Electric Radiator Fan Spin Effortlessly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to replace the Tstat on my 2016 Ram Hemi. When I had the radiator replaced, I forgot about the Tstat. So, in just a few short weeks the Hemi is heating up over 240. Put in a new 195 Tstat, burped it, and tested it out for performance. All is well I thought until I was told the electric fan is not coming on. I was under the impression it would come on when ideling or at a certain speed. I may have read that wrong in the forum or online.

The fan spins freely, to freely. Should it be replaced?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure about newer rams but on my 2014 fan doesnt kick til 212F does the truck have any stored codes?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Had to replace the Tstat on my 2016 Ram Hemi. When I had the radiator replaced, I forgot about the Tstat. So, in just a few short weeks the Hemi is heating up over 240. Put in a new 195 Tstat, burped it, and tested it out for performance. All is well I thought until I was told the electric fan is not coming on. I was under the impression it would come on when ideling or at a certain speed. I may have read that wrong in the forum or online.

The fan spins freely, to freely. Should it be replaced?
Turn the A/C on full tilt,that should engage the electric fan if it's working

OP
OP
El Guapo Phil

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WildOne and Indept, thank you. I will check it out and go from there.
I was given the wrong info about the motor fan. It is okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guapo Phil

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked the Ram to see if there was an electric fan. No electric fan, just the motor fan. I look in front and rear of radiator, no fan attached.

Would it be best to have one installed. I've had the Ram since 2017 and never donned about an electric fan.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I checked the Ram to see if there was an electric fan. No electric fan, just the motor fan. I look in front and rear of radiator, no fan attached.

Would it be best to have one installed. I've had the Ram since 2017 and never donned about an electric fan.
You have one,but it's hard to see,as it's inside the shrould,attached right behind the rad,you almost have to be a contortionist to get your head far enough down to see it,if you have a small mirror and light to shine in,you should be able to spot it.All 4th Gen trucks have the electric e-fan,thats more dedicated to keeping the truck cool when the A/C is activated

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If electric fan is working, check mechanical fan clutch mounted on water pump. When they go bad fan will not spin fast enough to cool engine when idling or stop & go driving like in the city.
If it cools back down when cruising at 50 mph or faster it's probably the fan clutch.
If it doesn't cool down when cruising at those speeds I would replace water pump .

Update: Reread your post, was temperature okay after radiator replacement?
If it was & it is getting hot after thermostat replacement, I would look there, bad thermostat or didn't burp air correctly.

Last edited:

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the clutch fan in my 2016 1500, too. The fan, if plugged into the factory A/C fan harness, uses the temp sender to activate the fan. Mine was a generic e-fan and I had to splice the harness to get the 4" I needed to make the connection. All that being said, the fan operates with or without A/C on. Take a peek at the fuses!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I replaced the clutch fan in my 2016 1500, too. The fan, if plugged into the factory A/C fan harness, uses the temp sender to activate the fan. Mine was a generic e-fan and I had to splice the harness to get the 4" I needed to make the connection. All that being said, the fan operates with or without A/C on. Take a peek at the fuses!
The electric fan is on a relay,and will cycle under the right conditions if the temperature/heater controls are set to defrost or the A/C is on,or the truck gets over 220F