2013 Dodge Ram Sport No Reverse Lamps & No backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone,
Weird issue I've been having.

I recently installed the infotainment aftermarket back up camera and opted out of the programmer since I have alfaobd. I've unlocked all the proper settings. The two issues I see are the following:
1) Back up camera does not turn in. Blue screen camera is unavailable.
2) Reverse Lamps don't turn on.

I've checked the wiring for the backup camera and verified l fuses are good. What am I missing? Or what can the issue be? Is there a brake reverse switch that is broken or 4th Rams have it controlled elsewhere? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It sounds like you have lost the transmission reverse signal (or never had it). Where did your instructions tell you to get the reverse signal from to turn the camera on? What kind of infotainment system did you install? Was it from Dodge, as in a stock system from someone else? Or was it completely aftermarket? Did the truck originally have a backup camera and did it work before you changed systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It sounds like you have lost the transmission reverse signal (or never had it). Where did your instructions tell you to get the reverse signal from to turn the camera on? What kind of infotainment system did you install? Was it from Dodge, as in a stock system from someone else? Or was it completely aftermarket? Did the truck originally have a backup camera and did it work before you changed systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the aftermarket system from "infotainment". Not sure but it looks like my reverse lights went out or always have been out but haven't noticed until after installing the backup camera unit. Do model year 2013s have a reverse switch or controlled via a switch under the shifter?

The truck had no backup camera previous in stock form. The kit is plug and play from infotainment. So no mention of reverse signal in instructions.
I double checked fuses, reverse bulbs and wires and after enabling the values with alfaobd blue screen is all I get when I put it in reverse and no reverse lights turn on.

I only changed two settings within alfaobd
- Ecu3 Rear camera present
- Vehicle 1 config Rear camera present.
Did I possibly miss a setting?

Last edited:

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I honestly have never used the alphaobd so I have no idea what to tell you about that part. There is a reverse signal that goes to the reverse light bulbs that actually provides them power when the transmission goes into reverse. You may have to tap into that line to get the reverse signal from the transmission to actually get the camera to work and not just blue screen. I'm sure 1 of the guys on here that is better with the wiring and the alphaobd that can help you. It just sounds like you're just missing that signal and everything might pop on. The 1 thing that does concern me is that you didn't know if your reverse lights were working prior to installing all of this. That would be the best piece of information to know at this point to be honest.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I honestly have never used the alphaobd so I have no idea what to tell you about that part. There is a reverse signal that goes to the reverse light bulbs that actually provides them power when the transmission goes into reverse. You may have to tap into that line to get the reverse signal from the transmission to actually get the camera to work and not just blue screen. I'm sure 1 of the guys on here that is better with the wiring and the alphaobd that can help you. It just sounds like you're just missing that signal and everything might pop on. The 1 thing that does concern me is that you didn't know if your reverse lights were working prior to installing all of this. That would be the best piece of information to know at this point to be honest.
Thanks for the help. The kit I ordered doesn't require splicing as it draws power from the 12v outlet so that's why I'm a bit perplexed on what it could be. I will be checking the connections behind the headunit to verify nothing disconnected.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's not that the camera is looking for power I don't think. I think it's more like it's looking for a signal to become active when you put the truck in reverse. Without that reverse signal it doesn't know when to become active. It sounds like it has power now. I was never good with radios\radio systems\backup cameras, but this was an issue that I ran into when I tried to put my backup camera where it belonged as opposed to the previous owner having it right by the license plate. I ended up having a bad backup camera (that I ordered and received DOA) and then having a trusted radio shop that i've used for years installing a good one for me.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any one else installed a Infotainment
aftermarket kit and had similar issues? I double checked the wiring and it's all correct. Also I am on the latest FW version 17.43.X so not sure if that would be of any concern. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks I'm advance.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so after some further research I found I have an error code U0264 Lost communication with camera module. Everytime I clear this it comes right back when I rescan. Anyone know what part this refers to?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok so after some further research I found I have an error code U0264 Lost communication with camera module. Everytime I clear this it comes right back when I rescan. Anyone know what part this refers to?
It’s seeing a short or open in either the lin bus, run relay, or ground wire of the backup camera circuits. Use AlfaOBD to disable the two camera settings back to the way it was before the install. Clear the code. Does it come back now?
Can you say for absolute certain whether or not your reverse lights worked before the install?
Does the kit have just a power, ground, and video, or does it also have a lin bus wire ?

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reverse lights work. Bulbs were burnt out. Once replaced working as expected. The kit is just power, ground and video. When disabling the alfaobd back to NOT present the code does not appear when placing the vehicle in reverse as it would when setting it to present. When setting it back to present in alfa another code appears along with the original.
U0264 - Lost communication with Camera Module
U113B - Lost communication with switch bank module

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reverse lights work. Bulbs were burnt out. Once replaced working as expected. The kit is just power, ground and video. When disabling the alfaobd back to NOT present the code does not appear when placing the vehicle in reverse as it would when setting it to present. When setting it back to present in alfa another code appears along with the original.
U0264 - Lost communication with Camera Module
U113B - Lost communication with switch bank module
When you say “setting it back to present”, do you mean one setting, or both settings? Trying to figure out if it’s the VehicleConfig 1 setting causing the fault, or the ECU3 setting.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you say “setting it back to present”, do you mean one setting, or both settings? Trying to figure out if it’s the VehicleConfig 1 setting causing the fault, or the ECU3 setting.
I usually set both, but good point you made. I'll try setting one each and scanning for faults. Can I ask if the fault is in one and not the other what will that provide?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I usually set both, but good point you made. I'll try setting one each and scanning for faults. Can I ask if the fault is in one and not the other what will that provide?
One of those settings is enabling the lin bus circuit for the backup camera. There’s no camera on the other end of that circuit, so it throws a fault. It’s possible that only one of those settings needs to be enabled.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of those settings is enabling the lin bus circuit for the backup camera. There’s no camera on the other end of that circuit, so it throws a fault. It’s possible that only one of those settings needs to be enabled.
Vehicle1Config is throwing the error. When only ECU3 is enabled no error codes but still blue screen with no camera available when putting it in reverse. Thanks for helping narrow down this far much appreciated. I also checked the cameras cables and see that power is received so not sure if DOA unit or I need to turn on any other settings.

OP
OP
M

markboni55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vehicle1Config is throwing the error. When only ECU3 is enabled no error codes but still blue screen with no camera available when putting it in reverse. Thanks for helping narrow down this far much appreciated. I also checked the cameras cables and see that power is received so not sure if DOA unit or I need to turn on any other settings.