2013 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Salov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title states, plus it has a 3.21 rear end.
Problem is the dealer stated the tow rating was 7100 which is higher than I needed. So I bought it. First time pulling boat which weighs in between 4500-5100 I got a engine light and it went into limp mode.
The code was PO365 which is cam shaft position sensor. Replaced it the next day. The following day, pulling boat same roads, check engine light came on and it went into limp mode again. This time the code was PO369 still the cam shaft position sensor but it shows as a intermittent problem. Cleared code and truck runs fine.
Since this I have tried to get accurate information on the tow ratings. I have found 3 different ratings. One says 4100#, another claims 7100# and even found one that claims 9100#. If indeed it is 4100# and my boat exceeds that weight would or could that be causing the check engine light and the error codes?
Why would Ram or anyone make a full size truck with such a low weight tow rating. I should mention that this is a regular cab short box truck. We really love the truck, but the reason we purchased was to pull boat. Need some advise and help on true tow rating.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 3.6 w/3.21 is only rated to tow about 4500 lbs, the 3.55/3.92 has the higher 6500 lbs rating. The Hemi/EcoD are the ones that go up to 9K lbs.

Octane

Reaction score
Never tow in overdrive is what gm used to say about the 700r4 tranny back in the day My friend would use his to tow and leave it in overdrive and the computer light would come on.He finally listened.But in my Ram I run my 6 speed in 4 or 5th gear selector to tow even in the tow/ haul mode.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are towing over the rating for v6 with 3.21 but thatsthat cause a CEL. Something else is causing that.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Problem is the dealer stated the tow rating was 7100 which is higher than I needed. So I bought it. First time pulling boat which weighs in between 4500-5100 I got a engine light and it went into limp mode.
The code was PO365 which is cam shaft position sensor. Replaced it the next day. The following day, pulling boat same roads, check engine light came on and it went into limp mode again. This time the code was PO369 still the cam shaft position sensor but it shows as a intermittent problem. Cleared code and truck runs fine.
Since this I have tried to get accurate information on the tow ratings. I have found 3 different ratings. One says 4100#, another claims 7100# and even found one that claims 9100#. If indeed it is 4100# and my boat exceeds that weight would or could that be causing the check engine light and the error codes?
Why would Ram or anyone make a full size truck with such a low weight tow rating. I should mention that this is a regular cab short box truck. We really love the truck, but the reason we purchased was to pull boat. Need some advise and help on true tow rating.

The 3.6L Pentastar V6 is my all time favorite V6, and i haven’t heard about camshaft position sensors going out. Possible short? Check your grounds? I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I didn't think that 4x4 with 3.21 was an option? I thought all 4x4 3.6l were 3.55?

Regardless, if you go to the Mopar owner connect site and setup a profile with your VIN, you will get the tow rating for YOUR vehicle on the left hand side of the dashboard.

For reference, I recently posted this on my tow rating for my 2014...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I thought 3.21 is standard even with 3.21.. When I bought mine I looked at window stickers for multiple 4x4 rams with 3.6 and most of them are 3.21..

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your issue sounds unrelated to towing, it’s just appearing then as the engine is being worked hard.

I have the same config, and yes it is 4100lbs, 3.55 makes it over 6000lbs.

I have towed over, no issues.