2012 Ram 2500 Trailer Brake Controller Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odins_rule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’m currently trying to figure out what’s up with these trailer brake control modules after having my second one go out.
I bought my truck back in 2015 and from the day I bought it my trailer brake control module read, “CF” and on my dash “Service Trailer Brake System”. So I decided to get a new module (Mopar P/N: 56029431AM) which ended up fixing the problem and worked flawlessly.
Fast forward to about a year ago I started getting the same message intermittently when I’d be randomly driving and the truck starts chiming, Usually all I had to do to fix the issue was mess with the gain switch and I’d be good to go. The problem kept getting more frequent as time went on. Just this past few weeks it’s been permanently stuck on “CF” “Service trailer brake system”. I’ve tried cleaning all the contacts with electric contact cleaner with no luck. If you have any advice I’d love to hear it so I’m not buying a new control module every 2 years.