2013 Ram 1500 5.7L Short Bed Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeater1618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013, 2020
Engine
My son called 2 or so months ago, truck would not start, I told him to cycle key 3-4 times and he got it running. Since then, it has been running fine until yesterday. Yesterday, the truck started but turned off after only 1-2 seconds. Cycled key, no help. tried different key thinking it might e the FOB and security system, no help there. No CEL was thrown. I sprayed some starter fluid in intake and got it running to get the truck home. Now it's running as supposed too (again) but has thrown a CEL of U0109 -data bus, fuel pump, control module - no communication. It also has a P2110 and P2111 which deals with throttle actuator forced open and limited rpm - I caused these when spraying starter fluid in and operating the butterfly valve by hand.

Do I need to replace the fuel pump assembly inside the tank? Is this the pump and sending unit all in one assembly?

This is a short bed truck. Is it easier to tilt the bed or drop the tank? I have seen some videos that say if I tilt the bed, the fuel pump is still located under the cab so I would still have to drop the tank. I am not at home right now to see where the pump is actually located on the truck. Tank has never been dropped and bed never removed/tilted in 9 years so I am sure there will be all kinds of problems while either dropping tank or tilting bed. -that's my luck (new front brakes last weekend took 3-4 hours as most bolts were frozen solid -including the slide pins.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the fuel pump on a 2014 and I can say it is under the bed. The tank runs forward under the cab, but the pump is definitely a little ways behind the cab. I pulled the bed off. You better have an impact handy, the bolts have LocTite on them.
As far as your other question, I have no clue.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I have a short bed truck and have done both methods. Unfortunately, you can't just 'tilt' the bed in my experience, you have to lift it off entirely or just go horizontal 10-12", which gives you enough clearance to work on/replace the fuel pump. The bed fits too tightly and you'd have to pull the rear wheels so it would 'tilt' I think.

I'll tell you, it's easier just to lift the bed though. Dropping the tank sucks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be the TIPM or caused by the TIPM. Worst case, you fix fuel pump and the TIPM fry's it again. I would bypass TIPM fuel relay to cigarette relay (only comes on with key) and see if that helps it before just changing fuel pump. Just do a forum search, many examples of this.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Replacing the relay itself may or may not help, thus why I say you need to bypass it. If it is TIPM the problem is in the solder joints within the TIPM itself, not the relay. It is a well known issue.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The only thing other to add, you shouldn't actuate the E-throttle from the throttle plate itself w/ the key in the ignition. That will throw all kinds of codes that I'm not sure will clear themselves.

I know some years ago, there were vehicles that would require a re-learn to run right after this was done.

Also, next time this happens to your son, have him smack the bottom of the fuel tank to see if the pump comes back to life. That's a sure way to know if the pump/motor itself has a dead spot or not.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The only thing other to add, you shouldn't actuate the E-throttle from the throttle plate itself w/ the key in the ignition. That will throw all kinds of codes that I'm not sure will clear themselves.

I know some years ago, there were vehicles that would require a re-learn to run right after this was done.

Also, next time this happens to your son, have him smack the bottom of the fuel tank to see if the pump comes back to life. That's a sure way to know if the pump/motor itself has a dead spot or not.
No it won't,i've installed several nitrous systems on late model Dodges,and to set the nitrous activation point on the majority of nitrous systems,that use wide open throttle voltage to activate the nitrous,you have to manually open the throttle body with the key "on",never yet had one set a throttle code,or any code for that matter.You don't want to disconnect the throttle body electrical harness with the key on or the battery hooked up though

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No it won't,i've installed several nitrous systems on late model Dodges,and to set the nitrous activation point on the majority of nitrous systems,that use wide open throttle voltage to activate the nitrous,you have to manually open the throttle body with the key "on",never yet had one set a throttle code,or any code for that matter.You don't want to disconnect the throttle body electrical harness with the key on or the battery hooked up though

Good to know and a weird one too.

I've never seen a mis-match between the throttle position sensor(s) and the accelerator pedal position sensor(s) not result in some lights, codes, etc. Maybe the vehicle has to be in drive and moving for it to be a problem on Rams.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good to know and a weird one too.

I've never seen a mis-match between the throttle position sensor(s) and the accelerator pedal position sensor(s) not result in some lights, codes, etc. Maybe the vehicle has to be in drive and moving for it to be a problem on Rams.
If the trucks running and you try to manually open the throttle body,it might throw a code,i've never tried that to check,but as long as the trucks not running,it won't throw a code .

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
maybe im just lucky but when i changed the fuel tank straps on my 06 1500 (due to one completely rusting through) i had no trouble impacting the strap bolts off with a bit of penetrating oil inside the frame. and the truck spent its life in the rust belt with lots of rust to show for it!

as long as the tank is not full i would not worry about dropping it.
on a new condition truck i can see lifting the box not taking too long either
so depends on how you feel about the job i guess

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI on this generation you can’t just tilt the bed due to the fact that it has to be moved rearwards in order for the bottom corners of the bed to clear the cab.