2014 Interior into a 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I recently gutted a refreshed 4th gen ram and am planning on swapping it into my pre-refresh 4the gen. I’ve been looking through posts and know there were major changes made during the changeover in 2013. I have everything from the interior, every module, harness, air bags, etc.

I’m wondering if anyone knows if the pcm for the Cummins remained the same as I’m hoping if I change out the UEC all the other downstream connectors will be the same.

I in all fairness haven’t dug into it too much but I got a good deal on the interior and my truck only has 50k miles on it, no DEF, manual, etc. I could never justify replacing it at a reasonable price point for some interior upgrades.

Hoping there are a few folks who have already done some research that could share their insight before I start digging too much.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So I've been digging through pages of wiring harnesses and the only place I forsee a major challenge is the bus connection from the PCM to the BCM. The rest of the updates appear to be pretty manageable, swapping out other wiring harnesses, and a lot of the stuff is internal to the cab, where on a full gut is already covered.

Does anyone know if the communication protocols changed on the high speed bus? I notice on the 2014 it's called CAN C but on my 2011 it's just called CAN BUS. First test will probably just be hooking up the instrument cluster, and BCM as a piggyback and seeing if the gauges do anything with power and the CAN C lines connected.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Of course the shop manual for my 2011 highlights the use of Bosch CAN specification 2.0b but some genius thought that information wasn't relevant when they wrote the version covering the facelifted version of these trucks. The successor to CAN C was CAN FD which of course launched in 2012, upside, theoretically it's backwards compatible.

This could work but my concern is becoming whether or not EFILive will still work to tune my truck or if it's going to get really confused about what vehicle it's talking to, same goes for AlphaOBD...

I guess I better hurry up and finish my kitchen renovation so I can dive into this.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a guy on the 4th gen rams Facebook group who did this, he mentioned having to swap the engine harness, pcm and tipm over. I’d get in touch with him, there are a few other guys who have done similar interior swaps but to varying extents.

IMG_9533.png

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
That is super helpful feedback, thanks!! Will be joining that group shortly.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What’s it take to join this group man!?!? I’ve been waiting since yesterday lol!