2014 2500 6.7 drive shaft support bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2014 Ram 2500 4wd 6.7L crew cab long bed has the dreaded driveline shudder @ 149,000 miles.

Upon inspection the rear drive shaft support bearing (or carrier bearing) is really sloppy & the rear u-joint is toast as well.

According to Napa, O'reilly, Carquest & more (searched online & in-store) there is NOT a replacement carrier bearing available for this truck.

A call to the my closest Ram dealer (over 100 miles away) also confirms that the carrier bearing is not serviceable, and that the entire drive shaft needs to be replaced to get a new carrier bearing.

So, a $100 DIY fix just became $1,000+ just for parts. Fortunately I have tools & skills required to install it myself.

My question is WHY would this be the case? It just seems idiotic.

Anyone have an alternative??

Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't have any idea where you live ...

In my town there is a Drive Shaft Shop, the head guy in there makes drive shafts from scratch.
He makes stock or custom shafts
I have used him twice myself, he makes shafts both short & long, straight shafts & shafts with carrier bearings.

He will not make a shaft that do not have the top of the line bearings

You likely have a shop like that near you

OP
OP
T

triceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the reply, I have emailed torqueking to see if the bearing for a 3500 will work on a 2500.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
any mechanic worth a grain of salt would have a service manual close by. the center bearing is replaceable and the book shows how

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope this is true as far as the replacement part listed above goes. It's been a while since I've looked under my 2014 3500 but I thought the carrier bearing looked like it couldn't be replaced because from appearances they put the bearing on before welding the splined end to the driveshaft tube.

Again, I hope I am wrong as the one on my truck is old and I have a slight vibration at lower speeds.

CAN-Got a truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey, I know this is a bit older now, but nay update? I need to change my carrier/ center bearing... Was it a whole new driveshaft or was it able to be replaced...?

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I had a local driveshaft shop make me up a front driveshaft. Truck was used when I bought it and the CV center pivot was shot and the cross on the axle end of the shaft was shot. They made me a totally new shaft, using Spicer greasable crosses and CV. My next plan for the front end is locking hubs so I can disconnect the front rotating assembly until I actually need it.

Now that said, my rear shaft is getting the dreaded clunk when going into reverse or shifting back to forward. Haven't had the chance to check it yet but I'm betting the center support is shot. MOPAR doesn't have the parts any more (like that's a surprise) but I have found a few driveshaft suppliers online that have the center support assy. Try Googling "Torque King 4x4".

I also found one that has a new tailpiece for the transfer case that had a tailpiece with yoke that replaces the ******* slip joint that some doddering idiot ******* so-called "engineer" designed into our trucks. So if you happen to blow the driveshaft while off road, you can simply remove it, put the truck into 4x4, and let the front axle get you home.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a local driveshaft shop make me up a front driveshaft. Truck was used when I bought it and the CV center pivot was shot and the cross on the axle end of the shaft was shot. They made me a totally new shaft, using Spicer greasable crosses and CV. My next plan for the front end is locking hubs so I can disconnect the front rotating assembly until I actually need it.

Now that said, my rear shaft is getting the dreaded clunk when going into reverse or shifting back to forward. Haven't had the chance to check it yet but I'm betting the center support is shot. MOPAR doesn't have the parts any more (like that's a surprise) but I have found a few driveshaft suppliers online that have the center support assy. Try Googling "Torque King 4x4".

I also found one that has a new tailpiece for the transfer case that had a tailpiece with yoke that replaces the ******* slip joint that some doddering idiot ******* so-called "engineer" designed into our trucks. So if you happen to blow the driveshaft while off road, you can simply remove it, put the truck into 4x4, and let the front axle get you home.
1697055767481.png