Zone 4" Lifted ecodiesel eating cv axles, now driveshaft metallic slapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Those CV angles look pretty suspect. I know it's a silly question, but is there any possibility the installers left out the strut spacer because they (wrongly) thought the truck already has 5100s so no spacer is necessary?

About the driveshaft... yes, BDS claims the warning was there all the time (it wasn't) and I bought and installed a 6" kit on my ecodiesel Ram. They recommended I contacted Adams Driveshaft which I did. As soon as my front driveshaft was replaced, the very irritating knock I had coming out of my front end disappeared.

Maybe you're onto something here, not a silly question at all. The installers were less than ideal to put it nicely (they left parts of the lift finger tight...) I'll get some pics of the strut, I'm assuming the spacer would be on top, visible?

The driveshaft sounds like a good idea too given the current noises seem to come from any motion in it. I'll take a closer look

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
R101922.jpg
spacers are those round barrel-looking things at the top of the pic. They sort of look like big spools of thread and would sit ontop of your struts.

OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Ah that would of been too easy if it was that. The spacers are there.DA99E555-B26D-485C-90C4-11C3BE025160.jpeg
Regarding the weight of the eco diesel, how much more does it weigh than the Hemi, cast iron block vs aluminum? Internet suggests it’s all of 200lbs heavier but that is the 3rd gen diesel vs 2nd gen that this is.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned I would put the bilsteins to the 3rd or 4th notch to help level out the CVs. Also the Ecodeisel has a 4" shorter front driveshaft. This causes the driveshaft to be a severe angle when lifted. That is why all lift companies now say that their lifts wont work with the ED. So the only real fix at this point would be to have a longer driveshaft made.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
The pic of your strut looks as if the shock is totally compressed with very little (or no) shaft showing... or is there a boot on there?

OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
The pic of your strut looks as if the shock is totally compressed with very little (or no) shaft showing... or is there a boot on there?
Oh the boot is still on there hiding them.

Got a lead on a pair of those recommended CV axles, and talking to a driveline shop in the Vancouver area (closest to me) about building me a custom driveshaft that avoids the pinch point.
driveshaft.PNG

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you replace those CVs make sure you set your Bills higher.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
BDS told me that the front drive shaft needs a dual cardon joint. Make sure you let your driveshaft shop know this.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. The new driveshaft does not necessarily have to be much longer…whats more important is getting rid of the cv joint and getting a double cardon joint. This is also common in the jeep world. I had my rubicon cv shaft swapped out for a double cardon one from tom woods. Of course they have them ready to go and know the length already because its a jeep thing lol

OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
The truck is finally in the shop. Most definitely the driveshaft that is coming apart.

I have found several shops that will do up double cardan front driveshafts but all of them are telling me the companion flange that is needed on the transfer case side is on backorder and won't be produced again for about 6 months. The stock driveshaft is a 1 peace deal that isn't flanged on the T case side. Trying to dig up part numbers from Spicer and Napco, or even a engineering diagram of the part I can take to a custom fab shot to make.

Anyone got any leads on where I could score this companion flange?

Worst case I could throw a stock driveshaft back in and wait for parts to come in to do the custom shaft, the last stock driveshaft lasted a couple years before failing so the stock one would get me there.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just drive around without it . problem solved.

I had a 2wd truck for 8 months when I did my Gen 3 front diff swap... lol...

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Try Adam's Driveshaft in Nevada. It took them several weeks to get my driveshaft done but if memory serves me, they had their custom shop make me the needed part when they could not source what was needed from their usual suppliers (this was during COVID when everyone was out of stock of everything).

OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I did call Adam's and it's the same deal as my local shops, nobody can get the flange in for 6-8 months. I might be able to get this part made as a one off for some crazy costs otherwise, it's 2wd or throw a stock shaft back in for now.

I'll give Adam's another call to see if they can get one built.

Attachments

• image(2).png
    image(2).png
    336.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
B

Bubkuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Hey, after many months of delays I finally got the axles in and the Bilsteins adjusted to max. One of the adjuster coil assemblies exploded when the truck was put back on it's own weight which made things fun.
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg

These are the trackmotive extended travel axles. Hopefully they last longer than 3 months as reported by someone else that tried them. They are basically level (truck isn't sitting on level ground in the pic so the right is a little lower than would be otherwise)

The not really a problem is that the truck is rockin more like a 6" lift in the front and the back really needs another inch or two lift so I sit level with the quad in the back.

IMG_1488.jpg
I was going to poke Zone to see if I can get the parts to do the 5" lift in the back, not sure what is replaced between their rear 3" and 5" lifts. Any ideas?

The driveshaft is currently pulled with another stock one on the way, the supply chain is really F'd up here, takes months to get anything these days it seems. Still having a heck of a time finding a companion flange so a shop can build the double carden driveshaft for me. I can get a flange custom made for about 5 times the price, more than I want to spend right now.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not just lower the bils down and leave the back where it is? The front looks too high as it is (of course thats personal preference).

Ecosqueasl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I had the same issues with my CV shafts and drive shaft. Turned out my engine mount bolts had come loose which also holds the 4wd carrier.
I was running a 4inch lift as well