2012 clutch fan delete, v6 fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi all. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to a 2012 to put the v6 efan in....the writeups I found all are for 2013 and up, but I am not sure how it works with a 2012. I bought a 180 tstat.

Thank you.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do realize that the gains you'll see from going e-fan are negligible, right? And that 180 deg. stat isn't going to make the truck run cooler without a tune to command the fans on at a lower temperature. With the 180 stat and no tune the only thing you're doing is getting fresh coolant to the heads a little bit sooner. If you like to romp on the engine before it's all the way warmed up you can worry less about getting the heads too hot, but otherwise it's not going to make a bit of difference.

Call me old fashioned, but I like the engine driven fan... it's one less thing I have to worry about shorting out later.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Copy that, thanks for the input. It basically just gets driven on a highway every day, maybe a couple times a week go to the store in a town of 1500, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have also seen guys that just removed the clutch fan and did nothing else. I don't do any city driving...tempting.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 and ran mine without an efan and just the ac condensor for about 3 weeks without issue... mind you I had the 180 t stat in already and it was tuned to operate at that temp... I know you can do that on the newer trucks without issue but most that have 09 to 12 trucks recommend the efan... as for all you need... i just used the TYC efan for the ram v6 and thats it...take off the fan clutch(reverse thread) pull the shroud... and ac condensor and then drop new efan in bolt up ... plug in the connector and thats all

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I can tell on an 09-12, it's simple - remove the clutch fan, remove the condenser fan, bolt in the efan and connect it to the old condenser fan wiring. If you're running stock thermostat, that's about it. If not, then yes, you'd need a tune to get it to come on at a lower temp. However, being as it's connected to the condenser wiring, it should be on whenever the AC is on.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I did mine -- 2010. What's the question?

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think it has been answered....

Did you add the fan, also, after removing the cluctch fan?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I think it has been answered....

Did you add the fan, also, after removing the cluctch fan?
I did, and run the 180 Tstat and custom tune.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I really see no downside in doing the delete. Lots of folks talk about minimal gains. For me, any gain is a worthwhile endeavor. What's more, it completely opens up the engine bay making cleaning, repairs and display a dream. Good luck with your project!

fullsizeoutput_230c.jpeg LwtzLFIJRwyb+ddTTqRFkg.jpg q4fk5Wi9Q4qx3m9+CKv1pg.jpg

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have also seen guys that just removed the clutch fan and did nothing else. I don't do any city driving...tempting.

I wouldn't recommend that. You would be making your A/C fan your primary and only fan... something it wasn't designed to do. It would likely work just fine for a while, but then either the A/C fan would burn out early or you'd end up stuck in a traffic jam on a sweltering summer day and overheat.

Bottom line here guys... it's a ~400hp engine and cool air is YOUR FRIEND. Are you really going to get rid of a fan that's consuming 5hp at most and risk overheating for what amounts to a ~1% power gain? Use your brain for a minute.

Sounds like the ricers who bypass their power steering for a 2hp gain... gimme a break.

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CAn anyone take a pic of the 2019 fan and see how that compares to the v6 fan we are all considering.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for the answers, everyone. Fan will be in work soon

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wouldn't recommend that. You would be making your A/C fan your primary and only fan... something it wasn't designed to do. It would likely work just fine for a while, but then either the A/C fan would burn out early or you'd end up stuck in a traffic jam on a sweltering summer day and overheat.

Bottom line here guys... it's a ~400hp engine and cool air is YOUR FRIEND. Are you really going to get rid of a fan that's consuming 5hp at most and risk overheating for what amounts to a ~1% power gain? Use your brain for a minute.

Sounds like the ricers who bypass their power steering for a 2hp gain... gimme a break.

The clutch fans give more trouble then the electric fan usually.Lots of guys are running just the stock e-fan with no issues.Mines been deleted since my truck was new and I've never had any overheating issues,even while running the **** out of the truck in the mountains racing a WRX,where the truck was running between 4500 to 6500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gears at 95+ outdoor temps

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The clutch fans give more trouble then the electric fan usually.Lots of guys are running just the stock e-fan with no issues.

If it works for you that's great, I simply prefer the piece of mind of an engine driven fan. I really don't see the clutch fan giving "more trouble" than an electric one. I've got an '88 Chevy 1500 that is used for dump runs and hauling dirty stuff around, still got the original fan and original clutch, still running strong.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it works for you that's great, I simply prefer the piece of mind of an engine driven fan. I really don't see the clutch fan giving "more trouble" than an electric one. I've got an '88 Chevy 1500 that is used for dump runs and hauling dirty stuff around, still got the original fan and original clutch, still running strong.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Do a search looking for complaints in regard to the OEM electric fan,then do a search for complaints against the OEM clutch fan,it'll open your eyes,the clutch fans have been known to go south,way more often then the OEM electric fan,and will quite often take out the water pump if ran long enough.Like I said there's quite a few guys running with just the stock electric with-out upgrading to the V-6 fan.If you do a lot of towing,yes i'd leave the stock clutch fan and shroud on,but if all you do is use your truck as a pavenment princess,and are using a tuner,by all means try running it with-out the clutch fan,if it runs hot,put the stock clutch fan back on,doesn't take a genius to figure that out,now does it NC,lol