2014 Ram 1500 check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm driving a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 sport regular cab 5.7 hemi ,just turned 78,000 miles. Last night after pulling into the garage I shut it down and climbed out of the truck and noticed a smell that seemed unusual, like clutch dust mixed with burnt plastic? Any way I hope in the truck today and on my way to work the truck ran fine ,but half way to work( about ten minutes) my check engine light pops on! I'm at work now so I can't check it out till later, but thought I'd post to see if anybody had any thoughts?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Probably won't be able to make a determination on what's happened until you get the code read and post up the results here.

Let us know what you find out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You do need some form of code reader.

You can go to an auto parts store. Most of them will read your codes for no charge.

OP
OP
limechallenger

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok ,I was able to check it tonight ,my Superchips Flash/Cal shows a PO456, small EVAP leak. I hope its just the gas cap! I'll check it tomorrow, then clear the code and see if it comes back!

RAMLUVR69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do , is there a way to see codes without plugging in a scanner?

I don't know if this works for every year, but for my 2012 if you turn the key from completely off to RUN 3 times fairly rapidly (without cranking the engine) and with the third twist of the key leave it in the RUN position, it will display any current codes.

Only works if the CIL is currently on, it won't display any stored codes.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience with the small evap leak code ended up being the purge solenoid by the throttle body. If it's not your gas cap, it could be that. It's a cheap part that is easy to replace.

Not sure what caused that funky smell though....

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gas cap, purge solenoid or leak detection pump. Had the same issue on my 2014 at right about the same mileage as you. I replaced them all. it turned out to be the last replacement that was my problem, the leak detection pump. I'd say start there first. If you don't see any issues with the seal on your gas cap and you are not getting a gas cap light, I'd not bother to change that first.

When your trying to figure out how to remove the leak detection pump, there is a small clip you need to depress on the backside of it that is facing the tank. You'll see what I'm talking about when you buy a new one. Don't forget that unless you want to drive yourself mad wondering why it won't come off!!!

Silby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a 2014 with a Hemi.Do you like your superchip,and was it an easy install without doing anything else to the computer? Have you noticed any improvement in performance?