2014 6.4 Blown/Locked Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACGilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
TIA for any recommendations. Stock, no tune, 2014 6.4 130K, serviced every 5K (Mobil 1) and 100K service. Only problem it has every had was the thermostat going out about 70K. No details from tech other than it's locked up. Driving home Monday it went into what I would call a half limp mode. Engine light came on and power cut back. Could still get 65-70 without too much of a struggle but didn't feel comfortable pushing it. Heading to the shop Tuesday morning stopped off at a C-store and it had a hard time turning over (bad battery I thought). It did start so I drove it to the shop and left it running in the service drive so they could park it. Tech calls later and says the starter and the battery are bad, replace those. New battery and starter do nothing. Tech says engine will not budge. Told him I had to give this some thought before moving forward. No ticking, knocking, 3900 miles current on oil - looked good, all fluids were good.

Read a lot about the lifter/cam issues on the 6.4, would that lock up an engine?

Recommendation on a quality shop/tech familiar with 6.4's in the Houston area?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yikes this doesn't make me feel comfortable lol.

I wouldn't think the lifter problem would cause a motor to lock up. Unless a valve dropped and wedged itself between the piston and cylinder wall at the exact right moment.

If the motor wont turn over. Then something in the bottom end has gone. Rods or pistons. Water will also lock up a motor nice and tight.

I'm sorry but dont have a recommendation on shop. I would love to know though since I'm in Houston.

Hood luck. Let us know how it goes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

ACGilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Been racking my brain but until I crack it open I won't know. I was hoping someone may have had experienced this and could provide some insight. Other than the limp mode power there was zero indication of a problem. No tick, no smoke, no miss, fluids were clean. Nothing that money and time can't fix.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Been racking my brain but until I crack it open I won't know. I was hoping someone may have had experienced this and could provide some insight. Other than the limp mode power there was zero indication of a problem. No tick, no smoke, no miss, fluids were clean. Nothing that money and time can't fix.
Yeah I mean the easiest thing to do would be to pull the oil pan. The. You can inspect the crank. Next after that would he pulling the heads.

But again. If the motor wont turn PHYSICALLY. Iys something in the bottom end. Try turning the crank with a wrench to make sure its not some electrical fuckery

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'd want the oil pan dropped and a few rods and mains checked before I decided anything. I'd want to know why it locked up. No shop suggestions, but I'd have to believe a private shop would be much cheaper than the dealer.

Man that stinks. Sorry to hear about that. Good luck man

OP
OP
A

ACGilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I appreciate the suggestions. Don't know if it is possible with a serpentine but I've seen V-belts keep a motor from turning when the ac compressor locks up. That will be my first crossed fingers move, of course that was before tensioner pulley's. I agree with the oil pan then start at the top and work my way down. I'll update with some pics when I get to the culprit. Thanks...

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I appreciate the suggestions. Don't know if it is possible with a serpentine but I've seen V-belts keep a motor from turning when the ac compressor locks up. That will be my first crossed fingers move, of course that was before tensioner pulley's. I agree with the oil pan then start at the top and work my way down. I'll update with some pics when I get to the culprit. Thanks...

After pulling the oil pan. Before you do anything else. Get the serpentine belt off, and get a wrench and socket around the crank pulley. Try physically turning the crank. This will tell you if the motor is actually locked up.

If you do this, and the motor is locked up. you dont need to start at the top down... you need to start at the bottom. lol (I know you need to remove everything from the top to get to the bottom, but it will be in the bottom end)

OP
OP
A

ACGilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That is what I was attempting to convey. Serpentine belt was removed and still not budge on the rotation. Draining/filtering the oil now and will drop the pan to have a look see.

On the same note, the shop said they have done a few 6.4's here lately. The last one was a broken rod/cracked block and the one prior to that was a broken lifter. Tech said the lifter will mushroom and they were unable to get it out without damaging the journal so it too was essentially a lost block.

Headed up to get some pics and look at bearings.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
That is what I was attempting to convey. Serpentine belt was removed and still not budge on the rotation. Draining/filtering the oil now and will drop the pan to have a look see.

On the same note, the shop said they have done a few 6.4's here lately. The last one was a broken rod/cracked block and the one prior to that was a broken lifter. Tech said the lifter will mushroom and they were unable to get it out without damaging the journal so it too was essentially a lost block.

Good luck! let us know. i will always appreciate carnage pics!! i still have a piston on my desk at work from my racecar which has a giant hole in it. too much boost :).

My bet is you have bent a rod, and jammed the piston into the cylinder wall

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Could also be a front pump issue. I did see that once in a Ram where the front pump gears broke and locked up and engine would not budge. That’s pretty odd though.

Most likely a bottom end issue though.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L

Any new information on your truck? Very curious about what happened.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any new information on your truck? Very curious about what happened.

well he said he put mobil1 in it. mobil1 website clearly says they dont make a 0w-40 that meets the chrysler specification. hard to say what he dumped in there, 20w50, 5w30, 10w40. lord only knows

Last edited:

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These 6.4 are not a high mileage engine. Good luck getting it to 100k. Mines a 2018 and already some loud ticking and rough idle. And I only have 62k miles. I'll be happy to get 80,000.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
These 6.4 are not a high mileage engine. Good luck getting it to 100k. Mines a 2018 and already some loud ticking and rough idle. And I only have 62k miles. I'll be happy to get 80,000.
Met a guy in the parking lot one day, because I asked him how he liked his 2500 with the 6.4. He absolutely loved it! As we talked further, he told me he was a contractor for Chick Fil A, and he traveled the country doing remodels and new construction for them.

As it turned out, he had five 6.4’s! He said the Ram was the only truck he has tried that held up the the number of miles he put on them annually, which averaged close to 100,000 per year per truck. He tried other brands, and they couldn’t hold up. He said he traded them out when they hit 400,000 miles. He had 14’s which he traded to 18’s which he was driving when we talked.

So, I figure that I will never wear mine out!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
me either!

you have to keep in mind the caliber of most people on forums . their typically here because the vehicle has some kind of trouble. but they havent the foggiest idea what the trouble is or how severe because the large majority of vehicle owners are entirely clueless about the mechanical workings of a vehicle or how to diagnose, repair or maintain said vehicle.

like the guy above with some sort of tick and rough idle. he hasnt a clue what the problem is , all he knows is theres a weird sound from somewhere. could be a lifter, any mechanic worth a grain of salt could diagnose it in seconds as theres no mistaking lifter tick. but why go get it diagnosed, its easier to go on a forum and talk crap. the rough idle is probly a bad $20 sensor. stupid is as stupid does i guess

so ya . just remember the type of people your dealing with when you log on a forum