2010 ram 5.7 30,000 mile spark plug change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer1Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$400 bucks at the dealership! Is this BS or do they need changed? TIA for replies.

Oh and my driver side mirror is blacking out like the fading feature is failing anyone else experienced this? Dealership wants $100 deductible to replace. Truck is still under warranty.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah $400 sounds about right, perhaps a little on the high side. Just change them yourself, it's not very difficult.

Your still under warranty? Then there is no deductible.

If that's the whole story, sounds like the dealership is feeding you a load of BS.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no deductable on the factory warranty. However, the Bumper to Bumper (which'd cover the mirror) runs out at 20k I believe.

$400 for plugs is redic! It's $85 in parts from Moe's for the factory NGKs (16 of em) and an afternoon to do it. Make sure to have a tube of DiElectric for the boots. You'll want a 1", 3" and 6" 3/8" drive extensions for the job, once you have done one or two, you'll get the hang of it and the other 14 will go quickly.

OP
OP
H

Hammer1Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I do the plugs myself will the dealership hassle me if I happen to have a later issue with the engine?

I'll find out about the deductible tomorrow morning on the mirror.

Thank's for the reply's.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer cannot force you to have the truck services by them, especially not to keep the warranty valid. The finance guy at the dealer tried desperately to talk me into their service package, I told him to get bent, I do it m'self. He then tried to tell me that the warranty wouldn't be valid, I told him he clearly had no idea what he was talking about and to move on to the next pitch for crap for me to reject.

You need only keep documentation that you services the plugs (log book, receipt etc). This was an act passed by congress to protect people from bullsh!t at dealerships like this.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
The dealer cannot force you to have the truck services by them, especially not to keep the warranty valid. The finance guy at the dealer tried desperately to talk me into their service package, I told him to get bent, I do it m'self. He then tried to tell me that the warranty wouldn't be valid, I told him he clearly had no idea what he was talking about and to move on to the next pitch for crap for me to reject.

You need only keep documentation that you services the plugs (log book, receipt etc). This was an act passed by congress to protect people from bullsh!t at dealerships like this.

Good stuff right here. Deffinetily keep all your receipts from maintenance items you've performed. Just helps things go more smoothly down the road if a problem were to arrise. I keep a nice little log book on all my vehicles.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good stuff right here. Deffinetily keep all your receipts from maintenance items you've performed. Just helps things go more smoothly down the road if a problem were to arrise. I keep a nice little log book on all my vehicles.

My log book includes every fill up, oil change and modification.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
on my last truck, I picked up my plugs @ the local parts shop for under $40.00 (copper champions), brought them over to my local tires plus and had them install em for 150.

I sure didn't like the looks of the back cylinders and dealing with the coil packs and it being real tight back there.

Last edited:

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Canadian prices are ridiculous for parts and labour
my stealer wanted almost $10 per plug :shakehead:

Got mine on ebay with free shipping to Canada for half of that
Did my own install 3 weeks ago on my 2010 Hemi

it's really easy, just time consuming
...dealer probably books the job for 3 hours, (at over $100 an hour here)
But you could DIY in about 2 without rushing it and a few beer breaks.

Some say to remove the drivers side tire and wheel well liner to access the one below the brake booster.

I found it easier to just lay big thick moving blanket draped over the rad/engine and lay on my belly to reach the tough ones

You dont have to remove grill, I just had it off the do my supercharger/intercooler install and changed plugs at the same time,
along with the larger fuel injectors and a few other goodies

plugswap2_zpse6784b7d.jpg

Here's a few You-Tube vid's that show the same method I used...

HEMI spark plug change 2010 Ram 1500 - YouTube

Dodge Ram Hemi Spark Plug Change Video #1 - YouTube

Dodge Ram Hemi Spark Plug Change Video #2 - YouTube

Make sure you have an actual spark plug specific socket ,
that's either magnetic or has a rubber fitting to pull the old plugs out.

You'll also need several extensions from 1.5" to 2.5"
because you'll have to add/remove them one section at a time under the brake booster where space is limited