2014 Ram passenger side intermediate axle shaft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here so bare with me. Just bought this Ram a couple months ago and while doing the brakes I noticed that the passenger side CV shaft was almost falling off of the axle. Bought a new CV shaft and installed it and it is still sloppy on the stub shaft. Talked to the local Chrysler garage and the guy tells me I will have to replace the whole differential and the axle shaft is not replaceable like the drivers side. Is this indeed the way it is or was he feeding me a line of BS. I really don't want to dump another 2 or 3 thousand into this truck if I can help it. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank You

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
New here so bare with me. Just bought this Ram a couple months ago and while doing the brakes I noticed that the passenger side CV shaft was almost falling off of the axle. Bought a new CV shaft and installed it and it is still sloppy on the stub shaft. Talked to the local Chrysler garage and the guy tells me I will have to replace the whole differential and the axle shaft is not replaceable like the drivers side. Is this indeed the way it is or was he feeding me a line of BS. I really don't want to dump another 2 or 3 thousand into this truck if I can help it. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank You
http://rickroodstransmission.com/

These guys have a rebuild kit. Check my build thread out I highlight this exact kit. It's pretty easy to do yourself as well or a competent mechanic could do this in maybe a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this kit work on a 2014 Ram 1500? How do I get to your build thread?

OP
OP
Y

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hodge -xj thanks for the info. I have a intermediate shaft kit ordered. If you have any tips or useful tricks let me know please. Thanks Kelly

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
OP
OP
Y

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the passenger side diff intermediate axle housing removed. Disassembly was a breeze. Intermediate axle was almost round on the end. C-clip was non existent. Lots of wobble on the CV shaft. Should have my parts from rickroodtransmissions tomorrow and the reassembly will begin. I wonder how many differential units Chrysler sells because they wont sell the axle kit? Asshats anyways.

OP
OP
Y

youmie440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The job is done now. About 3 hrs start to finish. Thank you so much hodge -xj for the info on the job.

Nicholas McEwen

Nickayde2
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi guys,

I have the same issue with my 13 BigHorn and got my kit from Rick as well. Just wondering if I should order another cv axle. I replaced it about a year ago when this whole issue started and just now getting to doing it right. But the splines in the cv side should be ok right. It's just the half shaft that is getting the wear on it. Would replacing the cv, hub too be overkill or uneccessary?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hi guys,

I have the same issue with my 13 BigHorn and got my kit from Rick as well. Just wondering if I should order another cv axle. I replaced it about a year ago when this whole issue started and just now getting to doing it right. But the splines in the cv side should be ok right. It's just the half shaft that is getting the wear on it. Would replacing the cv, hub too be overkill or uneccessary?
I would order one just to be safe. Without seeing it in person its hard to say, but you can always return the parts if not needed. Mid project parts store runs are never fun.

As for hubs, how many miles on the truck?