2015 5.7 - Wanting to do LTs under warranty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All. Long time lurker and this is my 2nd ram (1st one was a 2013).

I am wanting to do some long tubes on the truck but I have some conerncs and questions. Firstly, the truck already has the following:
- Volant CAI
- 14" Magnaflow
- Levelling kit w/ 20x10s and 35s

I am leaning towards ARH or SW LTs with the catted mid pipe in hopes to avoid the CEL due to 02 readings. Since the truck is still under warranty for 35,000 more kms I can't say I'm overly excited about having it tuned and it makes a bit more complicated since its a 2015.

Here are my questions with the headers:
- Will I throw a CEL if I remane untuned? If so, can I get away with 02 spacers and the steel wool mod?
- Are there any worthwile piggy-back tuners with "canned" tunes that will imrpove the above mods?
- If I get it tuned and get a handheld (think T2 w/ Hemi Fever) can I still go to the dealershipa and return the unlocked PCM to stock (assume I would swap for an unlucked PCM with Moe's)

Here is what I am after:
- Better fuel economy all around w/ more efficieny
- I tow a little bit (1,600 lb enlcosed sled trailer unloaded so about 4-5,000 fully loaded) but the truck does have 3.21s (8spd trans). I'd like to make the turck work a little less harder here and it should with LTs
- I don't drag race this truck and I doubt I ever will, so I am not adter a track or dyno number
- I will likely keep the 14" Magnflow and stock tails unless someone can convince me its worth going "true' duals with an X and 2 mufflers.

Brands on my radar in order of preference:
- ARH
- SW
- JBA (I realize these dont offer Catted mid-pipe so I would have to do something on my own here or go catless and shoot for the PCM swap)

Any help or suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've also considered addding 87mm TB down the line too.

Thanks!

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with headers (short or long) you will have to fight real hard for that warranty if somethings wrong with the powertrain.

If something wasn't right it would have give you some sign by now, the lifters issue might bite you anytime, but that I see it as a opportunity for a cam ;)

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go with headers (short or long) you will have to fight real hard for that warranty if somethings wrong with the powertrain.

If something wasn't right it would have give you some sign by now, the lifters issue might bite you anytime, but that I see it as a opportunity for a cam ;)

I think the dealer would be ok to be honest. They don't care about the CAI or exhaust when it comes to warranty work. I know headers are slightly differnet but they are at least in the same conversation IMO.

To be honest I had no idea that lifters were a problem on these! What are the symtpoms usually?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I beg to differ , my dealer straight up told me even tho headers Aren’t a internal engine mod ... the tune required for the long tubes voids warranty . Any major engine issues would be suspect and blamed on tune ..... in currently in the shop with my truck dealing with hesitant start / intermittent misfire codes . I have long tubes .. on a 2015 ram (21k’cmiles) with longtubes and pretty much have been told I’m SOL on warranty . I’m just hoping it’s an injector issue not a lifter. Good luck. Just be ready to sacrifice the warranty for some hp ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I beg to differ , my dealer straight up told me even tho headers Aren’t a internal engine mod ... the tune required for the long tubes voids warranty . Any major engine issues would be suspect and blamed on tune ..... in currently in the shop with my truck dealing with hesitant start / intermittent misfire codes . I have long tubes .. on a 2015 ram (21k’cmiles) with longtubes and pretty much have been told I’m SOL on warranty . I’m just hoping it’s an injector issue not a lifter. Good luck. Just be ready to sacrifice the warranty for some hp ;-)

First off, sorry to hear about the issue with the truck :( I hope its an easy fix and it gets sorted easily for you.

One of the main reasons I started this thread was because I am contemplating going with LTs but not running a tune (or possibly a piggy back...DiabloSport just launched a new one but I am not sure it will do anything for these mods).

I'll need to clarify with my contacts at the dealer in regards to the LTs.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not an expert but think u need a tune to accommodate the headers. Unless there’s a different way to trick the o2 sensors.

But thanks for the positive vibes ... I’ll take all I can get. I really hope it’s not lifters.... gonna be a big decision on what to do if it is and it’s decided it’ll be $$ out of my pocket.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not an expert but think u need a tune to accommodate the headers. Unless there’s a different way to trick the o2 sensors.

But thanks for the positive vibes ... I’ll take all I can get. I really hope it’s not lifters.... gonna be a big decision on what to do if it is and it’s decided it’ll be $$ out of my pocket.

I've read that some users have not thrown codes when running a catted mid-pipe. It really will be one of those cases where id have to try it to see if its going to throw the code or not. Without a tune I wouldn't be optimizing the gains with LTs. Maybe I should just stick with the 2013 out of warranty lol!

In regards to your truck, I'm sending my best vibes your way. I really didn't know anything about lifter issues with these trucks. I know lots of poeple with these Rams and this is the first I've encountetred it.

Thanks for the input thus far!

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read that some users have not thrown codes when running a catted mid-pipe. It really will be one of those cases where id have to try it to see if its going to throw the code or not. Without a tune I wouldn't be optimizing the gains with LTs. Maybe I should just stick with the 2013 out of warranty lol!

In regards to your truck, I'm sending my best vibes your way. I really didn't know anything about lifter issues with these trucks. I know lots of poeple with these Rams and this is the first I've encountetred it.

Thanks for the input thus far!

No prob! Good luck! ARH Long tubes really woke up my truck with 3:21s but I have high flow cats and a tune . I think my problem may lay with a cracked intake manifold due to. A stripped throttle body bolt that’s been giving me hassle. But I have to get clarification .... fingers crossed for sure.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No prob! Good luck! ARH Long tubes really woke up my truck with 3:21s but I have high flow cats and a tune . I think my problem may lay with a cracked intake manifold due to. A stripped throttle body bolt that’s been giving me hassle. But I have to get clarification .... fingers crossed for sure.

I can imagine. These stock log-ifolds are a discrace! I'm not sure whats worse though; the stock manifolds or the Y-pipe.

I referenced the piggy-back "tuner" earlier in this thread. I was referring to the Pulsar. Whats cool about it is that this one allows for tire and gear ratio inputs. This might just have to be the way to go until warranty is up since I am not sure I am ready to risk it for the biscuit just yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can imagine. These stock log-ifolds are a discrace! I'm not sure whats worse though; the stock manifolds or the Y-pipe.

I referenced the piggy-back "tuner" earlier in this thread. I was referring to the Pulsar. Whats cool about it is that this one allows for tire and gear ratio inputs. This might just have to be the way to go until warranty is up since I am not sure I am ready to risk it for the biscuit just yet.

Where abouts are you in Sask? The warrenty issue depends on your local dealer more then anything,find a small town dealer (which isn't hard in Saskatchewan,lol) and cultivate a good relationship with them.I've had my rear diff done twice under warrenty on my nitrous'd truck.They know the truck is raced weekly and is on Drag Radials at the track,but I also try to send as many buying customers their way as possible,and they know that.If you're on good terms with a dealer that'll be your best bet for keeping your warrenty.I'm originally from Kindersley,so still a die hard Rider fan,lol

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where abouts are you in Sask? The warrenty issue depends on your local dealer more then anything,find a small town dealer (which isn't hard in Saskatchewan,lol) and cultivate a good relationship with them.I've had my rear diff done twice under warrenty on my nitrous'd truck.They know the truck is raced weekly and is on Drag Radials at the track,but I also try to send as many buying customers their way as possible,and they know that.If you're on good terms with a dealer that'll be your best bet for keeping your warrenty.I'm originally from Kindersley,so still a die hard Rider fan,lol

Small world!

I've got a good relationship with the dealer I currently go to. The problem with going the LT route is getting the tune done and that may cause issues.

I'm in Saskatoon.

Oh, and NFL > CFL LOL. Sorry but I just had to. I am not a riders fan nor a CFL fan but I will watch it from time to time.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the dealer would be ok to be honest. They don't care about the CAI or exhaust when it comes to warranty work. I know headers are slightly differnet but they are at least in the same conversation IMO.

To be honest I had no idea that lifters were a problem on these! What are the symtpoms usually?
For the lifter issue it will often show up as a misfire code and you might feel the truck is down on power.

I've run ARH with cats for 2 days before I got my updated tune and no CEL, it might work and throw a code from time to time but you can easily erase them with a little Bluetooth obd2 device.

The cats with the ARH smell a lot more than the factory ones so they might trigger a CEL from time to time

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Small world!

I've got a good relationship with the dealer I currently go to. The problem with going the LT route is getting the tune done and that may cause issues.

I'm in Saskatoon.

Oh, and NFL > CFL LOL. Sorry but I just had to. I am not a riders fan nor a CFL fan but I will watch it from time to time.

There's a good HP tuner that hits Saskatoon fairly often.All you need is the unlocked PCM and he can tune it for less then it'd cost you to buy a handheld tuner.Look up Player 3 Performance tuning in Edmonton.Chris makes the jaunt over to Saskatoon for tuning sessions fairly often. Hunt up Steven Cooper on facebook,he's running his little nitrous'd truck fairly often at SIR,and can help you with your header choices etc.He's running JBA's on his,i'm also running JBA's on mine,but i'm over here just north of Calgary now.Cooper runs a pretty little blue regular cab shortbox R/T so he's easy to find at SIR too,lol.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All. Long time lurker and this is my 2nd ram (1st one was a 2013).

I am wanting to do some long tubes on the truck but I have some conerncs and questions. Firstly, the truck already has the following:
- Volant CAI
- 14" Magnaflow
- Levelling kit w/ 20x10s and 35s

I am leaning towards ARH or SW LTs with the catted mid pipe in hopes to avoid the CEL due to 02 readings. Since the truck is still under warranty for 35,000 more kms I can't say I'm overly excited about having it tuned and it makes a bit more complicated since its a 2015.

Here are my questions with the headers:
- Will I throw a CEL if I remane untuned? If so, can I get away with 02 spacers and the steel wool mod?
- Are there any worthwile piggy-back tuners with "canned" tunes that will imrpove the above mods?
- If I get it tuned and get a handheld (think T2 w/ Hemi Fever) can I still go to the dealershipa and return the unlocked PCM to stock (assume I would swap for an unlucked PCM with Moe's)

Here is what I am after:
- Better fuel economy all around w/ more efficieny
- I tow a little bit (1,600 lb enlcosed sled trailer unloaded so about 4-5,000 fully loaded) but the truck does have 3.21s (8spd trans). I'd like to make the turck work a little less harder here and it should with LTs
- I don't drag race this truck and I doubt I ever will, so I am not adter a track or dyno number
- I will likely keep the 14" Magnflow and stock tails unless someone can convince me its worth going "true' duals with an X and 2 mufflers.

Brands on my radar in order of preference:
- ARH
- SW
- JBA (I realize these dont offer Catted mid-pipe so I would have to do something on my own here or go catless and shoot for the PCM swap)

Any help or suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've also considered addding 87mm TB down the line too.

Thanks!
My dealer installed my kooks lt w catted y on my 17 , warranty intact , no cels on stick tuning , jay Greene pcm
And engine tune for my mods really woke it up
-phil

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Tune gets full
Benefit of headers, not needed for to Keep cel off