2014 Dodge ram 1500 sport - Battery dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That terminal was designed strange to my way of thinking, never saw one with that strange angle on it
It may break off if not careful
Lead is real soft

Using the proper tools, instead of pliers & screw drivers is always best

Watch this video, it explains the procedure enough that it would help a person that was doing the procedure for the first time & it would also help someone that has not tackled the same job for years.

Same terminal as was on my truck,and it's also the same terminal used on the trunk mounted batteries in the late model Challengers

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks lonestar, Wildone and Burn. The Nut is stuck to the screw and not moving when i use my wrench to tighten it..... Also the terminal itself is not going all the way inside the pole as shown in the pic. I am in Canada and not sure we have Wallyword here. Also i thought these are special terminals and i checked with part source here and they don't have it. Will try in Canadian tire tomorrow.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks lonestar, Wildone and Burn. The Nut is stuck to the screw and not moving when i use my wrench to tighten it..... Also the terminal itself is not going all the way inside the pole as shown in the pic. I am in Canada and not sure we have Wallyword here. Also i thought these are special terminals and i checked with part source here and they don't have it. Will try in Canadian tire tomorrow.
Wallyworld is Walmart and yes we have them in Canada.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Canadian Tire won't have it either.Loosen the nut as much as possible,it won't come off unless you break the bolt,as they're staked on the end,then take a small flat blade screwdriver,push it in the slot between the 2 sides of the terminal,and pry them apart,then the terminal will slide onto the battery post farther,and it should tighten up.Battery posts are tapered,and are bigger diameter the farther down the post you go,so if you can get the terminal to slide onto the post farther,it'll tighten up.There's nothing wrong with your battery terminal,that a little looking at,and prying won't fix.Where abouts in Calgary are you? They're "righty tighty / lefty loosey" and in that pic it looks like you have it all the way lefty loosey.If you heaved on the nut going lefty loosey like it looks like in the pic,it'll be jammed onto the staked end,and will take a bit of force to get it to go the other way otherwise known as righty tighty,which will tighten it back up.If you can't figure it out ,clamp a vise grip onto the terminal,and bring it out to Airdrie tomorrow and i'll fix it for you,just don't break the bolt on the terminal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Guys.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Omnisap, go to an auto parts store & buy a pair of pliers like below, then lift the battery clamp off of the battery.
Then insert the pliers inside of the hole & squeeze. That will open the clamp. it may cost you $15 cdn

One of the best tools ever for spreading battery terminal clamps

31hsXTTzbmL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Wild and GT. Will try that Wild. I just came back from Crossiron :)

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
**** if you'd let me know you were at Cross Iron,i would of brought a screwdriver and 10mm down and fixed it for you in the parking lot,lol
Haha no worries. Thanks alot.

If i am there this week, i will reach out to you.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2014 is doing the same thing and the battery tests fine. I've replaced the battery and it still tests good. This actually may have been going on for years but I just recently started leaving the truck sitting for +/- a week and it often won't start. I just keep it on a trickle charger now but will have the dealer look into it at some point (Maxcare warranty). I did have an independent shop do a check of some type and they said something is pulling too much juice when its sits but chasing it down is time consuming so I had them stop.

Grmarti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Burla, Buckeye and Dean,

Yes it was very cold last 2 weeks and went up to -45 C.

I am planning to return it in costco.. i have to look for the reciept (Big pain)

But just wondering, before putting the new battery, how can i clean the terminals?

OS
A good start to cleaning batteries is just a small wire brush, after cleaning and reinstalling ensued you can’t move the battery connector on the battery post.
If you also have corrosion built up its a good idea to use baking soda and warm water before you remove to clean with wire brush.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boosting is only going to get your started. If you do not use a battery charger to fully charge then you will continue having issues. Your alternator will not charge a battery. It only maintains. I live North of Calgary. I know the cold.

Poncherello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it the original? If so definitely replace it. Extreme heat and cold really beat up on a battery, especially a lead acid. My ‘16 has over 163k I’m on my 3rd, the 2nd battery was a Napa but 3rd one seems pretty good replaced a year ago, a Die Hard Platinum AGM, so far so good.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never saw anyone spread the battery clamp like this before

I have neva used 2 wrenches, just hold clamp with vise gripe, put in a big bladed straight screwdriver and pry. It does not take a monster amount of force. Also clean terminal and lightly lube/grease, slide right on and bolt down. Just do not be a monster and break the "terminal" off the battery, ie., do not use a Torque Wrench.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have neva used 2 wrenches, just hold clamp with vise gripe, put in a big bladed straight screwdriver and pry.
The old lead battery clamps i used to use a hacksaw blade to open up the gap some.I've even used a screw run in beside the clamp and post to help tighten the clamp up.
When you're in the middle of nowhere you use what ever works,lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The old lead battery clamps i used to use a hacksaw blade to open up the gap some.I've even used a screw run in beside the clamp and post to help tighten the clamp up.
When you're in the middle of nowhere you use what ever works,lol
YUP, have used all sort of things, and if clamp was bad, heck, stick a bolt in there to help tighten, flat piece of metal, even a small "C" clamp in emergency, wateva gets U back to the homestead so U can fix properly,

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im just gonna toss this oit there..Now i didnt read all the pages of replies so i hope im not repeating....
Do you have a tuner plugged in....If so it will drain your battery after a cpl days,yes even in sleep mode..

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
that nut is back out too much, tighten it back down a couple turns, it should come loose, unless you buggered it. My 14 sport has sat for a few days with no problem, Wifes Honda will drain down in winter in a week if it is not ran. I have checked for current draw with meters and it is in spec. Battery is fairly new, door not fully latch will kill it over night.
That will not happen with these trucks as the computer will turn off the interior lights
My truck battery is still the original battery, but these only 80K on it
They do live in the garage, so that makes a difference, it stays about 0-+5C at average winter temp, when we where -35 or so for a few days it was -5 to -8 c, not a big deal here.

Battery maintainer is just a small battery charger, trickle charge ,about 2-3amp that usually is mounted by the battery , hard wired in or clips, and you just plug in at night, keeps the battery toped up.
There was a discussion a week or 2-3 about this here.

Finding a current draw is a pita, but with a good meter, or even a cheap one ,it.
can be done.
You kind have to know what to look for and what current draw should be
There will always be a little draw.