2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 5.0 to 8.4 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famoore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have looked around some for recommendations and instructions for upgrading my 2014 2500 Big Horn from the Uconnect 5.0 to Uconnect 8.4. It seems there are a couple different ways but it all depends on current options/features and desired options/features of the new system. Any information is appreciated and I can definitely tell there are some people in this community that are experts at these upgrades. I will list my current OEM features below and what I'm looking to do with the 8.4 upgrade. I also attached some pictures of the bezel and radio wiring.

Current 5.0/Truck Features:
- Uconnect 5.0 with hands free calling/Bluetooth media, satellite radio, FM/AM, usb/audio jack in center console (center console is the one where it is lifted for additional seat, not the one fixed to the floor all the way to dash)
- Auto dimming rearview mirror with Bluetooth setup (side mirrors also auto dim)
- Steering wheel controls for both radio/Bluetooth and phone controls
- Heated steering wheel/seats
- upgraded gauge cluster
- 4 speed blower/fan control (manual)

Desired 8.4 upgrade features: (I don't mind staying with the 4 speed fan if there is a significant price difference in that upgrade vs the climate module, etc.. upgrade and new auto temperature bezel)
- Android Auto/Carplay functionality
- maintain all Bluetooth/phone functionality with the integrated steering wheel controls and rearview mirror
- heater controls to work on both the touch screen and manual adjustments (may not be available if sticking with 4 speed control bezel, idk)
- heated seats/steering wheel to work on both touch screen and manual on/off buttons (may not be available if sticking with 4 speed control bezel as well)
- don't really need the navigation since I plan on using the Android auto/Carplay for that but if it comes with preprogrammed with the head unit purchased I would keep it

Thank you guys again and sorry for the lengthy post,

Drew

Attachments

• 20230826_120028.jpg
    20230826_120028.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230826_120032.jpg
    20230826_120032.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230826_120056.jpg
    20230826_120056.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230826_120549.jpg
    20230826_120549.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 20

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have looked around some for recommendations and instructions for upgrading my 2014 2500 Big Horn from the Uconnect 5.0 to Uconnect 8.4. It seems there are a couple different ways but it all depends on current options/features and desired options/features of the new system. Any information is appreciated and I can definitely tell there are some people in this community that are experts at these upgrades. I will list my current OEM features below and what I'm looking to do with the 8.4 upgrade. I also attached some pictures of the bezel and radio wiring.

Current 5.0/Truck Features:
- Uconnect 5.0 with hands free calling/Bluetooth media, satellite radio, FM/AM, usb/audio jack in center console (center console is the one where it is lifted for additional seat, not the one fixed to the floor all the way to dash)
- Auto dimming rearview mirror with Bluetooth setup (side mirrors also auto dim)
- Steering wheel controls for both radio/Bluetooth and phone controls
- Heated steering wheel/seats
- upgraded gauge cluster
- 4 speed blower/fan control (manual)

Desired 8.4 upgrade features: (I don't mind staying with the 4 speed fan if there is a significant price difference in that upgrade vs the climate module, etc.. upgrade and new auto temperature bezel)
- Android Auto/Carplay functionality
- maintain all Bluetooth/phone functionality with the integrated steering wheel controls and rearview mirror
- heater controls to work on both the touch screen and manual adjustments (may not be available if sticking with 4 speed control bezel, idk)
- heated seats/steering wheel to work on both touch screen and manual on/off buttons (may not be available if sticking with 4 speed control bezel as well)
- don't really need the navigation since I plan on using the Android auto/Carplay for that but if it comes with preprogrammed with the head unit purchased I would keep it

Thank you guys again and sorry for the lengthy post,

Drew
@Mpgrimm2 can tell you exactly what parts you'll need and sell you all of the harness/adapters you will need to make the upgrade work.

bk66440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drew would you be willing to sell your 5.0 radio in any parts you're not going to use after converting. I wanted to convert a plain Jane radio to the 5.0 and I need a tailgate camera and a Bluetooth rear view. Thanks

OP
OP
F

famoore1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Drew would you be willing to sell your 5.0 radio in any parts you're not going to use after converting. I wanted to convert a plain Jane radio to the 5.0 and I need a tailgate camera and a Bluetooth rear view. Thanks
@bk66440 - If I do this conversion, I would be open to selling the radio and bezel/climate control. I will get ahold of you if I go through with this upgrade.

Buhshaun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I just finished adding Apple Carplay/Android Auto to my 2017 RAM and started a thread for it.