2014 Ram 1500 Backupcamera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeLoneWulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hello!
First time truck owner/ram owner. I recently received this vehicle from a family friend and it has been amazing! But there are somethings i wanted/and or would like to do to the truck to help make improvements and be safer for the family! So couple of questions if anyones got the time to help here:

1. The back up camera for the truck was never installed but it says on the side of the driver door that it is available and ready for hook up.

2. Ive seen some back up cameras for sale online for both mopar/junk yards etc etc. would i have to find the specific year for this vehicle to have a back up camera or would any year be ok for it to be pick and pull?

3. For the previous question asked about the door sign, would this mean after so many years would i need to replace the harness sense it has been so long that the cables wouldnt work? The truck bed locking cable still works but im willing to give it a 50/50 shot!

4. Where would be the best place to have the program activated for the back up camera feature?

Any help would be appreciated!

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The current camera part number is 56038978AL, but anything back to AC would work.
I strongly recommend sticking with mopar. The cheap chinese ones on ebay that pretend to be mopar do not have fish eye lense and the worst contrast I've ever seen.

Does your truck have the tailgate handle with the hole in it? That might need to be replaced. Also there are 2 pigtails in the tailgate that you need to look at to make sure you have the correct wiring.
This is the small one the camera plugs into 68189124AC

As for activation, probably could do it in alfaobd. I've never checked but I would assume so.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Welcome - there's a ton of info available - here are two threads that will help get you started - but be for-warned, it is a lot of reading

OP
OP
L

LeLoneWulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
The current camera part number is 56038978AL, but anything back to AC would work.
I strongly recommend sticking with mopar. The cheap chinese ones on ebay that pretend to be mopar do not have fish eye lense and the worst contrast I've ever seen.

Does your truck have the tailgate handle with the hole in it? That might need to be replaced. Also there are 2 pigtails in the tailgate that you need to look at to make sure you have the correct wiring.
This is the small one the camera plugs into 68189124AC

As for activation, probably could do it in alfaobd. I've never checked but I would assume so.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your Ram must have a RA 2 5" screen or
one of the two larger 8" screens, RA 3 & RA 4

From what i understand, the RA2 5" has two options
#1 is the image is on the radio screen
#2 the image is on the rear view mirror, which to me is too small & takes your eyes in a uncomfortable position when backing up

There are several youtube videos that show how to run your wiring
this video is one of the better ones

there are 2 different cameras,
one had no guidance lines, the other one is so much better
when you turn your front wheels, the guidance lines show your turn radius & how close a wall or tree is, by color coding

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you plan on doing other modifications, like
Tailgate camera
electric folding mirrors
daylight running lights
Integrated Brake Controller
etc.

Each of these things require Activating
you either have to pay the dealership
or
buy the ALFAOBD tool & it will pay for itself

OP
OP
L

LeLoneWulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Your Ram must have a RA 2 5" screen or
one of the two larger 8" screens, RA 3 & RA 4

From what i understand, the RA2 5" has two options
#1 is the image is on the radio screen
#2 the image is on the rear view mirror, which to me is too small & takes your eyes in a uncomfortable position when backing up

There are several youtube videos that show how to run your wiring
this video is one of the better ones

there are 2 different cameras,
one had no guidance lines, the other one is so much better
when you turn your front wheels, the guidance lines show your turn radius & how close a wall or tree is, by color coding
That seems like a good way to get it installed. but i have a 8.4 screen, on the side of the door it says its GPS and camera ready? ive looked up details by vin and they are saying that its all camera ready i just dont have the door handle to do it but i also havent opened it up to see if the cabling is there for the install. im sorry if im asking so much or if im not making a lot of sense. this is the newest/nicest vehicle i currently own to date and just wanna have some nicer features.
Please do let me know if theres more to it than what ive asked, pleae and thank you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
so your 2014 Ram does not have a Tailgate Handle camera, is what you are saying ?

The tailgate camera for yours also fits 2013 - 2018 Ram tailgate handles, it likely fits other years, but the sellers like to stay safe with the fitments

It also works with these radios, RA2 5" , RA3 8.4" , RA4 8.4" Navigation

The question that i would have, would CAMERA READY mean that the Radio is Programmed for the camera to work

& the wiring & camera needs to be installed
or
the wiring is installed, but not the tailgate handle & camera

2 places to check are on the tailgate, there is an Inspection Cover, look for a unattached wiring pigtail

Or

In back of the license plate, there is a unattached wiring pigtail

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LeLoneWulf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
So this is what i have currently found on my 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x2 addition. any ideas?

Attachments

• 2014 Ram Handle.jpg
    2014 Ram Handle.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 Ram Cable Connector.jpg
    2014 Ram Cable Connector.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 Ram Cable Harness #1.jpg
    2014 Ram Cable Harness #1.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 Ram Cable Harness #2.jpg
    2014 Ram Cable Harness #2.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 Ram Handle.jpg
    2014 Ram Handle.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 3
  • 2014 Ram Picture Door pannel.jpg
    2014 Ram Picture Door pannel.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 3

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
just watch the video that i posted in reply #5

he goes step by step, watch each connection he makes, so you will know what you are missing

ON my 2009, my dealership had never seen a tailgate camera before
So the Service Adviser & the mechanic went over to the Sales Lot & found a Laramie that came with it from the factory & opened the tailgate up, then they installed the camera for me

My 2016 was ordered with the camera with guide lines

iiDfnZ.jpg

mgxHwm.jpg

Last edited: