Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012bighorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,

I’ve had my ram for 6 years now. Had my ups and downs with it. It’s a 2012 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. 225,000 kms on it. New lifters and camshaft at 200,000 kms. Spent a lot of money on repairs. Seems like it’s just one thing after another with this truck. Seems to just be slowing down and sucking back more and more fuel. I do love it though and would love to save it. I am wondering what kind of stuff I could upgrade to help make this truck feel new and alive again? More fuel efficient as well. I’ve got 35” tires and I don’t think I’m calibrated for them. Should I get some sort of performance chip? Exhaust, cold are intake? Can I delete all the computer crap so I stop having check engine lights come on due to sensors and such. I would love any advice. Any questions about the truck let me know.

looking forward to any response.

thanks!

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I’ve had my ram for 6 years now. Had my ups and downs with it. It’s a 2012 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. 225,000 kms on it. New lifters and camshaft at 200,000 kms. Spent a lot of money on repairs. Seems like it’s just one thing after another with this truck. Seems to just be slowing down and sucking back more and more fuel. I do love it though and would love to save it. I am wondering what kind of stuff I could upgrade to help make this truck feel new and alive again? More fuel efficient as well. I’ve got 35” tires and I don’t think I’m calibrated for them. Should I get some sort of performance chip? Exhaust, cold are intake? Can I delete all the computer crap so I stop having check engine lights come on due to sensors and such. I would love any advice. Any questions about the truck let me know.

thanks!

I’d suggest going with the tuner first. The truck doesn’t know it has those big 35’s so that is definitely slowing you down. I got a superchips flashpaq for my 2014 and it totally changed the truck. It also has an obd scanner function so you can read and clear any codes the truck has thrown at you. A cold air intake and exhaust will wake it up as well, and give it a nice sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2012bighorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’d suggest going with the tuner first. The truck doesn’t know it has those big 35’s so that is definitely slowing you down. I got a superchips flashpaq for my 2014 and it totally changed the truck. It also has an obd scanner function so you can read and clear any codes the truck has thrown at you. A cold air intake and exhaust will wake it up as well, and give it a nice sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So do you just input your tire info to the chip? I’ve never had one before but that could be an inexpensive place to start.

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do you just input your tire info to the chip? I’ve never had one before but that could be an inexpensive place to start.

Yeah you can adjust different parameters in the tuner to accommodate for different tire sizes. It comes with preloaded tunes that you can install as is or adjust to your liking. They range from an economy based 87 octane tune to a 93 performance tune. I’m running the 91 octane performance tune with mds turned off on mine cause that’s the highest grade we have here in Los Angeles. I was hesitant before getting mine but I can truly say it is absolutely worth the money to get a tuner. It gives you so much ability to fine tune your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think transmission tuning makes a big difference. Raised the shift point from 5.5k to 6.1k and shifts are nice and firm at WOT.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey guys,

thanks!

When was your last tune up? I cant give you suggestions on tuners as i have absolutely 0 idea about them, but i can give you help regarding trans if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk