2013 Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric326

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

Looking to add the front axle and transfer case skid plates to my 2013 Ram 1500 express. I've looked through some of the threads from people who added them to 2012 or older Rams, but I'm curious if anyone has found out whether they fit on a 2013. Seems like Dodge used the same skid plate from 2006+

From the pictures I've seen, everything looks almost identical under the truck for mounting. I would prefer to hear from anyone who has already tried it though before ordering. Thanks for the help everyone.

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever get an answer to this question Eric326?

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn that I bought in May off the lot and it was not equipped with skid plates from the factory. At the time of purchase the dealer (Ontario Canada) indicated that skid plates were NOT available from either the dealer parts department or aftermarket suppliers. I have been watching for a source for these parts ever since without success.

I was wondering if anyone knows a source in the US or Canada for skid plates that will fit the 2013 Ram 1500?

I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

XTrooper

Reaction score
Retired and living in the mountains of NE Pennylva
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

Looking to add the front axle and transfer case skid plates to my 2013 Ram 1500 express. I've looked through some of the threads from people who added them to 2012 or older Rams, but I'm curious if anyone has found out whether they fit on a 2013. Seems like Dodge used the same skid plate from 2006+

From the pictures I've seen, everything looks almost identical under the truck for mounting. I would prefer to hear from anyone who has already tried it though before ordering. Thanks for the help everyone.

I bought them and installed them on my truck. The front skid plate bolts right up. The rear skid plate bracket bolts right up also, but when you bolt up the front edge of the rear skid plate, the rear holes in it don't line up with the holes in the bracket. I simply drilled two new holes in the bracket and bolted it up. Took me about 10 extra minutes and there are no new holes in the truck itself, only the skid plate bracket that is included in the rear skid plate kit.

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks XTrooper. This is really helpful information. I don't mind drilling a couple of holes in a bracket to make the rear plate work. Based on your information I am going to order the skidplates for a 2012, which I know are available, and install them on my 2013.

XTrooper

Reaction score
Retired and living in the mountains of NE Pennylva
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks XTrooper. This is really helpful information. I don't mind drilling a couple of holes in a bracket to make the rear plate work. Based on your information I am going to order the skidplates for a 2012, which I know are available, and install them on my 2013.

You're welcome. When you're doing the rear plate, install the bracket first, then bolt up the front of the plate by aligning its front holes with the two threaded holes in the truck frame. Then using the rear holes in the plate as your guide, drill the new holes in the bracket. It's a pretty easy job.

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again. I was wondering if that was what you did. I'll post again when the job is done. I'm sure there are others wondering about this installation procedure.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Im not sure it would be possible to order, recieve, and install skid plates in less than 48 hours.

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Successful installation of 2012 skid plates on 2013 vehicle !

As I promised some weeks ago, I would like to report on my experience with installing skid plates intended for a 2012 model year Ram 1500 on my 2013 Ram. As some of you have already discovered, skid plates for 2013 vehicles just don't seem to be available.

I purchased the front and read skid plates intended for a 2012 vehicle from Moparonlineparts.com (Westbury NY) after discovering the parts I wanted were unavailable in Canada. Dave at Moparonlineparts.com warned me they could not guarantee fitment on a 2013, but I proceeded with buying the parts anyway on the advice of Xtrooper on this forum (see previous messages).

I am very pleased to report that the front skid plate intended for the 2012 model is a perfect fit for the 2013 model. Literally a five minute installation.

And, as I was informed by Ram Forum member XTrooper, the transfer case skid plate intended for the 2012 model required only minor modification to fit the 2013. That installation took something like 10 minutes counting the time it took to drill two new holes in the lateral mounting bracket.

To install the transfer case skid plate I installed the lateral mounting bracket first. It bolted on in two minutes. No modification needed. Then I mounted the transfer case skid plate itself to the vehicle frame at the front of the skid plate --once again using the original holes which align perfectly on the 2013 model. At this point the skid plate was held in place as required at the front but the two pre-drilled holes at the rear end of the plate did not align with the pre-drilled holes in the lateral bracket. It was a simple matter to use the pre-drilled holes on the skid plate as a pilot to locate the two new holes I needed to drill in the lateral bracket. There was absolutely no need to drill holes in the vehicle.

Even with the need to drill two new holes, the whole installation was a piece of cake. Allowing 20 to 30 minutes to install both plates is more than enough time for even the most careful worker. I would recommend this installation for any one. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20131014-00225.jpg
    IMG-20131014-00225.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,922
  • IMG-20131014-00226.jpg
    IMG-20131014-00226.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3,849

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the price on these plates and do they come with all required hardware for install. What size hole do you have to drill? I too have a 13 model and would be interested in these provided mine does not already have them.

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post a link of where you got it please

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy to answer questions

RamExpress has the right links at Moparonlineparts.com for the two plates I purchased there. The front plate was a little over $100 and the transfer case plate was more like a hundred and a half. They shipped really fast, so I can recommend them based on my one time purchase from them.

To be clear I did install both plates. The front one was ridiculously easy. Literally a five minute job. The rear transfer case plate took a bit longer because of the need to drill two new holes (see discussion above), but even there the whole job took about 20 minutes.

I am very pleased with the results and recommend it to anyone with a 2013 Ram without skid plates.

i assume you installed the transfer plate:
Ram 1500 Skid Plates - Transfer Case (Part No: 82210021): MoparOnlineParts.com
but did you also install the one for the suspension?:
Ram 1500 Skid Plates - Front Suspension (Part No: 82210014): MoparOnlineParts.com

and thanks for posting up information and pictures! always good to have detail reports from people who have actually done the install!!

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, all the hardware and instructions were provided with the skid plates purchased from Moparonline.com The bolts are self-threading and very good quality. All you need is a ratcheting socket wrench to install them. When it came to drilling the two additional holes in the bracket provided for mounting the transfer case skid plate, I simply selected the drill bit size that fit most closely in the existing holes in the bracket. No need to thread the new holes or use nuts on the bolts. The provided self-threading bolts went right in with no problem.

It was an easy job. Just take the time to properly and safely raise your vehicle before crawling under it to work.

What is the price on these plates and do they come with all required hardware for install. What size hole do you have to drill? I too have a 13 model and would be interested in these provided mine does not already have them.

cheapskate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
the one thing that I find to be ridiculous

it seems ridiculous to me that the build and price on the chrysler website allows you to add the protection group in the 2014 lower end models yet nobody has oem parts to do so...running into a lot of that with respect to skid plates, backup camera through the connect 5.0 radio etc. While I don't intend to go off road any time soon I just went through an ordeal with a transfer case on a 2010 journey that I have no desire to repeat on the 2014 ram.

Just my little rant....overall so far very pleased with quality of truck. And fuel mileage. Beats the 3.5l journey all to hell and back.

Colonel Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my rant

I agree Cheapskate. Skidplates are so cheap and readily available on a factory order and so complicated to find otherwise, both OEM and aftermarket. I bought my truck off the lot and it had no skidplates included. I'm just grateful that with the advice of people in this forum I was able to solve the problem.

A month or two later I was at the dealership for a recall notice and took the time to alert him to this easy fix for converting 2012 plates to fit 2013. I thought he would be happy to hear it as I'm sure there are lots of other people like me scratching their head about how to get a skid plate on their truck. However, his eyes sort of glazed over and he said something like, "thanks for sharing that information sir." He really could not care less. Hopefully not all service managers are like that.

My real rant though is about limited slip. My off the lot truck did not come with that option. As may know, the limited slip costs about $300 as a factory option. Ever price it out after? My dealer told me it was going to cost over $2000 to add limited slip to my truck. Haven't done that, and won't at that price.

Still a great truck though. I have the Hemi and it gets mid-20's mileage when I am not hauling. I also love the quiet and smooth ride. Best truck I have ever owned.

Harrys14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody try these plates on a 2014 Express Hemi 8 speed yet? They're on my list of mods/add-ons.

Bump +1 though i have a tradesman model I've been searching for answers the day I got it home and really looked over the truck and noticed it didn't have any. I was amazed at how any people have not had the plates on their truck? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Today I installed the skid plates on a 2014 Ram 1500. The part numbers are the same as listed by RAMEXPRESS. The front plate bolts on with no modifications. The transfer case required drilling 2: 3/8" holes at the rear of the skid plate. The 2 holes were in between the existing mounting holes on the transfer case skid plate.

The only issue I had was that UPS had lost one of my packages and 1/2 of the transfer case skid plate package. I had originally ordered these around the first part of August and just picked them up this morning at UPS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick_Mac