2014 Ram 8 speed transmission oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeguy66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some advice for changing my transmission oil on my 8 speed transmission. I purchased a replacement pan with replaceable filter and Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle transmission oil from Rockauto but haven't installed anything yet. I've been hearing some conflicted reports of people saying this oil is no good for the 8 speed. Is that true? I've done a lot of research on this oil and it seems to be showing that it is compatible, according to part number references and the description on the back of the bottle. The 8 speed transmission on this truck is the 8HP70 correct? Also is it a ZF transmission? If so, then I beleive this oil is perfectly compatible. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Thanks.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats what most guys run, Myself included. I would never waste money on overpriced OEM fluids.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I need some advice for changing my transmission oil on my 8 speed transmission. I purchased a replacement pan with replaceable filter and Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle transmission oil from Rockauto but haven't installed anything yet. I've been hearing some conflicted reports of people saying this oil is no good for the 8 speed. Is that true? I've done a lot of research on this oil and it seems to be showing that it is compatible, according to part number references and the description on the back of the bottle. The 8 speed transmission on this truck is the 8HP70 correct? Also is it a ZF transmission? If so, then I beleive this oil is perfectly compatible. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Thanks.
Does your truck have a dial shifter,Canada was FCA's dumping ground for the older 6 speed RFE transmission,and we still had 2019 trucks getting the RFE transmission.The 8 speed and 6 speed use totally differant fluids and pans,so if you don't have a dial shifter on the dash,you have the wrong fluid and pan for your 14

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Definitely is a dial shifter.
Here's the instructions for checking the fluid level after you do the pan swap.
The rear tires of the truck need to be roughly 8 to 9" off the ground to level the pan rail.
These are the factory instructions that come with a brand new truck 8 speed,cost me a few bucks to get them,lol
The colder the transmission is at the start of the procedure the better,as the maxinium checking temp is 122F,but i've since found out the ideal checking temps are closer to 110F,so the colder the transmission at the start the better

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 29

J-rod0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The biggest issue I've run into with fluid that's not Mopar 8 & 9 speed is some shift quality issues. I work at a dealer and am a master tech so just going from my experience I'd just stick with OEM fluid. now if you can find off-brand 8 & 9 speed fluid it should be the same.

iWolfRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dorman pan and Valvoline ATF here, only been running it a month. But it’s working perfect. Shifting great, temps good, no complaints.