2013 Big Horn electrical short or fuel pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new to the forum so apologies if I am posting in wrong area and or this has been dealt with in the past.
Have been several days dealing with this with no luck. Truck died while idling and hasn't started since (cranks but no start) its a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L Big Horn. Had it towed home and found U0109 code and a blown fuel pump fuse. Replaced the fuse and it blows every time while cranking the engine. Seems like a short to me but I'm having trouble finding wiring diagram for the truck and not even sure I'd know where to begin to look. I have done a quick inspection of the wiring I can see and nothing stands out. Removed harness from fuel pump and fuse blew again, so pump shouldn't be the issue. I am also having different messages show up on dash. First was service trailer brake system, then service anti lock brakes then tire pressure monitoring system and maybe a couple more. Is this due to the lost communication code that scanned?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty good with mechanical fixes but the electrical has me stumped.
Thanks,
Bill

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look under the TIPM/fuse block under the hood unplug it see if anything is melted or chewed wires.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing looks bad there.
Thanks
The issue could possibly be in the TIPM but they dont normally just blow fuses its usually the relay that fails. You are going to have to trace the wire all the way from the tank to the front someone mmight be able to post a diagram.

OP
OP
B

Bill08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been trying to do that, nothing so far. Should I be looking only on those wires or could the short be somewhere unrelated to the fuel system. Have read some have O2 sensor wires or alternator wires causing the short.

OP
OP
B

Bill08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just home from picking up new Fuel Pump Control Module, cause it was cheap, and the code says lost communication with FPCM.
Worth a shot I guess.

OP
OP
B

Bill08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She started this morning, not sure if it was the ground wire, the FPCM or the fact that I gave the bottom of the tank a smack. I was laid under the tank and when the pump kicked in I could hear it but not sure if it sounded right. Never listened too closely before but almost gurgled a bit instead of the wurring sound you can hear from the cab. Have a bunch of dash messages store now service trailer brake system, service ABS system etc. and tire pressure monitor shows no pressure in front tires. Left truck running for a while to see if they clear themselves but I've had a brake light out message for ages even though none are out so I'm not holding my breath.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
She started this morning, not sure if it was the ground wire, the FPCM or the fact that I gave the bottom of the tank a smack. I was laid under the tank and when the pump kicked in I could hear it but not sure if it sounded right. Never listened too closely before but almost gurgled a bit instead of the wurring sound you can hear from the cab. Have a bunch of dash messages store now service trailer brake system, service ABS system etc. and tire pressure monitor shows no pressure in front tires. Left truck running for a while to see if they clear themselves but I've had a brake light out message for ages even though none are out so I'm not holding my breath.
The brake light out message could be caused by the cab mounted 3rd brake light.

OP
OP
B

Bill08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured that one out today, thanks. Took the truck around the block a few times and all the messages disappeared. They showed up when the truck first cut out so I guess there was enough of an electrical issue that it sent out a variety of codes. Hopefully the fix holds.