up to that block? No mods required? But would it not be easier and cheaper if I were to just swap cranks? And maybe throw new bearings in it while I’m there. The tone wheel is integrated into the shaft isn’t it?

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The original truck engine dropped the end of the plug, beat the head, piston and block on one of the cylinders.

So I actually have access to a block, from an 06 out of a truck. It needs rebuilt. You’re saying the heads off of my 09+ engine will bolt right up to that block? No mods required? But would it not be easier and cheaper if I were to just swap cranks? And maybe throw new bearings in it while I’m there. The tone wheel is integrated into the shaft isn’t it?

They will bolt on, however you will need to either select pistons to match, get the chambers opened up or stack head gaskets. The closed chambers in the eagle heads will drive your CR up to 11:1 on stock gaskets. You will also need pushrods to match and exhaust manifolds as the port shape is different (stock 09+ ones should work fine). Considering all the block and component differences, it will make your life easier (and cheaper) to go with an 03-08 style block and then you can either go with stock heads or do what's necessary to run the eagles. Eagle heads are like 6.1 heads but with taller valves.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You can order custom thickness head gaskets from Cometic to get a lower CR

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay but....the thing is, I’ve already got my 09 block on a stand. And my old crank wouldn’t be much to pull. So would I be safe, without spending Tons. Buy the vvt lock kit, swap tone wheels, stab engine. Find me an original 04 hemi harness and air intake and install and be good?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
SO I recently came into a 2004 1500 4x2 with a blown hemi. The guy i bought it from had purchased a 2009 hemi from a 300 with mds and vvt. anyone attempted this? what do i need to make this truck run again? would i be better off selling the engine and getting one for the right model? id like to get the extra hp from the new engine but dont wanna spend a bunch doing it. the previous owner butchered the truck original harness. i have the engine harness, pcm and pretty much everything from the 300. keep in mind i paid $750 for the truck and engine.

Yes, if it were me I'd sell the '09 engine and stick with 3rd Gen parts for the rebuild.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay but....the thing is, I’ve already got my 09 block on a stand. And my old crank wouldn’t be much to pull. So would I be safe, without spending Tons. Buy the vvt lock kit, swap tone wheels, stab engine. Find me an original 04 hemi harness and air intake and install and be good?

Simple answer is, yes, just swap the tone wheel from the 06 engine on to the 09 crank, new bearings to be safe and what ever gaskets you need to replace and you'll be fine(with the locked VVT)

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Does he need to worry about the window switch on the eagle manifold? Or is he reusing the older heads and intake?

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think 09 has it on the car/jeep intake manifold, you are talking about the short runner switch ?
I'd have to look it up again but I think the truck gets it in 2012 but the 6.4 always had it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok I thought they all had that runner switch, but I’m not familiar with them.

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think 09 has it on the car/jeep intake manifold, you are talking about the short runner switch ?
I'd have to look it up again but I think the truck gets it in 2012 but the 6.4 always had it.
So you think I could also use the newer intake? Would all my wiring hook up? Or would I need to swap the old throttle body and injectors(if possible)

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m definitely going to try. Lol been searching all day for exactly what I need. If any of you guys know of a thread where this has been done, or even just the head swap part has been done plz link. I am in search of part numbers! I think all I’m really missing to get going is the wiring for the coils, I read somewhere there were adaptors. I noticed the newer coils are 3 pin while old style are 2 pin. Help me out guys!!

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check on the LX/scatpak forum most of the 09 intake swap talk is about putting the intake on the pre eagle heads, obviously that part won't concern you. but the wiring issues will, I'll get back to this tomorrow , I have to check on a few things things but I think the MAP wiring will have to be extended
the throttle body is the same from 05 to 12( I believe) I do know the connector is different between the 03 and 05s
as for coils your better off using the 2 pin on this swap, and then after everything is worked out, swap over to the 3 pin(06 and later.

OP
OP
jamestaylor47

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay so say I get a wiring harness for a 06-08 truck. Would everything work out?