2014 2500 hemi 3.21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Larimie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What should my tranny temp he pulling my 7000 lb travel trailer. Mid 80 degrees out

1500 not 2500

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
here is what google shared...

upload_2020-11-3_16-44-10.png

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If everything on your truck is operating correctly, you'll be in the range above on normal driving while towing, possibly the higher end. A long, steep grade might push you a little over 220 but not much.

If your trans cooler or radiator is plugged, or you have other issues going on, then it could easily be MUCH higher.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
5.7 8sp with 3:21s pulling 7k has never been over 185* even running 35s.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
5.7 8 sp 3.21 stock tires, approx 7k TT, stays under 200.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I don't kmow about the 8 speeds, but the 66fre transmission has a thermostat of sorts in a block that the transmission fluid flows through. If that goes bad or gets restricted that could also cause a rise in trans. temperatures.

Again, I don't kmow about the 8 speed, but when I do the first trans. Service on my truck I will be purchasing the kit to eliminate that block/thermostat.

Even towing in the mountains and working hard in the summer, I don't believe my transmission temperatures have ever exceeded 200 degrees. They got up above 190 a few times, but that has been the max I've seen on my truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't kmow about the 8 speed, but when I do the first trans. Service on my truck I will be purchasing the kit to eliminate that block/thermostat.
The truck ZF 8 spd has a Thermal Management Unit on the side that both heats and cools the transmission fluid. It utilities a built-in bypass to send fluid up to the top couple of rows of what's also the AC condenser coil. There is supposed to be a bypass kit "in the works" for the truck transmissions as of now you would have to custom fab something.
I don't know why people freak out so much about this transmission running as they call it "too warm". When someone like VernDiesel can put over 700K miles towing travel trailers with the factory trans cooling without any transmission issues, is running 200°F fluid really an issue? He does change the fluid every 100K miles. There is a couple others out there that have broke the 200K and 300K miles also.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The truck ZF 8 spd has a Thermal Management Unit on the side that both heats and cools the transmission fluid. It utilities a built-in bypass to send fluid up to the top couple of rows of what's also the AC condenser coil. There is supposed to be a bypass kit "in the works" for the truck transmissions as of now you would have to custom fab something.
I don't know why people freak out so much about this transmission running as they call it "too warm". When someone like VernDiesel can put over 700K miles towing travel trailers with the factory trans cooling without any transmission issues, is running 200°F fluid really an issue? He does change the fluid every 100K miles. There is a couple others out there that have broke the 200K and 300K miles also.

Agreed, and vern is a good example. I have heard of instances where the thermostat in the 66 and 68rfe transmission either fails or gets blocked, which destroys the transmission.

I'm not an engineer, however what is an enemy of transmissions, is heat, even with modern day synthetic oils available.

I always let my truck warm up for a minute or two before I drive it and then drive conservatively until up to normal operate temps, so I don't see the need for the thermostat/ restriction to be there in my case but I have an HD where cases of trans failures have been traced to a failure of that block.

Just my .02...but I agree. In general terms, heat related failure are relatively uncommon on these trucks.

Just what I do.

Last edited: