2014 Ram Tow Mirror add on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mach83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I purchased a new 2014 Ram 2500 and decided to add factory tow mirrors, replacing the mirrors that came with the truck. 2 days later got an engine check light. Unknown to the service techs, the standard driver side mirror comes with a temp sensor that supplies info to the ECM. Tow mirrors (even factory tow mirrors) don't have a temp sensor built into the mirror.

Who would of thought that someone would dare want to add tow mirrors to their truck to tow thier nice new travel trailer. When new trucks are ordered with tow mirrors, the sensors are repositioned somewhere else on the vehicle. The dealer techs don't have the where-with-all or tech info to add a new sensor and wire it in.

Back when I worked with engineers, we built per plans, then modified to fit. Please explain to me why this can't be done now?

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^This. When ordered from the factory, 13+ trucks with tow mirrors do have the sensor built into the mirror. You just need to get the mirror with the sensor...

OP
OP
Mach83

Mach83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'll look into it.

OP
OP
Mach83

Mach83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did some checking on another forum and the 13 may not be compatible with the ECM on the later truck. Some suggest that the door module needs to be changed. I don't want to go through that hassle. Talk to a couple of parts guys at two different dealers and they are no help. They only think 14, not 13. I'm inclined to accept the idea that the 13 will work but need to do some more checking. I appreciate the input.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
13 will work, the door modules and reflash if i remember correctly are only needed if switching to the power folds from non power fold mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick_Mac