2014-2015 RAM question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have been looking at 2014 and 2015 Ram Laramie/Longhorns (new ones just too expensive) and found a few that looked very good with low mileage...until:

pulling up the Carfax, some of them show service performed for what sounds like the reason the truck is for sale (trade in). Things like: wheels checked, tires replaced, axle replaced, electrical system checked, computer reprogrammed, Recall R23, Recall R36, slight accident (sideswipe),etc. Some of these have been done several times on a truck and then it is sold at auction, traded or whatever.

Could anyone offer their opinion as to what these problems could mean for the next buyer? Would seeing these on Carfax raise a flag to avoid a vehicle? Would you buy one with these issues?

I know serious issues could affect any vehicle after the warranty runs out. But I certainly don't have the spare funds to do major repairs on a problem truck. Just want to get a truck in good condition and hopefully avoid someones problem.

redeldo

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can mean a lot or very little.
In my case for example I had my rear window switch that was faulty at only 5k miles nothing major and it was fixed under warranty no problems ever since and it was categorized as "electrical" checked and fixed something like that.

So if I were to be buying it the car fax or history I would be really wondering about it, electrical can be expensive and a pain.

So again it might be something small or something big it's a gamble that you take when buying used. You can buy used with zero "issues" before history but those could be the worst as well.
Good luck

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I wouldn't like the accident one because next buyer probably pull the car fax but repairs such as axle and recalls ect no worries there. When a dealer takes in a vehicle the preform all the recall work and inspect it. Recall work is basically free money for a dealer no reason for them not to do it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'll find similar reports on all trucks. Recalls and service bulletins are normal. They don't indicate a major flaw in the truck. Rather, they identify a known issue that was investigated, engineered and resolved.

No one truck or brand will be perfect. If you are looking at that year truck it would be easy to add a Chrysler Service Contracts MaxCare bumper to bumper 7 yr/70K mile warranty for peace of mind.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If you see on the report that the truck was brought in multiple times for the same repair, I'd steer away from that one. One repair/recall, then a different one, no worries. As long as its not the same repair over and over. Regardless of history, I'd give it a very thorough test drive at in-town and highway speeds.

People are getting worse and worse about taking care of their vehicles it seems, so you have to be extra vigilant. Carfax or Autocheck is one piece of the puzzle, but it may mean nothing or everything, its just one piece (if that makes sense).

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Look into 16 leftovers. I just got a '16 1500 crew cab big horn, 30% off. Has basically all Laramie options besides leather and appearance stuff.

OP
OP
redeldo

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into 16 leftovers. I just got a '16 1500 crew cab big horn, 30% off. Has basically all Laramie options besides leather and appearance stuff.

If I can't decide what to do you might be hired to get me one, lol. 30% off is something else.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well Ram has been having 20% off for awhile now. Then my dealer, who is a low volume truck dealer decided it was time to step it up, so they added another 10% on top of the 20.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I can't decide what to do you might be hired to get me one, lol. 30% off is something else.

If I may ask, what's the price range in which you're looking?

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Good advice for anyone looking at a used vehicle.... Get an Autocheck not a Carfax. Autocheck's system tends to be more thorough and catch things that Carfax doesn't. Especially on vehicles that have been auctioned. Carfax advertises like crazy so it's what most people are familiar with but Autocheck is the better option. Personal experience from working in the industry for almost a decade, no stake in either company.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP whats you budget? with the discounts going on currently around me you can get a new laramie starting 34-35k.

keep in mind also not everything gets reported to carfax either. its up to the place that does the work to do so.

OP
OP
redeldo

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I may ask, what's the price range in which you're looking?

Hi

We are looking to find a 2 tone between $34000 and 38000. Prefer to make a deal at 34 maybe 35. Trading in a Lexus ES350 with 66700 miles in good + condition. So I would offer my car pluse 23000 plus tax and NO documentation fee.

OP
OP
redeldo

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP whats you budget? with the discounts going on currently around me you can get a new laramie starting 34-35k.

keep in mind also not everything gets reported to carfax either. its up to the place that does the work to do so.

The dealers here in NW Ga on a Longhorn are at or above $41000 and so far refuse to go below.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
new 16 laramies are going in your budget all day by me

what year is the car? what is trade in on it?

OP
OP
redeldo

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
new 16 laramies are going in your budget all day by me

what year is the car? what is trade in on it?

07 Lexus ES 350 w/nav etc and 66700 miles. Close as I can figure about trade in is between 9K and 11k. Great car so far.

Looked at a 2016 Longhorn today msrp was $51506 they came down to $46500 before trade in. Might have to drop down to a Laramie but the Longhorn sure is nice! It would be nice to find one 20% off but ... so I am looking at something in the 2014/2015 range at $35000 or so. Want to get the amount financed down around $25,000. Just don't want to inherit someone's problem.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi

We are looking to find a 2 tone between $34000 and 38000. Prefer to make a deal at 34 maybe 35. Trading in a Lexus ES350 with 66700 miles in good + condition. So I would offer my car pluse 23000 plus tax and NO documentation fee.

as a few have pointed out, the higher end of your budget is really in the meaty part of the new truck market. New truck might have most but not all of the bells and whistles you want. But the trade off would be, it's new. I'd definitely look around. My 2500 4x4 gasser Big Horn was just over $38000 OTD, nicely equipped and is the fanciest vehicle I've owned so far. 1500's tend to start a bit lower in price, look around for a new truck