2014 2500 Cummins eating tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins 4 x 4. Has anybody else had problems with the truck eating the front tires. I'm on my third set but less than 15k on my tires with rotations and they're starting to show outside where I've had it aligned numerous times. I keep the air pressure at the recommended PSI. It's getting really old!

1st set stock tranforce rt
2nd set stock size general grabber AT
3rd set 35x12.5x20BFG AT km2
Miles on truck 60k

Mods 2.5 leveling kit

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
A lot of it depends on where you live.

The outside edges of my front tire tread get chewed down pretty hard, but that's because I live in an area with nothing but curvy roads (tires usually last 12-18 months if they aren't rotated - up to 3 years if they are.) The front tires bear the brunt of the sharp corners, and so they wear down fairly quick, especially when compared to the back tires (which is why tire rotation is taken very seriously out here.)

Before I bore you to death, the point is that maybe a lot of the wear might be explained by where you live?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Before I bore you to death, the point is that maybe a lot of the wear might be explained by where you live?

Too late, He's dead.....:D

OP, Are you the original owner or did you buy used?
If used, it may have been in an accident?????
Or was it fine and all of a sudden this started, if so, there may be bad parts in front end, tie rods or ball joints.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm at 30K on my Nitto EXO Grapplers (285/70-18) and still have a lot of life left in them. I'm also running a 2.3 Bilstein level kit.

I agree on checking the ball joints, tie rods etc. How ever I would have expected a good alignment shop to find that when you were getting the alignments done?

I really like the BFG's but unfortunately they are not a good match for a HD truck. Loved them on my 1/2 ton but they wore out real quick on my previous 3/4 diesel. Lot's og others on the cummins forum have reported premature wear with the BFG's also.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My buddy's 14 CTD wore out his factory Transforce tires(20") fairly quickly also, changed them before 30K. He replaced his with a set of Michelin LTXs and think he is close to 80K now. He does tow a 33' fiver.
When you have the alignment done, was it a thrust angle alignment?
It could just be the road terrain.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Too late, He's dead.....:D

OP, Are you the original owner or did you buy used?
If used, it may have been in an accident?????
Or was it fine and all of a sudden this started, if so, there may be bad parts in front end, tie rods or ball joints.
Ball joints and tie rods have been checked 3 times

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A lot of it depends on where you live.

The outside edges of my front tire tread get chewed down pretty hard, but that's because I live in an area with nothing but curvy roads (tires usually last 12-18 months if they aren't rotated - up to 3 years if they are.) The front tires bear the brunt of the sharp corners, and so they wear down fairly quick, especially when compared to the back tires (which is why tire rotation is taken very seriously out here.)

I am a flat lander

Meterguru

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dIESEL
I own a 2015 Ram 3500 mega cab dually. Eats outside edge off tires by 20,000 miles. So far ate the stock tires and a set of Michelin M/S 65,000 mile tires. Didn't even get to 20 K. Have a set of Coopers on there now let see how they do. Alignment was checked twice. Only a dually can only rotate side to side since Ram is too cheap to put aluminum wheels on the inside. Spoke with a couple of mechanics and they have heard of this problem on the 3500 was pretty common. But no answer on the fix. 52,000 miles on truck right now.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My fleet F250 eats AT tires. Solid axle life and soft compound tires ain’t easy.

firemancooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
Do a search on toe settings. The factory spec is pretty severe. Thuren lifts recommend different settings. Working great on my 2014 2500 so far.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Odd question, how are your coil springs? In the 90's the F250-F350 Fords had issues with excessive spring failure with the 7.3 PowerStroke and the 460 big block motors. the weight of these two big motors was causing the issue. Even though they were leaf springs the sag was enough to affect tire wear before the sag was visible looking at the truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee