2012 - 2021 Dually Lug nut torque recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 2500/2001 2500/2018 3500
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
Has anyone else heard of this and if so where can I find the correct torque #.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2021/ram-trucks-recalled-lugnuts.shtml

I had my rims changed over a year ago and ever since the brakes have developed a squeal that is getting worse. Only 13000 miles on my 2018 3500 DRW so wear may or may not be an issue but this "Recall" makes me nervous. I have asked the local dealerships (3) to check the noise but no one wants to touch a dually here. The source of the problem is incorrect information in the owner/service manuals so I don't know where to look and trust.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Voided warranty buy using aftermarket wheels, did you find out the wrong and correct torque values if so please share with the rest of us.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If your truck is affected you need to take it for the dealer to inspect for lug nut or stud issues and replacement of needed. I doubt that has contributed to the brake squealing as the problems would most likely be limited to above components. You don't say if noise is coming from front or rear of truck but think it could just be coincidental. However if it is a bad stud causing incorrect seating, even more reason to get it to a dealer.

Did you get a notice? If so and no dealer is willing to inspect maybe reach out to ramcares.

Good luck

OP
OP
thestuntboy

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
The first useless dealership mounted the wheels/tires so are liable if done incorrectly. The only saving note is this recall is for flanged nuts which I had but purchased conical nuts for the new wheels that are not supposed to be affected. There is a different torque value for the two different types but the competence level is bad there. I took it two 2 RAM dealers and both did not want to touch the rear because " Duallies are a pain" A Chevy garage verified the squealing but told me they weren't equipped nor had the experience with RAM heavy dual rear ends. The noise is definitely brake related on the right side but I can not totally tell if front or rear ( I am leaning rear though). I am just going to back off the lug nuts and re torque to conical spec. I was just curious how different the flanged nuts actually were.

As for the brakes I am going to try a third RAM dealership and pay to have the brakes changed regardless of how they look and hopefully they will do them.

The news came via press releases yesterday, official word could take 8 weeks.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
From what I read about the recall, notices will be going out in about 8 weeks. Must not be too serious in their minds. I'm waiting for mine, because I think I have an affected vehicle. More as it happens.....

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The first useless dealership mounted the wheels/tires so are liable if done incorrectly. The only saving note is this recall is for flanged nuts which I had but purchased conical nuts for the new wheels that are not supposed to be affected. There is a different torque value for the two different types but the competence level is bad there. I took it two 2 RAM dealers and both did not want to touch the rear because " Duallies are a pain" A Chevy garage verified the squealing but told me they weren't equipped nor had the experience with RAM heavy dual rear ends. The noise is definitely brake related on the right side but I can not totally tell if front or rear ( I am leaning rear though). I am just going to back off the lug nuts and re torque to conical spec. I was just curious how different the flanged nuts actually were.

As for the brakes I am going to try a third RAM dealership and pay to have the brakes changed regardless of how they look and hopefully they will do them.

The news came via press releases yesterday, official word could take 8 weeks.

"Dualies are a pain"

Dang. Business must be terrific at those dealerships....

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Got my official notice a few days ago saying my truck is affected but there is no resolution at this time and they'll get back to me when a remedy is available. They still have not provided the corrected torque amount. That's all I want, the new torque number!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was just into the dealer with my 3500 dually for some other reason. At his time the recall is isnt being fielded because the parts arent yet available, at least thats what I was told. It is out there, but the dealer I was at said they cant act on it yet.

My user manual with the truck states 140ft lbs is the recommended torque value for my wheels.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I was just into the dealer with my 3500 dually for some other reason. At his time the recall is isnt being fielded because the parts arent yet available, at least thats what I was told. It is out there, but the dealer I was at said they cant act on it yet.

My user manual with the truck states 140ft lbs is the recommended torque value for my wheels.

I read the whole recall elsewhere, RAM website IIRC, and the impression I got was the 140 is too much and may have over torqued the studs. They're suppose to have a new torque value and a sticker to overlay the old value in the owner's manual. But no one seems to know the new value.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Its funny my wifes chevy impala, and my camaro are listed as 140 foot pounds as well. Seems odd they would back this torque value on the beefy studs on these HD's.

Jetboater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Never saw anyone reply with the new torque number for the wheel studs.....

Attachments

• RCRIT-21V398-3463.pdf
    507.2 KB · Views: 4

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Thanks for sharing that. I've been waiting to hear the new value. I cut this out of the file for download Leary folks.
Screenshot_20220321-192208_OfficeSuite.jpg

OP
OP
thestuntboy

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
Just did the recall today ( a year later) and the dealership said 10 of 16 front wheel studs were bad. Rears supposedly fine. He admitted the stretch gauge is tight tolerance but better safe than sorry. 2 hours work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007